Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Forge.
Posts: 5792
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by Forge. » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:07 pm

I stopped drinking the day before NYE and have never felt better. I feel like far less of an emotional retard.

Alcohol is a nice and quick way to lower your IQ by about 30 points in one sitting. I guess that's the attraction. Escape all the ugliness intelligence exposes you to.

Actually that's not really true, life's much better now without it really.

now I'm a reformed alcoholic who will go on about it and irritate the shit out of everyone.

cmcpress
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:32 pm

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by cmcpress » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 pm

funken wrote:So, what you are saying is that when Allen Carr's method is proved correct,
By whom using what criteria?
funken wrote:it means that the cured addict was in fact not really an addict, despite being addicted for decades, it that a fair summary? :wink:
Again, I'm saying that

1. Addictions come in many forms and levels

2. it is possible to have a psychological addiction, for which, psychological therapies (which Allen Carr's book is)may work and there are physical dependencies for which they may or may not prove effective.

3. I'm skeptical that a purely psychological therapy such as Allen Carr's would be effective in the case of extreme physical addictions.

4. Claims made by Allen Carr in relation to the efficacy of his course may not be reliable.

nathannn
Posts: 3317
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:38 am
Location: U.S.

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by nathannn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:16 pm

LOL at the title of this thread, this is by far the most ill informed, and the most obvious troll you have posted.
I have never done serious drugs and dont plan on it but I know from being on paxil when I was a kid that most drugs have serious debilitating withdrawal symptoms.
Dont even bother to quote me because I said what I wanted to say and feel there's no discussion to be had here. You really dont know what your talking about.

Also please piss off and take this shit back to your "Serious forum" I have tried to be nice to you but you are a TROLL
If there was an ignore list you would be on it.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by knotkranky » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:29 pm

The only way to get more enjoyment out of something is to be addicted to it.

Fact is, It's just not as good without the jones.

Certainly, many trolls would jones hard from not posting for a day.

:P

'fix' in 3,2,1

d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by d.reamonn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:36 pm

funken wrote:
nathannn wrote:LOL at the title of this thread, this is by far the most ill informed, and the most obvious troll you have posted.
I have never done serious drugs and dont plan on it but I know from being on paxil when I was a kid that most drugs have serious debilitating withdrawal symptoms.
Dont even bother to quote me because I said what I wanted to say and feel there's no discussion to be had here. You really dont know what your talking about.

Also please piss off and take this shit back to your "Serious forum" I have tried to be nice to you but you are a TROLL
If there was an ignore list you would be on it.
Clearly you have no clue what troll means, let alone anything about addiction. Also you have not bothered to read the thread.

You clearly want people to believe it is not easy to give up, so if they believe you they won't give up. If they believe me they might give up. Who is helping the addicts, and who is harming them?

Your mission clearly is to make it hard for people to give up, so it is you who is trolling and should piss off.

I am recommending the ideas of Allen Carr and he is recommended by the Royal College of Psychiatry. Who recommends you?
I read the thread. There were no arguments presented.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

docprosper
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by docprosper » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:18 pm

funken wrote:All smokers are addicts
...please expand?!?

:|
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

cmcpress
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:32 pm

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by cmcpress » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:24 pm

funken wrote:Michael McIntyre
Michael Ball
Your argument is invalid.

Image

d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by d.reamonn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:31 pm

funken wrote:
docprosper wrote:
funken wrote:All smokers are addicts
...please expand?!?

:|
In a Gallup poll in the USA, 88% said they wished they'd never started. Only 10% said they would do it again. 78% wanted to give up. 68% of smokers say they are addicted to cigarettes.

But the so-called casual smokers, what about them? They can't be addicted can they? Well, if they are not addicted, why else would they smoke? They are addicted on some level. I remember going to my brother's when I smoked, and when I lit up he and his mate kinda decided to smoke, just to be sociable. I was on rollies so they had to buy some. They were out the house and off to the shops before you could blink. I've never seen someone move so fast. Addicts.
There's a consensus!!!!!
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:56 pm

funken wrote:
nathannn wrote: If there was an ignore list you would be on it.
Then why post on my thread?
because he can't piss on your head.

docprosper
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by docprosper » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:57 pm

funken wrote:
docprosper wrote:
funken wrote:All smokers are addicts
...please expand?!?

:|
In a Gallup poll in the USA, 88% said they wished they'd never started. Only 10% said they would do it again. 78% wanted to give up. 68% of smokers say they are addicted to cigarettes.

But the so-called casual smokers, what about them? They can't be addicted can they? Well, if they are not addicted, why else would they smoke? They are addicted on some level. I remember going to my brother's when I smoked, and when I lit up he and his mate kinda decided to smoke, just to be sociable. I was on rollies so they had to buy some. They were out the house and off to the shops before you could blink. I've never seen someone move so fast. Addicts.
...so one can't do anything w/out being addicted to it? You logic seems flawed; gotta be careful with that "all" word.
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by knotkranky » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Addiction is what cigarettes are for! They don't taste good unless you are addicted. mkay

So yes, all smokers are addicted. Casual smokers just go longer between 'needing it'

Smoking and not being addicted are even more stupid than simply being a smoker.

andydes
Posts: 2917
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: Bremen

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by andydes » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:37 pm

Holy Shit, Funken.

You get a sponsorship deal or something?

If not and this thread is the product of a healthy narcotic free mind, I want no part of it, thanks.

docprosper
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by docprosper » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:23 pm

gotta work on your debate skills before throwing grandious statements like "all smokers are addicts" around, broham. I don't buy it and you didn't prove it. Neither did knotkranky, saying that it's stupid to do if not addicted is neither here nor there.
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

docprosper
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by docprosper » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:29 pm

just wanted clarification on the original statement, nothing worth getting emotionally invested in. Let's both agree to disagree and have a good weekend, shall we?
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

Machinesworking
Posts: 11140
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Giving up drugs - it's easy!

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Having given up drugs and alcohol 15 years ago I can say without any doubt that there is no magic bullet.
Recidivism is the same for all treatments. Every new method that's ever been introduced has claimed fabulous results, and thrown out a graph to prove it etc. this isn't anything surprising.

Funken, it's obvious that you haven't been sober that long. That's not said to be rude or as a personal attack, it's an observation based on your online conversation that sounds a lot to an outsider like indoctrination in to a method/ideology that helped you. You started this thread in the hopes of selling your method.

The simple truths if you aren't biased against hearing it:

There is a physical and psychological reason behind addiction, they aren't separate. Someone with the genetic makeup will take the same drug, (alcohol is a great example) and not crave it in the way that someone else with the same psychological makeup will. There is a distinct reason physically why there are different kinds of problem drinkers, because they physically react to the drug in different ways. Someone can have all the genetic markers for addiction and not be an addict, because they don't have the psychological problems that make getting involved in addiction attractive. Someone can have no reaction to alcohol hereditarily wise, and train themselves into addiction because of their psychological issues. Most people fall somewhere between. It's different for other drugs, but not by much, some people don't like cocaine because it physically doesn't affect them the same way it does others etc.

All methods can be successful. <-- This is where I'm assuming you're going to go off about the method that you used, and that's fine to a degree, but it's simply a matter of your own desire to have your "team" win. There's no race here, and I'm happy that you recovered, but it's one of those innately human qualities to subscribe to your team the real moxie to succeed. Statistics are an interesting thing here, because you really can't trust the 'method' to do it's own study. If I say "80% who follow my program recover!" it sounds pretty convincing right? but it's not, it's a cover up. The real question is always how many people attempted to use the method espoused and gave up? That question always has about the same answer, so if it's reworded to included little things like "Did you prescribe to the methods we outlined?" then the "study" can throw out people who didn't "complete" the program. I can guarantee you that not a single program would have an over 10% success rate if they included anyone who spent a day signing up/reading/joining the method.

The magic bullet is you, no one else, nothing you read and nothing you subscribe to can stop you from doing what you want to do.

Every addict I think inherently knows previous to entering a program whether they will find a way to go back to the drug of choice. What I mean by that is a lot of people have problems with recovery because they actually don't want to recover. Conversely if someone really wants to quit they will do whatever method they know will be most successful for them.


You stated in the other thread that weed was just as bad as heroin, so with that in mind I'm letting you know that this isn't really something I'm willing to break down into little quotes and debate you on. I don't have the time or patience for it. Suffice to say that weed is not a death drug, people don't start smoking pot because they have a suicidal aspect to the their nature, and the statistics on heroin related deaths VS the statistics on cancer caused by smoking weed don't add up at all to your statement making a bit of sense. You can't explain away the lack of depth in that statement.

Post Reply