Dave grohl sound city studio movie

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Dave grohl sound city studio movie

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:04 pm

I think there will always be a lot of rock/metal at the local level because you always will have people who want to play guitar. What else are they going to do? If you used craigslist musician ads as an indicator you’d think rock and metal were the only genres on the planet.

Sadly you rarely find anybody at the local level who wants to collaborate or jam in some other genre, especially electronica. That’s probably why there’s so much formulaic subpar cookie cutter music out there. Too many people doing it all by themselves free to be completely unique but inevitably just end up sounding like everybody else. “What’s your inspiration?” “Youtube tutorials.” Perhaps if you got a few more breathing entities involved it would make something unique.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:08 pm

I tend to collaborate, mainly with singers and drummers.
Collaborating with other songwriters is great for the actual music, and generally hard on the musicians.
There's a reason most of the best songwriting teams only last about 5 years or so.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:11 pm

electronica artists have a tendency to be solo acts. now, before i get a list of obscure duos/groups that i've mostly never really heard of to dispute this... let me please note that i'm speaking in very general terms...

here's an example... on my drive to work today i was listening to Pretty Lights (beats me recommended H20 approved). that dude is not exactly jumping up and down doing interview/jam sessions with a guy who rocks horn section and cello samples as the newest member of his road tour the way Trent might need to for that second drum stool.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:58 pm

i agree with beats on the 10 year thing....i think kurt cobain shooting himself was the beginning of the end for rock & roll...it was completely dead by the early 2000's. (just talking mainstream) i think the white stripes/jack white and foo fighters of course are the exception.

as far as my thoughts about the movie, kind of bashing computer music/production. dave grohl has been extremely vocal about that. there is probably a good chance i was exaggerating how much bashing they were doing. i just like dave grohl, and by the end of the movie, i felt kind of like shit, that i record/play music primarily with a computer....and that i have never used a neve board. i felt like i, as a computer musician, was being judged.

i like trent reznor too...that guy is a phenomenal musician. though i didn't realize he did so much shit talking....i know he talked some smack about manson and courtney love..those guys definitely deserve it though. :lol: im not sure....he was rocking a bunch of native instruments stuff there, wasn't he?

i dug all of the celebrity jam stuff too. stevie nicks, is amazing!! probably my favorite female vocalist ALL TIME! even the paul mccartney stuff (recorded) sounded pretty awesome..(i poo pooed it when they played 12 12 12 and on SNL.)

oh about the neve board...not sure if you guys are interested, and not to spam it up, if you are in portland, the studio i mentioned earlier, JACKPOT RECORDING STUDIOS http://jackpotrecording.com/equipment/...those dudes are rocking a neve. its 300$ a day (a full 24 hour day) if you know what you are doing, they will hand you the keys to the studio, and roll out. oh they also have one of those emt plate reverbs...not a plug in, like the real deal. if you ever want to rock a real studio. that place is really cool. plus i live about a block away, we can go grab a veggie burrito, or jam out or something. :lol:
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:52 am

I totally missed Dave bagging on electronica on an awards show or whatever and I'm not going to look it up, but recently I heard an interview, and this was not in response to that rant, he fully admitted that his ears are shot like most long term musicians and he couldn't tell you by just listening if a song was recorded on tape or digitally or if it was being played on vinyl or an mp3. I think at the heart of it he's more about the magic that happens when groups of people come together each with an expertise to make a finish product as opposed to a single person sitting in front of a computer with a bunch of (comparatively) cheap expertise emulating plug-ins.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:10 am

I would certainly say that "many people in a room" can produce some brilliant and interestingly innovative and deep music, but then " many people in a room" can also (and more often) produce some really terrible derivative music. I used to work opposite a rehearsal studios. 1 in 50 are passable at best.

Also, one person in a room can produce some brilliant and innovative music, but more often one person in a room produces terrible and derivative music. I have visited soundcloud. 1 in 50 are passable at best.

I'm sensing a pattern here.

I think perhaps its people who are the problem, not the mode of expression, but the idiots doing the expressing.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:38 am

Angstrom wrote:I would certainly say that "many people in a room" can produce some brilliant and interestingly innovative and deep music, but then " many people in a room" can also (and more often) produce some really terrible derivative music. I used to work opposite a rehearsal studios. 1 in 50 are passable at best.

Also, one person in a room can produce some brilliant and innovative music, but more often one person in a room produces terrible and derivative music. I have visited soundcloud. 1 in 50 are passable at best.

I'm sensing a pattern here.

I think perhaps its people who are the problem, not the mode of expression, but the idiots doing the expressing.
Metallica+ Lou Reed

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:59 am

ImageImage

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:04 am

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:05 am

:lol:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:22 am

Yeah I love Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl is a pretty decent guy but he does have a habbit of really digging people that don't "play an instrument". When I saw them in 2011 he went on a rant saying "You kids out there tonight just look at us... We rock and we only have a guitar, drums and bass. Get off your computers and learn a real instrument" and of course everyone cheers and yells.

I bet he doesn't bash that into his producer and mixing team when they spend hours making it all sound good.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:24 am

I thought it was interesting how they were using MDR V700s most of the time too.

And the Rupert Neve interview is classic.

"Yeah Butch, tell Paul McCartney what to do." LOL :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:33 am

jestermgee wrote:Yeah I love Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl is a pretty decent guy but he does have a habbit of really digging people that don't "play an instrument". When I saw them in 2011 he went on a rant saying "You kids out there tonight just look at us... We rock and we only have a guitar, drums and bass. Get off your computers and learn a real instrument" and of course everyone cheers and yells.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibUbIyska9k

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:51 pm

What Dave isn’t factoring in is that most musicians don’t have the opportunity or more importantly the money to collaborate with the kind of talent that has made his career, even less so since rock has taken a back seat to just about every other genre.

And it’s not like a bunch of electronica producers don’t like or appreciate rock music and musicians. And here’s a thought, maybe electronica producers actually like the music they are producing. It’s not just the pastime of somebody too lazy to learn how to play an instrument.

I still like Dave in general though. I think he just tends to get wrapped up in the moment of his rockiness.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm

My coworker just handed me a sheet of the world's richest singers. Dave Grohl is #11 with a net worth of $225 million.