Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:28 pm

^ just know this...

once you read the book, you can never unread the book.

ever.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 pm

H20nly wrote:once you read the book, you can never unread the book.

ever.
ever!

cmcpress

Post by cmcpress » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:48 pm

stop smoking! go on! stop!

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:23 pm

i gave up smoking 3 years ago jan 13th, haven't missed them craved them or anything, the time was just right.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:10 pm

funken wrote: I gave up a daily weed habit 10 years ago, cigs 3 years ago, and alcohol a week ago.

So, in your seven whole days of sobriety you've decided that you need to now teach everyone how to remain sober by debating on the internet about the method you used? Brilliant.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 am

and on the seventh day he rested...
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:34 am

funken wrote: I gave up a daily weed habit 10 years ago, cigs 3 years ago, and alcohol a week ago.

So, in your seven whole days of sobriety you've decided that you need to now teach everyone how to remain sober by debating on the internet about the method you used? Brilliant.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 am

My stepdad went to hypnotherapy to quit smoking. The only thing that changed was he got premium gas for a week instead of unleaded.
Just because it works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Tell me, is heroin withdrawal all in the mind?
ImageImage

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:10 am

I have been a Registered Nurse for over 30 years, working in emergency medicine for the last 12 years and neurological/neurosurgical areas for 10 years prior to that. I am simply stating this to give some background to my opinions based on my professional experience. There are no doubt other members of the forum who have medical or medical science backgrounds or other significant qualification or experience who could also comment with more authority/experience.
funken wrote:Heroin, cannabis, alcohol, smoking, cocaine. They are all drugs. There is no big difference between them really. They all act on the same brain receptors and reward pathways in fact.
...no, they act on different receptors to the best of my knowledge.
funken wrote:Actually they are all easy to give up. The addiction is 99% in the mind, and is cause by beliefs that are false.
...they are easy to give up for some - to say they are easy to give up for every addict is ignoring the multifactorial nature of addiction and different circumstances facing each individual who is addicted.
funken wrote:note - it is said that stopping alcohol suddenly can be dangerous to a small percentage of alcoholics. I will try to find out more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001771/
funken wrote:The Royal College of Psychiatrists do recommend Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol book.
I don't know anything about that...

What I do know is there are physiological dependencies from being addicted to various substances as well as psychological dependencies, depending on the substance, the amount used and length of time of use and the individual.

It is misinformation to suggest that there is not.

Apologies if I have missed any relevant points in my skimming of the topic, as it's hard to get engaged in reading relevant bits when there's so much interpersonal schoolyard behaviour going on as well...

I am by no means an expert in drug addiction but in my vocational role have witnessed many different levels of addiction, the effects that addiction have had on individuals, their families, friends and society.
I have also been actively involved in management of the physiological and psychological effects of addiction and withdrawal. More often than I would like...
:(

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:03 am

andydes wrote:Holy Shit, Funken.

You get a sponsorship deal or something?

If not and this thread is the product of a healthy narcotic free mind, I want no part of it, thanks.
:lol: :lol:

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:06 am

cmcpress wrote:Image

stop smoking! go on! stop!
:lol: I was waiting for someone to do that.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:09 am

H20nly wrote:
funken wrote:
nathannn wrote: If there was an ignore list you would be on it.
Then why post on my thread?
because he can't piss on your head.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:10 am

It is always the person with no real time that has this obsession with "teaching" others how to stay sober.
Every, single, time. I've witnessed first hand for years and years.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:32 am

Machinesworking wrote: Funken, it's obvious that you haven't been sober that long.
+1 - you can easily do 7 days if even if you aren't totally committed yet - the demons haven't started gnashing their teeth by then... sobriety isn't about stopping, it's about staying stopped. That means not starting again when things get stressful, or when you haven't had a drink for a few days and start fooling yourself that it won't hurt to have just one or two.

Someone with the genetic makeup will take the same drug, (alcohol is a great example) and not crave it in the way that someone else with the same psychological makeup will. There is a distinct reason physically why there are different kinds of problem drinkers, because they physically react to the drug in different ways. Someone can have all the genetic markers for addiction and not be an addict, because they don't have the psychological problems that make getting involved in addiction attractive.
this is absolutely right and crucial for people to understand. But one thing I will say, regardless of your make up, replacing it with something else makes success magnitudes more likely.

All methods can be successful. ..

The real question is always how many people attempted to use the method espoused and gave up?
Yep. I've been to a few AA meetings over the years and it just never gelled with me. I'm just not a person who enjoys sitting in a group talking about what a fuckup I am. And then you get these older guys who've been sober for 30 years and still use it as some kind of crutch to excuse shitty behaviour... I've actually heard these people describe how they were a dick to their wife or something and say it's because they are an alcoholic, depsite not having drunk in 30 years.. I just found that weird... yeah I get the thing about soul searching and acknowledging the things that would normally make you drink and finding different ways to deal with it, but that just didn't grab me..
Likewise, I've tried other things.

Been to loads of psychologists and have been frequently amazed at how useless they have been. Definitely not slamming psychologists in general, again I think this is an example of where different things work for different people.
That question always has about the same answer, so if it's reworded to included little things like "Did you prescribe to the methods we outlined?" then the "study" can throw out people who didn't "complete" the program. I can guarantee you that not a single program would have an over 10% success rate if they included anyone who spent a day signing up/reading/joining the method.

The magic bullet is you, no one else, nothing you read and nothing you subscribe to can stop you from doing what you want to do.
well this makes a nice change after that other thread - a post where I have agreed with every word you've said! ;-)

But this is absolutely true. For all the things I tried before, I was reluctant. I didn't really want to quit, I just felt like I should.

I can actually remember my last night and I am sure it will be one of those defining moments I refer back to throughout my life. I drank a whole bottle of scotch and a 6 pack of cider and started getting very maudlin.... really actually suicidal...

But the next day something in me just said "enough". and that was it. I knew with no doubt that I had to make a choice - if I want to live I need to stop this shit. So I stopped. And I haven't even thought about it since. It was ALL down to that choice.

But it has made a huge difference filling my time up so that my normal drinking time is taken up with other things.

But I have to take exception at the overly simplistic title and point of this thread. I spent YEARS battling this shit, and there's no fucking way you can say it's easy. It's really fucking hard.

You have to find your rock bottom, and that's what happened to me. You have to find that point where you can't get any lower and you have no choice but to choose the other way.
Last edited by Forge. on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:01 am

Funken! You're freakin me friggin' out: 5(edit: 12) consecutive posts without a response. I defended you in private, strictly on principal, and here you are gabbing like a lunatic. Please, Funken, cogency, please!
Last edited by scott nathaniel on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.