Jeremy Ellis tutorial on finger drumming

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Jeremy Ellis tutorial on finger drumming

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:59 pm

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/maschine-virtuosity

I’m already a subscriber to MacProVideo so I’ll be checking it out.

tkarmakid

Re: Jeremy Ellis tutorial on finger drumming

Post by tkarmakid » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Jeremy Ellis is so cool. I checked out the videos, its good stuff. Is there going to be more than 3 videos? I always liked this video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MZl7pHF1NQ

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:45 pm

*bookmark*

8)

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:52 pm

tkarmakid wrote:Is there going to be more than 3 videos?

3 videos? It's a lot more than that. Almost 3 hours worth of videos.

• Chapter 1: Maschine Virtuosity
• 1: Warm Up & Get Ready
• 03:19
1. Introduction
• 05:51
2. Welcome
• 03:34
3. Naming Stuff & Navigating
• 03:24
4. Load & Review Factory Kit
• 02:20
5. The Approach & Warm-ups
• 01:18
6. More Warm-ups
• 03:27
7. Warming Up Some More
• 03:39
8. Create Pattern, Note Names & Lengths
• 05:26
9. Create Pattern, Use Draw Tool
• 01:54
10. No Way is Way
• 2: "No Way Is Way"
• 03:53
11. Ways 1 & 2
• 02:45
12. Way 3
• 04:02
13. Way 4
• 02:56
14. Ways 5 & 6
• 01:57
15. Review: 1 through 6
• 04:16
16. Ways 7 & 8
• 04:43
17. Ways 9 & 10
• 03:45
18. Review: 1 through 10
• 3: Programming Tips, Sample Chop
• 03:33
19. Hand Stretch Break
• 04:06
20. Drag & Drop, New Systems
• 02:35
21. Locate & Load Break
• 05:29
22. Chopping Break into 16 Chunks
• 03:55
23. More 16-Chunk Ideas
• 08:00
24. The Jeremy System
• 4: Syncopation, Diddles, Doubles & Triplets
• 01:10
25. Syncopation, Paradiddles and Fills
• 05:25
26. 2 into 4, Both Hands or One Hand
• 02:53
27. 2 into 4, eight-note steady Rhythm
• 05:12
28. Paradiddles Concepts
• 03:18
29. More Paradiddles Concepts
• 03:55
30. 2-finger Open Rolls
• 04:56
31. More 2-finger Rolls and Triplets
• 05:27
32. Fills, Pick-Ups and Ghost Notes
• 5: Add 16th Notes, Ways 3-10
• 02:42
33. 16th-note Ideas Using Ways 3–6
• 03:15
34. Ways 7 & 8 using 16th Notes
• 02:06
35. Way 9 Using 16th Notes
• 04:40
36. Way 10 Using 16th Notes
• 04:03
37. Crash Cymbals
• 08:26
38. Final Exercise and Full Review (All Ways)
• 01:15
39. Thanks for Coming!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:02 pm

I don’t want to offend anybody on here, so sorry in advance. But if you want to see all the tutorials you are going to have to PAY for them.

Sorry for using colorful language.

:x

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Thats cool. I dont want to offend anybody with my laziness in digging deeper to find that info for myself. I do see that it costs $19.50 and it looks worth every penny. :D

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:19 pm

tkarmakid wrote:Thats cool. I dont want to offend anybody with my laziness in digging deeper to find that info for myself. I do see that it costs $19.50 and it looks worth every penny. :D
Truth. :)

And I’m not a shill for MPV but I always recommend a subscription because you have access to stream everything they release ever and cool shit like this tut series always comes out.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:46 am

Man, he makes that look so easy. And looks so much fun. I'm starting to think I might subscribe to that. Would love to rock my MPD like that.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:13 pm

beats me wrote:
tkarmakid wrote:I do see that it costs $19.50 and it looks worth every penny. :D
Truth. :)

And I’m not a shill for MPV but I always recommend a subscription because you have access to stream everything they release ever and cool shit like this tut series always comes out.
Im very tempted to buy this!

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:26 am

I went ahead and bought this and Im pretty happy with it so far. I couldnt afford the subscription atm (its more than national geographic, wth?)so I bought the download instead. Very worth it. He has good ideas for how to practice the pads (I got to the 2 into 8 video before I got stuck, Ill be practicing those for a while). I bet with regular practice with his routine for 30m days there would be a huge improvement in my technique.
Also, it isnt necessary to have the maschine to benfit from this video series. Im using a Padkontrol with ableton and am able to follow along or understand the concepts of what he is doing with maschine in the context of ableton (I finally got around to using the slice to new midi function). On the downside, you have to use there video player called NED. The transport controls (?) for the video player stay on the screen (and they're big) unless you move your mouse, its kind of annoying. just be sure to move your mouse to the side of the screen before you move away.
If your thinking about getting it, just do it. Its a real treat and you deserve it. :lol:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:44 am

tkarmakid wrote: If your thinking about getting it, just do it. Its a real treat and you deserve it. :lol:
Oh, thanks for thinking of me... :D

Yeah I was thinking of getting better at my MPD. I use it almost daily but because I am a studio guy I haven't had the drive to sit and finger drum to practice when all I do is tap out 1 instrument at a time most times anyway.

I do love the idea of performing an entire song on-the-fly and am always impressed when people can do it rather than just playing a song and tweaking FX. Even when you know they have spent days/weeks memorising it all it's more of a performance with an instrument than a regurgitation.

Dilema is:

Bottle of Scotch... Or... Videos

:?

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:12 pm

tkarmakid wrote:I went ahead and bought this and Im pretty happy with it so far. I couldnt afford the subscription atm (its more than national geographic, wth?)so I bought the download instead. Very worth it. He has good ideas for how to practice the pads (I got to the 2 into 8 video before I got stuck, Ill be practicing those for a while). I bet with regular practice with his routine for 30m days there would be a huge improvement in my technique.
Also, it isnt necessary to have the maschine to benfit from this video series. Im using a Padkontrol with ableton and am able to follow along or understand the concepts of what he is doing with maschine in the context of ableton (I finally got around to using the slice to new midi function). On the downside, you have to use there video player called NED. The transport controls (?) for the video player stay on the screen (and they're big) unless you move your mouse, its kind of annoying. just be sure to move your mouse to the side of the screen before you move away.
If your thinking about getting it, just do it. Its a real treat and you deserve it. :lol:

Totally understand if you can’t afford a subscription right now, but if you take some time to just browse all the tutorials they offer (even the ones that don’t have to do with music) and add up the price of what it would cost to buy them individually a subscription looks like a steal.

I only made it through the first couple tuts. The warm ups seem like they may really mundane and basic, but I’m sure even real drummers did the same with their kit in the beginning.

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:51 pm

beats me wrote:
if you take some time to just browse all the tutorials they offer (even the ones that don’t have to do with music) and add up the price of what it would cost to buy them individually a subscription looks like a steal.

I only made it through the first couple tuts. The warm ups seem like they may really mundane and basic, but I’m sure even real drummers did the same with their kit in the beginning.
I did look at their selection, they have a some really good stuff ill probably check out later.As for the warm ups, some of them are pretty simple and mundane; but I need to be taken back to that level because I was geting ahead of myself and am sloppy because of It. Slow practice is good, even though it may seem boring at first, you can really get into a zone that can be quite meditative. Ive done this with the piano. I'm not great or anything but have seen results in my playing. If I can get some time in to practice this on the padkontrol Im sure I will see results on it too. Hopefully I can clean up my timing! :mrgreen:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 pm

tkarmakid wrote:
beats me wrote:
if you take some time to just browse all the tutorials they offer (even the ones that don’t have to do with music) and add up the price of what it would cost to buy them individually a subscription looks like a steal.

I did look at their selection, they have a some really good stuff ill probably check out later.As for the warm ups, some of them are pretty simple and mundane; but I need to be taken back to that level because I was geting ahead of myself and am sloppy because of It. Slow practice is good, even though it may seem boring at first, you can really get into a zone that can be quite meditative. Ive done this with the piano. I'm not great or anything but have seen results in my playing. If I can get some time in to practice this on the padkontrol Im sure I will see results on it too. Hopefully I can clean up my timing! :mrgreen:

For sure. My current best finger drumming is usually no more than bass drum and snare. If I attempt to do hats or anything else at the same time it usually falls to shit quickly…or is a very basic House beat.