All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: UK legalises gay marriage
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:04 am 

funken wrote:
You are a manipulator. You try to play a sublet game of psychological bullying. This is where you pretend to be nice while stabbing people in the back. You pretend to be helpful and objective while kicking a man on the ground in the nuts. You seize on 'name calling' while indulging in vicious slander. You rewrite history in front of our eyes, a would-be little Stalin.

I knew it! Machines has been playing the long game all along. It's only a matter of time before he psycho-manipulates the rest of us. :lol: I don't want to start another personal dispute, I just found that analysis pretty funny.

Anyway, right back at the beginning, I was up for discussing the fact that a large number of Tories who voted against this. Including, I believe, over half of the party whips (for the benefit of others - these are the guys who are supposed to make the MPs vote in line with the party). This Bill only passed in the commons because of huge support of the Lib Dems and Labour.

This is how we left it:

funken wrote:
final vote 464 to 38.

Quite incredible, under a Tory government. Over 100 Tories initially rebelled.

andydes wrote:
funken wrote:
andydes wrote:
Revised numbers-
400 for
175 against

Not quite as good a result, but much more believable.

no that was the first round vote

Why are all the newspapers saying it passed with a 225 majority?

funken wrote:
Cos they are all fascist capitalist media liars.
(I've reached the embedded quote limit)

I couldn't see where you got your numbers from, but since this is still going, I finally found time to look into it. What you quoted wasn't the main vote. Here's the critical points form the Guardian Live blog:

Quote:
7.48pm GMT

Here's a very quick summary.

• MPs have voted for the gay marriage bill by 400 votes to 175 - a majority of 225. Such a large majority probably increases the chances of the bill being able to get through the House of Lords this year, without the government having to rely on the Parliament Act to push it through in 2014.

• More than half of the Tory MPs who voted chose to oppose gay marriage. Initial figures suggest that 139 Tories voted against, and only 132 voted for. Technically this is not a rebellion, because it was a free vote. But it is a severe embarrassment to David Cameron.

Quote:
7.50pm GMT

MPs have voted for the money resolution by 481 votes to 34 - a majority of 347.

MPs don't normally vote on money resolutions, and the 34 who voted against must be hard-core rebels who are making a point.

Quote:
7.59pm GMT

MPs are now voting on the carry over motion. This is another technicality. It's the motion that would allow the bill be be carried over into the next session of parliament if it has not become law before the Queen's Speech in the spring.

Philip Cowley, the expert on parliamentary revolts, thinks this is significant.

Quote:

8.03pm GMT

The carry over motion was passed by 464 to 38 - a majority of 426.

All the votes related to the gay marriage bill are now over.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog ... -live-blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:46 pm 

I'm gonna have whiskey, how about you?
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:13 pm 

my god.

:x

H20nly wrote:
saving the planet from being taken over by robots, of course!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:06 pm 

Yeah cheers Andydes, looks like you're about the only one capable of a proper discussion in here. Yeah it was the Carry Over figure I got, which I got of the person referred to at the start of the thread. Not sure what the difference is. I don't really know the voting mechanism.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9