Making video's vs making music

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Pitch Black

Re: Making video's vs making music

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:01 am

nathannn wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:Live is a perfectly good cuts-only editor...

...with the handy addition that you can warp video to tempo, and edit on the musical grid.

!!!
I just dont see how it would work if you need to add text and pictures.
Like I said, its a perfectly good cuts-only editor. :wink: :D

right tools for the job at hand of course! I just think that ramping/warping + cutting to the variable/musical grid with such facility is something you can't do in many (any?) other editing softwares?

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:39 am

nathannn wrote:Here is the video I made

Its not the best in terms of quality because like I mentioned I found the whole process to be difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RtWGa45pno
Awesome. :)
What you can do is prepare all the text images in photoshop and export/save them as seperate pictures.
In Premiere or whatever timeline video editing program you use, you can make slices on the video track. If you zoom in on the timeline you can get the slices exactly where you want the text. Make sure to turn on "snap to grid". You can now drop these text pictures (or video clips) one by one to a new layer/track and they will snap exactly to these slices. You can do it in 20 minutes.

Regarding similare to Live, ive been demoing Resolume for about a year now. Its very close to Session view, and you can even midi learn clips and fx the same way. You can even midi learn from live, so you can have clips in live trigering clips in resolume!

...I gotta run to work here, but Ill pop back later. Good luck!

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:36 pm

I don't always give praise, but when I do it's to nathannn and his stick.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:19 pm

The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:19 am

slatepipe wrote:i use an old version of sony vegas to make little videos and things for the tunes i do. adding text is a cinch, just like dropping film clips into the timeline. then you just type what you want and position it wherever

here's me using some text to the extreme : http://vimeo.com/33250320
Sony Vegas is definitely most suited for the job and the easiest for musicians.
Perfect example of what is wrong with Premiere and Nathanns video-poor timing. I suppose none of the 2 "editors" has bad timing, it is the video software- Premiere, even though it is getting better with each version is, was and probably the worst choice, particularly for a musician. Nathann would have to spend another week or more to tighten up the timing because the bloody Premiere is so anti anything real time. Contrary, Sony Vegas is the fastest video editor, for the speed even better than Avid.
If Coldcut was to use Premiere for this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-wl7Xk5FoY they possibly be editing it till today.
I have videos that I should have edited & published since few months but the idea of opening Premiere is so repulsive I subconsciously push the task away. I dont feel like learning another software (FCB) but VM Fusion is OK for minor WIndows jobs not for video editing. So I am stuck with Premiere unless learn how to setup bootcamp.
Sony Vegas is the cheapest/ expensive - 700$ software. Get any better Sony camera and it is included. So only fool would buy the software only instead of buying it with "included" camera. Some shops take the software out and sell on Ebay, plenty of normal users selling too. Older version for 20-50$ newest 60-100$.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:32 am

rikhyray wrote: If Coldcut was to use Premiere for this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-wl7Xk5FoY they possibly be editing it till today.
Hi Rikhy, I hate to be contrary know-it-all, but Timber was made in Premiere... way back then! 8O

"In the 90s we developed a software called VJamm which was a sort of audio-visual piano and so you could trigger samples from percussion pads, audio-visual samples. If you know our piece Timber you probably know what I mean. Short, percussive audio-visual samples like a guy hitting a tree or a chainsaw, sequenced together.

Now we wanted to be able to do that live, rather than put it together in Adobe Premiere, which is how Timber was made. So we wanted a real-time instrument and VJamm was that instrument and then at some point it occurred to me that while it was OK to be able to play these samples, by analogy with DJing, what I needed was a mixer that could handle audio and visual streams."

http://www.kitmonsters.com/bands/m/matt ... and-mixing

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:00 am

rikhyray wrote:
slatepipe wrote:i use an old version of sony vegas to make little videos and things for the tunes i do. adding text is a cinch, just like dropping film clips into the timeline. then you just type what you want and position it wherever

here's me using some text to the extreme : http://vimeo.com/33250320
Sony Vegas is definitely most suited for the job and the easiest for musicians.
Perfect example of what is wrong with Premiere and Nathanns video-poor timing. I suppose none of the 2 "editors" has bad timing, it is the video software- Premiere, even though it is getting better with each version is, was and probably the worst choice, particularly for a musician. Nathann would have to spend another week or more to tighten up the timing because the bloody Premiere is so anti anything real time. Contrary, Sony Vegas is the fastest video editor, for the speed even better than Avid.
If Coldcut was to use Premiere for this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-wl7Xk5FoY they possibly be editing it till today.
I have videos that I should have edited & published since few months but the idea of opening Premiere is so repulsive I subconsciously push the task away. I dont feel like learning another software (FCB) but VM Fusion is OK for minor WIndows jobs not for video editing. So I am stuck with Premiere unless learn how to setup bootcamp.
Sony Vegas is the cheapest/ expensive - 700$ software. Get any better Sony camera and it is included. So only fool would buy the software only instead of buying it with "included" camera. Some shops take the software out and sell on Ebay, plenty of normal users selling too. Older version for 20-50$ newest 60-100$.
Like I said earlier, It took me 10 hours to make this. I probably wont use premier ever again and may not do something with text unless I find something easier.
This was the biggest pain in the ass experience I have ever had using any computer software. Premiere was not intuitive at all. I think the first time I used live I was making music within a few minutes and had a basic resemblance of a song within a couple hours.

I downloaded all the suggestions for video editors but haven't had the time nor an idea for a project since I made this.

It really doesn't bother me too much that the timing is off in the video since its a parody and its not my song but, If I was to make something to be taken seriously I would go with different software.

When it comes to adobe I dont find any of their software to be intuitive. My experience with adobe makes me feel like their software is out of date and instead of refining the interface and user experience, they just add more menu's and actions, much like pro tools and cubase.
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 am

Here's a tutorial for text in Vegas. Honestly this doesn't seem as intuitive as it should be either. Watch it with english subtitles on (its kinda funny)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCuyEelz744

It really seems like there's a market for something like Live in the video editing world, I think Ableton. should jump on this.
My view of how text over video should work is, would have one text clip (like an audio clip) you would type whatever you want and then you would just warp the text to the time just like how you warp audio transients.

no computers or synths

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:56 am

windows live movie maker for win 7 - I thought this was fine - a bit tedious but not too bad

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:40 pm

nathannn wrote: I probably wont use premier ever again
That is what I say (scream, curse and what not) every single time I use Premiere. I know it was parody and the timing is not the most important yet, it is so obvious for someone who knows how painful is to get this kind of job with that wretched software.
Actually I studied Premiere years back and used it because of integration with After Effects, as most of people I know ( it is included in the Adobe suite so they dont need to pay any extra). Knowing the software well helps obviously but does not make it any more pleasurable.
Try to get Vegas, I guess you will easily grasp it.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:57 pm

I just saw a couple of Vegas tutorial videos. Looks very nice indeed.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:03 pm

nathannn wrote: My view of how text over video should work is, would have one text clip (like an audio clip) you would type whatever you want and then you would just warp the text to the time just like how you warp audio transients.
And that is how it works in any video editor, maybe you should invest some time in Total Training or Lynda.com. In the end it might cost you less time than guess&try on your own.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:26 pm

added lyrics to this today using vegas pro (youtube and facebook keep deleting my blatently copyright infringing video's :x )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTB9NkozUvM

so far i find vegas to be the easiest to work with.

no computers or synths

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:22 pm

I guess you found out yourself but anyway....., for that kind of work: open text files with your lyrics or whatever, create title track and few or few dozens of clips (just like in Live) then copy paste your lyrics to those, then you can easily align them with the visuals to you liking, Main advantage of Vegas is that you can see/play everything immediately, adjust , put FX etc, etc. Better than Live, it works on both track and clip level. Another huge time saver- auto fades, in Premiere and other apps you have to drag the FX/"transition" every time, also adjusting those is way more intuitive. So when you get to cutting and adjusting "tracks" they will look fine by default. This way, with some practice, you could do something like your clip in half an hour. Of course to make it perfect- FX, transitions, details, you can spend a week as well.
For that kind of thing Vegas is perfect, for proper (and fancy) titles there is nothing like After Effects, that is what most people use, main reason why I used to use AF/Premiere (but exporting to Vegas later).
Regarding Youtube you should check out the options, I regularly get mails from them about 3rd party material used, mostly it concerns my distributor taking care of dealing with Google/Youtube (which is to much time consuming so I rather give a cut), even if few times I used someone else audio, Google just informs- never took anything off. All that they are interested is money/monetizing/adds. If you used 3rd party material, the original owner will get the money, not you, which is fair. You can share, promote your skills, the authors get they share and if you make Youtube hit, someone can harvest some good money. Once you reach 250 000 hits , you should go for 100% your own content, if you want profits.
I know people who live, and live very well just from producing, putting few stupid (mainly aimed at teenagers) clips per week.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:15 am

I guess you found out yourself but anyway....., for that kind of work: open text files with your lyrics or whatever, create title track and few or few dozens of clips (just like in Live) then copy paste your lyrics to those, then you can easily align them with the visuals to you liking, Main advantage of Vegas is that you can see/play everything immediately, adjust , put FX etc, etc. Better than Live, it works on both track and clip level. Another huge time saver- auto fades, in Premiere and other apps you have to drag the FX/"transition" every time, also adjusting those is way more intuitive. So when you get to cutting and adjusting "tracks" they will look fine by default. This way, with some practice, you could do something like your clip in half an hour. Of course to make it perfect- FX, transitions, details, you can spend a week as well.
For that kind of thing Vegas is perfect, for proper (and fancy) titles there is nothing like After Effects, that is what most people use, main reason why I used to use AF/Premiere (but exporting to Vegas later).
Thanks for the info you've been really helpful with this
Regarding Youtube you should check out the options, I regularly get mails from them about 3rd party material used, mostly it concerns my distributor taking care of dealing with Google/Youtube (which is to much time consuming so I rather give a cut), even if few times I used someone else audio, Google just informs- never took anything off. All that they are interested is money/monetizing/adds. If you used 3rd party material, the original owner will get the money, not you, which is fair. You can share, promote your skills, the authors get they share and if you make Youtube hit, someone can harvest some good money. Once you reach 250 000 hits , you should go for 100% your own content, if you want profits.
I know people who live, and live very well just from producing, putting few stupid (mainly aimed at teenagers) clips per week.
With the last video YouTube was giving me problems because its owned by Coachella I had to claim that what I uploaded is a parody of the lyrics and performance in order to have the link be view able. Right now my claim hasn't been reviewed and I suspect that once it is the video will be pulled, which is fine since I only made it to test Sony Vegas.
If the video's do get enough views I do plan on transitioning the channel to 100 percent original content. I plan on getting a Cannon t3i soon to make halfway decent video's for a thing I have been working on in my spare time. If the video's dont get enough view's I plan on making a new channel for the project... I may make a completely new channel I don't know, I'm not there yet. Right now I'm still just messing around with video and trying to learn the software part.

Btw, I didnt know Indian house music existed until checking your links :o

no computers or synths