Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Well I guess I saved myself a rant since you have "inspired" in the title. I overlooked it.

I was going more for authentic than inspired by.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:25 pm

shadx312 wrote:btw the last 2 I listed were just jokes for the same reason you shuddered at the "fuck, it's the 80's"
wel, the Tarzan one...how can you not throw that down in a party
I’ll have to revisit the posts this weekend. I figured your last 2 were more of a joke. :wink:

It’s also amazing how unflattering the skin tight clothes were on women in the 80’s. :x

earthloop
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:58 pm

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by earthloop » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:44 pm

beats me wrote:
shadx312 wrote:Can you be specific?
... I’m not ashamed to admit I like commercial pop (from whatever decade) so I was looking for a little more Depeche Mode and a little less Axel F.
So did you like the 'City Calm Down' tracks? I think this band really does sound 'authentic' 80's pop with a 'modern' edge. I love synth pop in the vein you are describing too (in fact I had a lot to do with bands like that in the 80's myself) Just getting a handle on what you were describing as your preference :D

here is another one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT9VQLBSrIs remember this band are just young guys ...been together around 12 months so they are just getting their shit together.

When I think of 80's synth pop I think of bands like New Order (+Joy Division) , OMD, Tears for Fears, Echo and the Bunnymen, even ABC, Ultravox etc. This is what I hear in this band. Unfortunately I haven't heard many others that come to mind right now that have an authentic (but modern) sound like the bands mentioned. There are, of course...just can't think of them right now :-)

BTW I don't know if it is just my connection but if you find the Utube download choppy just pause and let it download for a minute or two...might just be my end though.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:02 pm

earthloop wrote:
beats me wrote:
shadx312 wrote:Can you be specific?
... I’m not ashamed to admit I like commercial pop (from whatever decade) so I was looking for a little more Depeche Mode and a little less Axel F.
So did you like the 'City Calm Down' tracks? I think this band really does sound 'authentic' 80's pop with a 'modern' edge. I love synth pop in the vein you are describing too (in fact I had a lot to do with bands like that in the 80's myself) Just getting a handle on what you were describing as your preference :D

here is another one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT9VQLBSrIs remember this band are just young guys ...been together around 12 months so they are just getting their shit together.

When I think of 80's synth pop I think of bands like New Order (+Joy Division) , OMD, Tears for Fears, Echo and the Bunnymen, even ABC, Ultravox etc. This is what I hear in this band. Unfortunately I haven't heard many others that come to mind right now that have an authentic (but modern) sound like the bands mentioned. There are, of course...just can't think of them right now :-)

BTW I don't know if it is just my connection but if you find the Utube download choppy just pause and let it download for a minute or two...might just be my end though.

Yeah I remember the tracks you shared before being pretty good. I was just too lazy to go through all the tracks shared and put “-like” or “-SHIT” after each. Plus I realized my post was rather open ended and it’s all a matter of personal taste.

earthloop
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:58 pm

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by earthloop » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:05 pm

beats me wrote: Yeah I remember the tracks you shared before being pretty good. I was just too lazy to go through all the tracks shared and put “-like” or “-SHIT” after each. Plus I realized my post was rather open ended and it’s all a matter of personal taste.
Yeah, fair enough. You wouldn't want to become committed to 'liking' or otherwise what could end up being hundreds of posts :lol:

Machinesworking
Posts: 11122
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:12 pm

shadx312 wrote: And I like Axel F.
Kraftwerk, I understand their monumental principal influence and I'm not familiar with their whole discography but for the most part I'm, "eh, it's aight".

The most influential albums in my opinion are their "middle" period.
Radioactivity
Trans Europe Express
Man Machine
Computer World

Before that they were more Krautrock influenced (well they were an original Krautrock band to be clear), and after it's just OK, not groundbreaking or worth more than a couple listens. To be honest IMO they're a great example of a group that sounded much much better before the emergence of digital synths and computers. There actually isn't much done on a computer on Computer World. :lol:

Machinesworking
Posts: 11122
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:17 pm

earthloop wrote: When I think of 80's synth pop I think of bands like New Order (+Joy Division) , OMD, Tears for Fears, Echo and the Bunnymen, even ABC, Ultravox etc. This is what I hear in this band. Unfortunately I haven't heard many others that come to mind right now that have an authentic (but modern) sound like the bands mentioned. There are, of course...just can't think of them right now :-)
ABC and Echo and the Bunnyman? Synth Pop?

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:28 pm

shadx312 wrote:You know what Beats? I'm gonna hold off and ask you if I should continue that off tangent in another thread or not.
Grant you I've been up since yesterday morning and I'm gonna crash if I don't hear anything by the time I finish this glass of wine.
All rants welcome. I missed this cause I responded before your edit.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
earthloop wrote: When I think of 80's synth pop I think of bands like New Order (+Joy Division) , OMD, Tears for Fears, Echo and the Bunnymen, even ABC, Ultravox etc. This is what I hear in this band. Unfortunately I haven't heard many others that come to mind right now that have an authentic (but modern) sound like the bands mentioned. There are, of course...just can't think of them right now :-)
ABC and Echo and the Bunnyman? Synth Pop?

I suppose that is also the result of my broad stroke title of the thread. That first Kate Boy track I posted isn’t exactly synth pop either. Most of it sounds like an acoustic bass line from a dozen Cure tracks with some synth melodies tossed in.

earthloop
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:58 pm

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by earthloop » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
earthloop wrote: When I think of 80's synth pop I think of bands like New Order (+Joy Division) , OMD, Tears for Fears, Echo and the Bunnymen, even ABC, Ultravox etc. This is what I hear in this band. Unfortunately I haven't heard many others that come to mind right now that have an authentic (but modern) sound like the bands mentioned. There are, of course...just can't think of them right now :-)
ABC and Echo and the Bunnyman? Synth Pop?
O.K. maybe Echo and the Bunnymen were more guitar oriented, but ABC definitely had a synth base to their music. Trevor Horn (the producer of The Lexicon Of Love album) mentions the use of the then revolutionary Fairlight synth on that album, and on the following track 'Poison Arrow' :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIW_AU2UyN4 :wink:

nathannn
Posts: 3317
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:38 am
Location: U.S.

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by nathannn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:27 pm

please, that Tarzan vs this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r0n9Dv6XnY

I dont know why tarzan boy never became a new rick roll
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

earthloop
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:58 pm

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by earthloop » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:00 pm

This was the beginning of '80's synth pop' . In this seminal song the guitar was replaced by the synth (albeit simple ) and the melodic bassline which would underpin all 80's synth pop music appeared so that the dominant arrangements were bass drums and synth... This song (and band) signalled the beginning of 'the 80's sound'...and that sound/style began with Joy Division! And it was all down hill from there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHYOXyy1ToI (arguably the greatest pop song ever written! 8) )

and at the end, this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQSpJfpVHmg ...this always brings a tear to my eye...

Promised Eden
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:48 am

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by Promised Eden » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:08 am

Please Check My Music.
I Am Producing In The Style Of The Eighties With Ableton Live.

http://youtu.be/ME25aaOuNaA

http://youtu.be/q_o61zBCl2s

http://youtu.be/YWCWuPuYj_U

http://youtu.be/6ebZQNlnkWw

I Hope You Like My Stuff.

I Am Also Seeking For Collaborators For Common Eighties Projects With Other Ableton Live Users Through This Announcement.
Just Write Me An E-Mail To Extinguishedheart@googlemail.com Or To Facebook On www.facebook.com/promisededen .
Greetings Alex @ Promised Eden.

dhilsabeck
Posts: 5935
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:52 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by dhilsabeck » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:48 am


Donnie
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:16 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Contact:

Re: Post some newish 80's synth pop inspired shit

Post by Donnie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Anything by Ultraista for starters:

http://www.ultraista.co.uk/

I also can't get this song out of my head lately, definitely gives me that 80's vibe:

Squarehead - Dead Reyt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHh0TMh23sw

Post Reply