What is consciousness? Near death Experiences and the soul.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Forge.

Re: What is consciousness? Near death Experiences and the soul.

Post by Forge. » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:50 am

Angstrom wrote: For example "teleported photons", is actually a related to quantum entanglement, where two photons maintain an FTL information exchange through measurement of one implying the state of the other entangled photon. Measuring the polarity of one, implies the opposing polarity of the other, meaning that we know something about a particle "instantly" (FTL). The difficulty in testing this has been sending two entangled particles enough distance, and being able to measure and track both. THIS was recently achieved. Now, is this "teleportation" ? I'd say not. Indigochildrenstarwatcher might say it is proof of potential FTL communication and THEREFORE psi powers. Nope.
Firstly, all entanglements are by nature "encrypted", random gibberish until somebody sends over the initial state data to correlate it. That is : the data arrives FTL but nobody can understand it. So FTL communication by entanglement is still very much pie in the sky.
re: "teleportation"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-04-15/s ... at/2614780

but I'm not really sure what the use of the term "teleporation" means here as they seem to be saying fibre optics or copper wires are needed.. but the researchers used that language...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:16 pm

You miss my point : yes they use the term " teleportation", my point is that it is not "teleportation" as anyone immersed in popular culture would understand it.

The scifi "teleportation " which we are familiar with from such things as star trek, : where a thing is obliterated in one place and that same thing appears in a different place. To the layperson - that is teleportation. Kirk is no longer on the planet, he is on the enterprise.

Now quantum teleportation
Two photons are sent in opposite directions, and because of entanglement they maintain inverse synchrony of polarisation. When one is measured, it implies how the other is polarised, with no latency. Is this really "teleportation"? Two particles are sent out, and both still exist at the end of the experiment. All that is sent is "information" and even that is not actually coherent information until the correlation data is sent by normal fibre optics, or copper wire. Too long to explain here why. Read up on it.

In essence, yes: they call it teleportation, but it is not teleportation as a layperson understands it.
Why on earth the people involved in the naming of this called it that I do not know. It is linguistically accurate, in a sketchy way - but choosing that word, which is already taken culturally, was stupid.

Has this webpage has been teleported to you. was it destroyed off the server? Is it "there" now?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:40 pm

yes, that's why I said I wasn't sure what they meant.. I wasn't trying to make any kind of point, just posting the link because I found it

Clearly I did misunderstand what they meant initially when I read about the original Austrian research. you're right it's a daft word for them to use because it will lead to all kinds of chinese whispers, and that headline was clearly trying to play on that.

You'd think anyone would assume by teleport they would have meant wirelessly transport to a different location.

Nobody understands Quantum mechanics as it is, so things like that are certainly not going to help.

I've been able to follow some of Stuart Hameroff's interviews on his micro-tubules/QuBit theories, but only so far, the real meat of it in the Google talk is for people who are already studying it, it's massively complicated.

Still, all of this has pissed me off enough to enrol in a basic maths unit so I can take some basic physics the following semester and see if I can get a better handle on some of this stuff, because I'm really interested, but you just cant go to deep into it without the background, especially when the top guys in the field openly say they don't really understand it.

Vivo

Post by Vivo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:43 pm

crumhorn wrote: Near death is not the same thing as death; no one as ever reported back from being dead AFAIK.
Sure, yet I believe this is evidence of our soul and afterlife.

I can't dismiss these shared experiences from all these different people as a dream or as drug induced when I've heard these same experiences from people who were not drugged in a hospital. I also can't believe that this white light tunnel experience story is some sort of mass conspiracy to get us to believe in God. But hey, everyone has their own standard of proof.

I think consciousness/our soul is divine and man will never be able to make anything with consciousness. All these biotech human enhancements will be
used to control and not liberate humanity I'm afraid. Sorry if I have such
a pessimistic view but we have so much technology and resources now to help people but they choose to spend most of it on national defense instead.