All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Question regarding travel to London
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:28 pm 

Another quick question -- We arrive in London Heathrow on Monday around noon, and want to take a flight to Dublin, spend two nights in Ireland, and then take the ferry and train back on Wednesday to begin my training on Thursday. (We want to do the ferry/train deal at least once, because... um.. that's what people do in Europe isn't it? Lol )

Can someone please provide resources to make this work out? There are a lot of websites out there, but not knowing anything of the area, I have no idea if these are reputable, or spam/scams.

What resources would you use to plan a ferry+train ride getting from Dublin to London, and can it be done in one day on a Wednesday? Also, is there any website that's particularly better, or more helpful for planning a one way from London to Dublin? Otherwise I've just been using sites like Travelocity...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:56 pm 

maybe stay here

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/258/ ... ross-hotel

close to Old Jewry which is in the city (I know this road pretty well - walked down it every day for years)

get on Resident Advisor for clubs - there's always something cool going on especially at the weekend

transport in London is great but it can be sloooow and the city is very big - always allow and hour for any journey!

get an oyster card and charge it up - swipe in and out everywhere - including trains and buses and trams!

if you stay in Kings Cross you can walk right across town through Covent Garden back up into Soho and across Green Park and Mayfair - from here you can do Ken High Street or Kings Road

one of my favourite things to do is to just walk right across this city and just soak up the energy - amazing

https://soundcloud.com/ian_halsall/sets/mhtrtf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:21 pm 

Thanks for the tips Ian :)

I've gotta say, one of the things I'm most excited for is going to MoS or Fabric on Saturday night... It will be cool to go to a place that I've only dreamt of going to since I learned what dance music was 15 years ago. It's funny for me to think that you guys from the UK are probably thinking "OMG HOW CHEESY. WHAT A TOURIST!" lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:12 pm 

ttilberg wrote:
going to MoS

Better make it quick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhoP9gb4C-o

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 pm 

ttilberg wrote:
It's funny for me to think that you guys from the UK are probably thinking "OMG HOW CHEESY. WHAT A TOURIST!" lol

The discerning clubbing tourist would go to fabric on a Saturday. You'll probably meet some people who have who have come over just to go to fabric. Spanish or Italian most likely. No shame there. I used to go quite lot, and keep meaning to try it again.

MoS is a little cheesy though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:55 pm 

seriously man - check Resident Advisor (google it)

MoS is in Elephant which is a bit ruff

Go to Fabric - get there early(ish) though!

Queues can be laaaaarge

Have fun and remember "when a man is tired of London one is tired of life, for ther is in London all that life can afford"

so let's 'ave it

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:29 pm 

Haha you guys are all awesome. RA is awesome too, I've been watching it for the past month -- It's been pretty empty as April is still out a bit.

Still looking for tips on travel between London and Ireland, at least reputable websites/companies to deal with! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:19 pm 

that I can't help you with - except to say you may not want to go back...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:51 am 

ttilberg wrote:
Another quick question -- We arrive in London Heathrow on Monday around noon, and want to take a flight to Dublin, spend two nights in Ireland, and then take the ferry and train back on Wednesday to begin my training on Thursday. (We want to do the ferry/train deal at least once, because... um.. that's what people do in Europe isn't it? Lol )

Can someone please provide resources to make this work out? There are a lot of websites out there, but not knowing anything of the area, I have no idea if these are reputable, or spam/scams.

What resources would you use to plan a ferry+train ride getting from Dublin to London, and can it be done in one day on a Wednesday? Also, is there any website that's particularly better, or more helpful for planning a one way from London to Dublin? Otherwise I've just been using sites like Travelocity...

Never done it, but surely Richard Branson didn't get to own a Caribbean island through ripping people off. Right?

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/tickets-o ... s-ferries/

Or any info you find through official Ireland tourist board sites should be good. These guys advertise on TV showing all the typical Irish stereotypes- people playing fiddles in your face when you're just trying to enjoy a quiet pint of guinness. Red headed women riding horses bareback on a really miserable grey day. That kind of thing.

http://www.discoverireland.ie/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:54 am 

Lol, thanks Andy :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:32 am 

ttilberg wrote:

You'd be better off flying if you want to go to Dublin. Only do the train if you are going to Paris, which takes far less time to get to from London than Dublin!

At the time you're getting into Heathrow, I highly doubt you'd be able to get to Dublin on public transport within a day. It takes an hour to get the tube from Heathrow into Central London alone!

Also Ireland uses a different currency to the UK.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:43 am 

Sage wrote:
ttilberg wrote:

You'd be better off flying if you want to go to Dublin. Only do the train if you are going to Paris, which takes far less time to get to from London than Dublin!

At the time you're getting into Heathrow, I highly doubt you'd be able to get to Dublin on public transport within a day. It takes an hour to get the tube from Heathrow into Central London alone!

Also Ireland uses a different currency to the UK.

It takes even longer if you travel with someone else!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:00 am 

if you fly into heathrow you'll be best to get a flight straight out to dublin. coming back on the wednesday via land and sea? - a quick look round the internet seems to indicate that it'll take most of the day. dublin to holyhead on the ferry looks like about 2 or 3 hours then the train back to london seems to be one way of doing it...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:19 pm 

The ferry can take an age. However, the culture on board is unique to the British Isles.
Try to imagine Pugatory, constructed from Formica and populated with belligerent sub-normals all nursing an 800 year grudge. Now make each hour of your journey into ten, and continue to subdivide those hours too. The ferry time follows Zeno's paradox. It will never end. Tears and pleading will not make it end. Drink will numb the pain.

Observed hours on a Ferry, by perceived duration.

You will have a new touchstone for awfulness that is a true distillation of British culture.
Spanish people come on our ferries to reassure each other that their coastal towns hadn't actually seen the worst of us, yet.

If you are going on a Ferry for culture, may I also recommend Hilton Park Service Station on the M6

Hilton Park Slogan : all the delights of a british ferry within reach of Wolverhampton. Kill yourself now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:50 pm 

But this is what us Europeans do!

Apparently.