Gun control? We need medication control!!!!!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Vivo

Re: Gun control? We need medication control!!!!!

Post by Vivo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:43 pm

All you hear in the media is guns and video games are to blame and need to be regulated
more. Nothing about these dangerous drugs. :roll:

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beatmunga wrote: Lets reference against Hare's Psychopathy Checklist (the accepted world standard - accepted by virtually everyone except Machinesworking that is) shall we?:

Factor 1: Personality "Aggressive narcissism"
I would certainly call it aggressive narcissism to ignore my replies, and start dropping my name into your talking points.
In fact I couldn't think of a more plain example as far as internet based conversations go.
wiki:
Hare receives royalties on licensed use of the test.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sorry Machines, these two threads are almost interchangeable at times. Psychopathy is cropping up in both - what a coincidence.

And to be honest, there is no point debating our views any more are there? You’ve made it quite clear that you don’t believe that a minority of people are born with a neurological disorder which predisposes them to what society calls ‘psychopathic’ behaviour.

Whereas I believe it quite strongly. And so do many other people.

My own particular views on this are based on, for example: a best selling book by an extremely respected and objective journalist (Jon Ronson); numerous scientific studies that prove a significantly reduced amygdala response in certain individuals who exhibit psychopathic behaviour; and my own life experience.

You’ll forgive me if you haven’t shaken my views on this issue with your posts.

So with that in mind, we’ve both stated our views on the subject, and can’t find any common ground.

(This has happened a few times between us on this forum to my reckoning).

Therefore, as you have proven to be someone with whom it is increasingly obvious I have absolutely nothing in common, I shall simply resort to gently taking the piss out of you in snarky ways when opportunities present themselves.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:38 pm

Forge. wrote:seriously, what the hell does a regular citizen need to defend themselves against with a weapon like this;

Dunno. But that weapon will surely come in handy when you have to overthrow a government that actually has the BALLS to use a poster like this:

O. M. F. G

8O :| 8O
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Seriously. I can barely think of a more horrifying propaganda move in the States that even remotely compares to the GHASTLINESS of that poster.

wow. just..wow.

:x

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:10 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Seriously. I can barely think of a more horrifying propaganda move in the States that even remotely compares to the GHASTLINESS of that poster.

wow. just..wow.

:x
Yeah I already posted that same picture. The UK and US governments are peas in a pod in this. NDAA hasn't gone away...etc etc etc... I guess the US government and it's massive propaganda network in the mainstream media just doesn't tell you anything about it. Maybe it's harder to hide the huge number of cameras in the UK though??

But again, at what point do these guns get used against it? Sounds good in theory, but the bastards are already doing all of it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:33 pm

beatmunga wrote: Therefore, as you have proven to be someone with whom it is increasingly obvious I have absolutely nothing in common, I shall simply resort to gently taking the piss out of you in snarky ways when opportunities present themselves.
Aggressive narcissism at it's finest.
"I do not agree with someone, therefore their opinion doesn't matter."
You actually cannot find a more perfect example of the behavior socially.

Again there is an overwhelming majority of the psychiatric community that believes nurture is far more of a shaper of complex emotional states like empathy.
Plus the simple fact is genetic based research into things like an individuals emotional and intellectual capacity has consistently led to all kinds of abuse by authoritarian systems for thousands of years now. with that in mind any research into genetic based psychiatric abnormalities should be rigorously vetted scientifically before being presented as 'fact'. Your studies have not been, period.

A large part of the problem I have with your view is that like many people you've read a book or two and have decided that now your opinion is based on facts that are beyond discussion. It's a very very short sighted view of the world and in my opinion it's a dangerously limited perspective. It's also a great example of why actually reading the counter point to any idea or study you think is relevant is almost a prerequisite to having an informed opinion about a subject as opposed to reactionary.
I wouldn't think that was the case if you didn't:
State an opinion as fact.
Use rhetorical questions as rebuttals.
Not clarify in the least why you think the way you do about the subject beyond "I read a book, and I met one in real life."
Then resort to grade school insults.

Way to go! :lol:

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:58 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Aggressive narcissism at it's finest.
But you don't have any faith in Hare's checklist, do you? So why use it in attack? Seems a bit hypocritical.
Machinesworking wrote:"I do not agree with someone, therefore their opinion doesn't matter."
It's not that it doesn't matter at all. It matters to you, obviously. I actually find your opinions matter a lot - I find them quite worrying. As you do mine. That is our prerogative.
Machinesworking wrote:Again there is an overwhelming majority of the psychiatric community that believes nurture is far more of a shaper of complex emotional states like empathy.
Plus the simple fact is genetic based research into things like an individuals emotional and intellectual capacity has consistently led to all kinds of abuse by authoritarian systems for thousands of years now. with that in mind any research into genetic based psychiatric abnormalities should be rigorously vetted scientifically before being presented as 'fact'. Your studies have not been, period.
You are still confusing the 'psychopath/empathy' thing. Not all lack of empathy is due to psychopathy. No-one has ever stated that. It's just that psychopaths don't tend to have any empathy. That is a big factor in their behavioural traits. If you refute this, and have evidence of empathy in clinical psychopaths, I'd be interested in any research, books, studies, whatever, to back up your 'facts'?

(I love the way you stated that nothing can be accepted as fact, as an ireffutible fact, by the way)
Machinesworking wrote: A large part of the problem I have with your view is that like many people you've read a book or two and have decided that now your opinion is based on facts that are beyond discussion.

You may sneer at the books I've read, but I'd be happy to check out any alternatives at your recommendation. I'm open to discussion on this if you can recommend me some reading which has informed your views on psychopathy (or your denial of it).
Machinesworking wrote:It's a very very short sighted view of the world and in my opinion it's a dangerously limited perspective. It's also a great example of why actually reading the counter point to any idea or study you think is relevant is almost a prerequisite to having an informed opinion about a subject as opposed to reactionary.
You can dress it up in as much high school debating language as you wish. Again, give me the counterpoint from people other than you. With all due respect, statements like the one you made below don't exactly endear you as the objective voice of reason:
Machinesworking wrote:"I've dealt with probably more dangerous violent criminals and the wreckage a damaged individual like that can leave behind than I'm almost 100% sure any of you have"
Actually, I'm lying about all due respect - statements like that, and many others of yours I've read, make it hard for me to respect your views. Got to be honest.

The medium is really getting in the way of the message again.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:24 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:
Forge. wrote:seriously, what the hell does a regular citizen need to defend themselves against with a weapon like this;

Dunno. But that weapon will surely come in handy when you have to overthrow a government that actually has the BALLS to use a poster like this:

O. M. F. G

8O :| 8O
Whilst I can see that this is far from good, CCTV is the least of my worries on the bus round our way.

Cunts skinning up weed in plain view of primary school kids at 8:30 in the morning are a lot more of a concern I have to say.

But then hey, I'm a Nazi, right Machinesworking?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Well, here's your tyranny: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/ ... FQ20121221

NDAA still has to pass the Senate, but the house approved it.

@beat - I think it's more about just how overtly fascist and orwellian the poster is... like they're not even trying to hide it!

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Forge. wrote: @beat - I think it's more about just how overtly fascist and orwellian the poster is... like they're not even trying to hide it!
Admittedly, they should sack the marketing team on that one... someone, somewhere in the design department is having a right old chuckle.

Have any Cheeky Cockney types actually seen this poster in the field? Seems to good/bad to be true...

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:00 pm

beatmunga wrote:
Forge. wrote: @beat - I think it's more about just how overtly fascist and orwellian the poster is... like they're not even trying to hide it!
Admittedly, they should sack the marketing team on that one... someone, somewhere in the design department is having a right old chuckle.

Have any Cheeky Cockney types actually seen this poster in the field? Seems to good/bad to be true...

I'm glad you think it's no big deal.

Call me when you start having to show ze papers when you want to cross from Wembley to Harrow.

:lol:

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:11 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beatmunga wrote:

I'm glad you think it's no big deal.

Call me when you start having to show ze papers when you want to cross from Wembley to Harrow.

To be honest, if we feel like we are being watched, and our dissidence lip-read on the 85a to Tunstall, us UK freedom fighters can just take the cameras out with our gun things what we bought over The Pond. Problem solved, freedom restored!

With GUNS!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:36 am

Vivo

Post by Vivo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:56 am

Forge. wrote:More of that good ol' tyranny:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ck-america
Turn in your guns everyone, we now have drones to protect us!

http://reason.com/24-7/2012/12/26/mexic ... ck-program

Come and get a free flu shot in exchange for your firearm. :evil:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ma-city ... -firearms/

Groceries For Guns: Los Angeles Police Department Collects More Than 1,500 Weapons In Annual Buyback

Police officers filled bins with more than 1,500 rifles and handguns outside the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena and the Van Nuys Masonic Temple :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/2 ... 68353.html
Last edited by Vivo on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.