Gay Forum Members

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

Re: Gay Forum Members

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:01 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
BTW Loops, I'm 100% certain that my lesbian roommate just doesn't give enough of a shit what some sausage party thinks one way or the other.
So getting her to read our nonsense? not gonna happen. If it had hot chicks, cute animals or gore pics then sure! :lol:

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:13 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Comparing my thread to that thread is ridiculous.

omfg.

:roll:

you think so? Obviously i'm not comparing your thread to the one bashing the blood on the dance floor guys, i'm comparing it to the idiot's "hey who's gay?" poll. Personally, I think its ridiculous that you would think that there are no LGBT people on this forum and feel the need to start a thread like this.

I'm not mad at you, and i don't think that you were ill intentioned at all, but i think the thread is stupid, and some of the responses worse.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Okay, kewl.

I honestly wasn't aware of any openly gay members - and discussions about it - so I stand corrected there.

Sorry you don't appreciate the thread. While it will certainly attract some shit posts, I hope in the end it serves some good.

:|

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:38 pm

wow. my first impulse was to skip this thread altogether, but now that i have taken those minutes out of my life i will never get back to read it... you have to deal with a reply from me.

firstly, thank you Machinesworking for not only being the voice of reason here... but also for doing that in a very clear, concise, insightful, fair and well rounded way. kudos brother.

secondly, LSZ i know you didn't mean any harm, and for what it's worth, my gay friends act A LOT (if not exactly) like the way you describe your gay friends.

thirdly, and this is the part that might piss some of you off, but fuck it... there are a lot of ways that a person can define oneself. personally, as much as i love some of my gay friends, i think that defining oneself by what you do with your genitalia is okay (for you) if that is what you view as the most defining aspect of yourself... but at deeper level that is really some shallow shit. if i was to start an oral sex parade or paste oral sex slogans and things of that nature on the bumper of my car there would be naysayers and those that think that it is slightly inappropriate. i would be inclined to agree. so, in summation... i think that it is highly appropriate that those forum members who are gay haven't necessarily walked into this thread waving and planting flags. 'i am gay therefore i am' is not the way of thinking that should belong to a person who is emotionally well... 'i am therefore i am and oh btw i happen to be gay' is a much more grounded way of thinking IMO.

being weak minded has no true bearing on sexual preferences, only on your standards, so a little discretion is in alignment with having some. fucking. class.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:40 pm

I believe it was Sir Samwell who put it most eloquently: http://bit.ly/UKMLQn
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:09 pm

funken wrote:
H20nly wrote: if i was to start an oral sex parade or paste oral sex slogans and things of that nature on the bumper of my car there would be naysayers and those that think that it is slightly inappropriate.
You make it sound like gay marches are frivolous. Gays are a dicriminated-against minority, and as such have had to fight for equal rights every step of the way. They still haven't achieved it.

There’s a massive difference between a gay rights march and a gay pride parade. Even gay people know that.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:25 pm

funken wrote:
beats me wrote: There’s a massive difference between a gay rights march and a gay pride parade. Even gay people know that.
Well I should hope so seeing as they are the one organising them. But there is also a big overlap. And they both have the same end goal.
wikipedia

Pride parade

Pride parades for the LGBT community (also known as pride marches, gay pride parades, LGBT pride parades, pride events and pride festivals) are events celebrating lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) culture. The events also at times serve as demonstrations for legal rights such as same-sex marriage. Most pride events occur annually and many take place around June to commemorate the Stonewall riots, a pivotal moment in the modern LGBT rights movement.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ghts-party

Series: The conversation
Previous | Next | Index
Is Pride today about gay rights or just partying?

As Pride London celebrates its 40th year, is it still a gay rights march, or just a fabulous party? Former attendee Julie Bindel talks with loyal enthusiast Peter Tatchell

" I've been on every single Pride London for the past 40 years. Nowadays there are only a handful of people carrying political banners. I think overall there has been a dumbing down of the LGBT agenda. That first pride march was organised by the Gay Liberation Front, which had an agenda for social transformation and sexual freedom for everyone, including straight people. We had a critique of mainstream society and culture – it wasn't queers who had to change, but society. Homophobia was the problem, not homosexuality."

It's important to maintain the political presence and voice at Pride. I always go with a political message."
What is this post trying to prove?
He said there is a difference in gay rights marches and gay pride parades and you post this.
How is this even relevant to what he said?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 pm

There are plenty of gay people who feel the explicit sexual nature of gay pride parades hurts the gay rights cause.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:51 pm

H20nly wrote:wow. my first impulse was to skip this thread altogether,

I must confess I am a bit hurt that you would skip ANY of my threads.

:| :( :|

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:54 pm

beats me wrote:There’s a massive difference between a gay rights march and a gay pride parade. Even gay people know that.
exactly.

@ nathann - he's just trying to cherry pick, which is why he picked one fucking line out of the middle of my post to act appalled by... while completely disregarding everything else i said...

... and, to a lesser extent, which is why i'm replying to you and beats and not bothering to reply to that weak attempt to find fault. i stand by my earlier sentiment that sex (any type of sex - gay, straight, and anything in between) should not be the centralized part of your life which everything else revolves around. secondary, sure. primary... nope.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:58 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
H20nly wrote:wow. my first impulse was to skip this thread altogether,

I must confess I am a bit hurt that you would skip ANY of my threads.

:| :( :|
sorry brother, but it's OT as hell and no matter what you type someone will come along to cherry pick (see first post this page) what you say apart and start an argument and/or drag you down a path off road from your original intent. but why am i telling you this? it's your thread. welcome back to main street.

on that note: hats off to leisuremuffin and nathannn. that was a fine example of reaching an accord. good on you both for growing, living and letting live.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:18 pm

H2Only, its not just about sex. LGBT people are just like anybody else, but they're fighting for the right to be able to love who they love without persecution. Sex is an aspect of love, but it is not the most important part of every love, and certainly never the part of love that couples spend the most time living in. When a straight couple go out to dinner or have a walk around town holding hands they might take it for granted that they can do that without being hassled. Gay pride isn't about sex only, so its a little troubling for me to see you reduce the issue to being similar to having an "oral sex" bumper sticker.

please understand, i'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, just letting you know how i feel.

and also, i do think that gay pride parades are gay rights marches too. yes, they are wild parties and have explicitly sexual themes, but guess what, straight people get to be open about expressing their sexuality at every party everywhere. LGBT folks are fighting for that right and to do so openly in public is valid political demonstration in my opinion.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 pm

look... my point was that i don't drive around sharing my sexuality with the world. period.

when it's about love... that is worth fighting for.

when it's about being a slut, that happens to be LGBT... then it's nothing. no different than a fetish parade. let's face it... many of the people at those parades want to be happy with their partner. the rest are just filler.

when i go to a party i do not just start talking about how straight i am. i just don't. i save the sex for where the sex belongs... in the moment. anything else is just being a open perv. and that comment is directed just as much at the jock football player who is bragging about all the pussy he gets as it is at the overly flaming gay guy who riles the jock up.

i was at a gay couples house watching Tivo'd episodes of True Blood on New Year's Eve. i'm not afraid of them even though i get the occasional ass grab on arrival and almost always a kiss on the cheek during the big hugs. i also get told "if you ever change teams..." blah blah. i'm okay with that. it's a compliment. it's not disrespectful. it's about preferences and mine are being respected just as theirs are. i love those guys. but i don't see them pounding their chests and flailing about to be heard and seen about their gayness. they're a couple and that's enough. no flags, stickers or other proclamations necessary.

you were in Oakland for a while. at that point i was just through the tunnel on HWY 24 from you... this area is very open as it pertains to sexuality. you know this. being proud of yourself for who you are doesn't mean you have to put all your business out on the street. there are many people who march in those parades that are simply homosexual and that have a right to be so. attention whores can get annoying at any level. TBH i've seen some gay men get a little overly cocky around here. they act feminine but get up in peoples face with some "oh no you don't" shit. the fucked up part is that if some dude knocks them the fuck out for doing that... the implication immediately is that the one who layed him out is a homophobe :roll:

one more time:

when it's about love... that is worth fighting for.

the rest is noise.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:39 am

leisuremuffin wrote:H2Only, its not just about sex. LGBT people are just like anybody else, but they're fighting for the right to be able to love who they love without persecution. Sex is an aspect of love, but it is not the most important part of every love, and certainly never the part of love that couples spend the most time living in. When a straight couple go out to dinner or have a walk around town holding hands they might take it for granted that they can do that without being hassled. Gay pride isn't about sex only, so its a little troubling for me to see you reduce the issue to being similar to having an "oral sex" bumper sticker.

please understand, i'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, just letting you know how i feel.

and also, i do think that gay pride parades are gay rights marches too. yes, they are wild parties and have explicitly sexual themes, but guess what, straight people get to be open about expressing their sexuality at every party everywhere. LGBT folks are fighting for that right and to do so openly in public is valid political demonstration in my opinion.

.lm.
The LGBT community want straight people to acknowledge that there love is just as deep, meaningful, important and valid is straight couples. Gay pride parades make it look like it's about one big fuckfest and it's an easy target for closed minded people who don't want to accept that community. "See, that's what they are all about!" It would be like if the crips or bloods decided to have an annual gang bangers parade and we're supposed to connect that to black equality. Maybe that message would be shimmied in there somehow but the vast majority of people are going to miss it.

And no, straight people don't have sex oriented parades where they walk around partially or completely naked. That might be part of the problem. Straight people are probably jealous of the hyper sexual lifestyle that is implied by the gay pride parade. If given the option between holding hands in public or an extremely active sex life they'd probably sign up for the fuckfest,

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:53 am

beats me wrote:There are plenty of gay people who feel the explicit sexual nature of gay pride parades hurts the gay rights cause.
It does. It's a kin to anyone acting like classless idiots at an event. It definitely overshadows any message that was supposed be conveyed.