Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:18 pm

scott nathaniel wrote:
H20nly wrote:
funken wrote:It takes 4 hours
so you could take your first big dose of heroin and be cured of the addiction before it wears off. 8)
Would one realistically become addicted after their first big dose of heroin? You can quip better than this, come on! This is serious shit!
:lol:

depends who you ask doesn't it?

it didn't take me long in high school to figure out i'd been lied to about weed... so while i was waiting in the counselor's office about (good) test scores one day... i found these pamphlets that told my 16 year old little mind all about LSD, peyote, mushrooms, and PCP... it was called 'Hallucinogens' and based on the prior lies about how crazy reefer would make me... it sounded great, like a check list of fun shit. i made it my mission to find out about this genre.

it helped that mushrooms and peyote grow natively where i grew up. 8)

but for me, the real question is... could one really have a super power that never fades away after reading a four hour long book?

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:28 pm

H2Only, I got a similar start,
felt lied to about weed.
Went to drivers ed, and asked what the difference was between LSD and Acid.
It was on.

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:52 pm

I pulled all of those reviews from the same page of reviews.
minimal effort
the Easy Way

stringtapper
Posts: 6275
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:02 am

The Easy Way to Stop Smoking
The Easy Way to Stop Drinking
The Only Way to Stop Smoking Permanently
Allen Carr's Easy Way for Women to Stop Smoking
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol
Allen Carr's Easyweigh to Lose Weight
The Easy Way to Enjoy Flying
The Easy Way to Stop Worrying
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Be Successful
The Little Book of Quitting
The Illustrated Easy Way to Stop Smoking
Scandal
Burning Ambition
Allen Carr's How to be a Happy Non-smoker
So what happened, he didn't get it quite right with that first book?

Or the first book was only for people who want to quit temporarily?

Image
Unsound Designer

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:05 am

:oops:
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:13 am

^ of course it didn't work. that's not The Easy Way.

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:31 am

So I read this thread that will totally cure you from this one.

Forge.
Posts: 5792
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by Forge. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:15 am

JuanSOLO wrote:So I read this thread that will totally cure you from this one.
If it's not easy I don't want to know.

Forge.
Posts: 5792
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by Forge. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:20 am

shadx312 wrote: Will anyone else concur that I've attempted to become the shittest poster in the forum?
.
that's a hell of an achievement to aim for.

How do we judge it? Is it the number of posts that make no sense, or the number that have no point to them, or do we do it according to how much offence caused?

In fact on this forum I would think the overall standard would work the other way round and to be the shittest you need to be shit at being shit.

What are the rules?

Maybe it's like those card games where if you lose so many points that you can't possibly win then your only hope is to get all the bad cards and then you kind of win by being the shittest. Is it like that?

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:25 am

^ i'm gonna roll with... yes.

i seriously doubt that bickering with funken gets you any real points. i mean, let's face it... you don't agree with him on some aspect and BLAM you're now in a heated partial quote posting contest. anyone can not agree with him quite easily. i can post links to illustrate this... there is plenty of data to support this. i'm sure we could even come up with a grid because that will validate anything, right?

so i think shittiest poster is more complex than the funkenometer is actually capable of measuring.

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:40 am

I didn't realize we were going for points...oops

I thought it was for Chicken McNuggets. Explains why I haven't gotten any in the mail yet. I'll stop checking.
ImageImage

Forge.
Posts: 5792
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by Forge. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:50 am

No I'm serious. We should work out the rules. I think it would help everyone.

Maybe a "+1" to one of your posts is worth 5 points, a "LOL" worth ten, but maybe less for the emoticon - I dunno is an emoticon "lol" worth more or less than typing all three letters? I guess "LOL" can be used sarcastically, while no-one would accuse the little laughing dude of being sarcastic. Maybe if it's deemed sarcastic it's -10.

A "this" is probably worth 15 or 20 as it's a more emphatic "+1" and there are more letters.

The effort of dealing with quotes should probably score points. That's a pain in the arse editing with those, so maybe that's 10 points per quote? Meaning one of these long heated posts full of them could be worth 100 points.

You should definitely get docked for directed swearwords. Not just the swearwords that are added for emphasis or because it sounds slightly funnier etc, but swears that are targeted at someone, like "moron" or "dickhead". You should lose points for that.

But again, what is the aim? The most points would imply the best poster, so aiming for the shittest probably means aiming for a negative score and deliberately filling the forum with shit.

So I would be in favour of the highest points, either positive or negative depending on how we work it out, should go to sheer stupid shit that is just stupid.

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:27 am

Should edits be counted? It could be counted as a negative for not completely forming your post ahead of time, but we all forget things sometimes, and I've been typing more on a device than computer keyboard, so a lot of times that backspace or return gets hit accidentally. For the most part I think it should be counted as a negative. So I'd get a lot of negatives for that. However, I can recall getting a decent number of "THIS"'s for a long time, and *barely* call people names.
So, really, I think I'm far from being the shittest poster! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

Oh, another thing. I will sternly a defend the use of pics in an internet forum, especially animated gifs, which are the finest artform of the 21st century. So there should be +'s and -'s accounting for style. They spice things up and can portray tone far better than lengthy reactions or emoticons a lot of the time. But it still has to come down to taste/style.

I don't think there's should be a different scale between pics and gifs, though. I say we have a -5 to +5 scale, from "wtf?" to "THIS"
However, a "wtf" can be redeemed. If there's a reference people don't understand, and that reference is explained, even though they still don't get the same effect, it can still change the scale.

Image
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Machinesworking
Posts: 11118
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:56 am

funken wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: That's why I asked you directly how much time you had, it's blatantly obvious that you have none.
10 years off weed, 3 years 4 months without a fag. Piece of piss. Have you read the thread?
First off the name calling is a direct violation of the rules of this board.
Secondly and far more importantly you're less than two weeks sober, no amount of omission is going to change the fact that your fanaticism, emotional outbursts and need for drama are all tell tale signs of early recovery.
Smoking and weed? great, but alcohol is very obviously the more brutal habit.

Machinesworking wrote: You're going to take this badly I assume, but hopefully if you're lucky and have the willpower and strength of conviction that you say your method brings you will look back on this thread ten years from now and be deeply embarrassed by how naive you were.
For fuck's sake, the whole point of the Easyway is that NO WILLPOWER IS REQUIRED. I have said it 100 times.
I ignore it because it's a selling point, buzzword, it's advertising. Tell me, what did the 50% who went through the program lack? courage? stamina?
It's ridiculous to think that any change even and easy one doesn't take some willpower.

quote="Machinesworking"]
The main reason why you're failing so miserably to convince anyone of the greatness of your method is pretty simple really.
I am failing because people are interested in scoring points rather than serious debate. Do you realise that dozens of major corporations employ Easyway to get their staff off cigarettes? It works. Fact. End of.
Every method works, end of.
You're failing because you're a noob at sobriety and coming across like a spambot krishna devotee.

Slightlydelic
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by Slightlydelic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:37 am

i downloaded the allen carr loose weight now ibook and found it very inspiring.

it seems to work on the same no will power required basis as the other books and its such a logical approach it just doesn't suprise me that the allen carr method is so highly regarded. and sucessfull.

Post Reply