Dave grohl sound city studio movie

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
eddiex

Dave grohl sound city studio movie

Post by eddiex » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:01 am

I don't know if any of you are interested, but that Sound city studios movie, by Dave grohl is available on I tunes. I watched it tonight. It's really cool from a history of rock and roll, stand point. If you are into that sort of thing and seeing some cool vintage recording gear. Its really well done. The bad side. The movie kind of bashes the whole computer studio musician/producer. I got the feeling they were saying, computers killed rock and roll. Unless you're Trent Reznor, who doesn't " use the technology as a crutch."
Over all I thought it was a pretty cool movie. It inspired me to make some music tonight. 8)
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

Tarekith

Re: Dave grohl sound city studio movie

Post by Tarekith » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks, been waiting for this one!
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:29 pm

I find it odd when people say "computers killed rock and roll", but simultaneously that computer music is considered less valid than rock and roll. so the weaker & less valuable thing killed the stronger and more valuable thing?

How did it do that?

Something tells me it's not the computers, but the choices of the creators, facilitators and listeners.

Duke Ellington and Quincy Jones could probably make a case that the proliferation of Rock and Roll "killed music" by being cheaper than a full orchestra and by focusing on raw idiot volume and and power-chords, but that would be an equally daft assertion.

Things change, and although it's sad that studios like SoundCity have to die, the fact is it belonged to an old economy. I remember the days when one afternoon in a crummy studio = 1 week of my wages, and that's without tape and engineer costs.
Frankly those days can suck a fat one.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Nothing killed rock'n'roll. Blues-scales on guitar being mainstream for 40+ years is going to wear thin. Hair metal in the 80's and media-circus "grunge" in the 90's exhausted it. Electronica is a natural progression. There's tons of people in my generation who went from playing in rock bands and getting bored of it to wanting to play with something new.
ImageImage

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:24 pm

i agree. i mean don't get me wrong, i used to love going to the studio. but its so expensive! i have a friend who booked some time at jackpot studios here in portland....that place costs $300 a day!! that is a lot of money!
i think dave g. kinda forgets that.
plus, its like, what is HE doing to further rock and roll?(besides the FOO FIGHTERS being awesome and making this movie) its not like he opened a studio, or started a label or is nurturing any young up and coming talent...no, he built HIMSELF a studio and invites paul mccartney and stevie nicks down to record.
i love dave grohl. and the movie was excellent. but i think he is a little out of touch.
its like you said, Angstrom, things change. it has happened over and over again.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:31 pm

shadx312 wrote:Nothing killed rock'n'roll. Blues-scales on guitar being mainstream for 40+ years is going to wear thin. Hair metal in the 80's and media-circus "grunge" in the 90's exhausted it. Electronica is a natural progression. There's tons of people in my generation who went from playing in rock bands and getting bored of it to wanting to play with something new.
THIS!

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Nice. Didn't know it was going to be available for rent/purchase so soon. I just bought it because the rental rate is stupid expensive and not much cheaper than buying it.

I'll be grilling up some burgers later and watching it which for me will be way more exciting than tomorrow's super bowl.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:56 pm

make sure you use headphones, or watch it with a good sound system!!!!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:33 pm

That was a great doc. It's too bad they didn't include a little bit about the mics, though. They have as much importance as the Neve imo.
I'm glad to see the story of the history with the bands and seeing them now in the story. Props to Grohl on the film.
I wasn't seeing much as far as "computers killed it"; yes they say how much ProTools fucked things but I didn't see it preachy in the sense of "computers/digital = evil", just that maintaining the human element will always be core. Having Trent in there to say he uses it as an instrument as opposed to a crutch said that.

And really it was just great seeing the icons like Nicks/Springfield/Petty/Rubin/Butch/McCartney together and the great jam sessions at the end.
Even the late-McCartney douchiness air is gone in the context. That's what it's all about.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Agreed it was a great doc, and I was wondering why they tossed Trent in there…until the end. Can’t wait for the album to be released. There’s also going to be some kind of mini tour with the artists involved. Springfield looks like BT. :x

A little perspective on time. My roommate is going to get the movie for his girlfriend’s 12-year-old daughter who is really into music. Even with the resurgence of the studio right after Nevermind was recorded there all those bands that followed were already pretty much toast before she was even born. 8O :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Definitely great movie.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:57 pm

Where are people getting the idea rock is dying or that electronic music is replacing it?? At least from my perspective anyway there aren't any less rock bands than there was 15 years ago.
This silly idea has been around since the 70's with the emergence of full on electronic synth based bands. Sounded stupid back then with rock bands proclaiming synth music as a fad that would die out and synth bands proclaiming rock is dead, because it's all been done before etc. sounds stupid now with people claiming the same tired cliches.

Also, much respect to Trent as an artist, zero respect to him as a commentator on music. He always says something negative about some other musicians or artists, it's not very cool.
Especially considering his start as a Flock of Seagulls / Missing Persons / Cars style new wave guy in the 80's when Industrial had been around for a dozen years at least by then. At first he was all apologetic about making Industrial pop music, now he routinely trashes artists he ripped from in the first place, or people who are doing Industrial without pop hooks.... :roll:

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Where are people getting the idea rock is dying or that electronic music is replacing it??
Top music charts. I don’t think I’ve seen a rock song in the top 10 in over a year and house beats are being plopped on just about every other mainstream genre out there.

Just putting that out there as a reason some people might be saying that.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:32 pm

beats me wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Where are people getting the idea rock is dying or that electronic music is replacing it??
Top music charts. I don’t think I’ve seen a rock song in the top 10 in over a year and house beats are being plopped on just about every other mainstream genre out there.

Just putting that out there as a reason some people might be saying that.
Meh, same could be said for the 80's at one point.
One thing, electronic music and rap have in common is they prop up an artist for a while then jump on the next big thing.
House has become kind of a catch all thing. At some point just like Grunge and Hair metal it will die down a bit.
So for instance in the local music scene here there are a ton of rock, metal and indie bands, as well as the local electronic, 'new wave' and Industrial musicians.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:45 pm

Angstrom wrote:I find it odd when people say "computers killed rock and roll", but simultaneously that computer music is considered less valid than rock and roll. so the weaker & less valuable thing killed the stronger and more valuable thing?

How did it do that?

Something tells me it's not the computers, but the choices of the creators, facilitators and listeners.

Duke Ellington and Quincy Jones could probably make a case that the proliferation of Rock and Roll "killed music" by being cheaper than a full orchestra and by focusing on raw idiot volume and and power-chords, but that would be an equally daft assertion.

Things change, and although it's sad that studios like SoundCity have to die, the fact is it belonged to an old economy. I remember the days when one afternoon in a crummy studio = 1 week of my wages, and that's without tape and engineer costs.
Frankly those days can suck a fat one.
:mrgreen: fuck yea!

beats has a point regarding the last time a rock song was being touted as anything with mass appeal.

i wouldn't say that rock is dead though... its just gone somewhat underground, which has a tendency to be quite the melting pot.