so i just got a eurorack modular system (video included)

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
leisuremuffin

so i just got a eurorack modular system (video included)

Post by leisuremuffin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:55 pm

http://youtu.be/X5n0Yo_xnNU

it's pretty sick.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Angstrom

Re: so i just got a eurorack modular system (video included)

Post by Angstrom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Sounding good, im glad it wasnt one of those modular vids that just goes "bleebleoobpearbleiblebleebleoooblearbleible" ? I could actually listen to this for enjoyment purposes.

So, I will forgive the sin of Vertical Video
Just this once.

BTW : That's an unusually fruity selection of components for a first modular.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:07 pm

Sounds like quality tone even with the ambient vid mic. Want

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:13 pm

well, its my first modular that i actually own, but i've been a synth freak for my whole life. I knew pretty much exactly what i wanted. not used in this video are: intellijel rubicon, dixie, µVCF and quad invert, doepfer quantizer and 4 way seq switch, elby ASR, STG .SHN, manhattan CVP, make noise woggle, tiptop lp filter. Waiting for some other stuff to be back in stock anywhere but am going to add a few more pieces to fill this 9u and then hopefully won't buy any more for at least a year. I'm really excited about integrating with live via silent way. but haven't tried yet as this is only day 2 of having the thing so pretty much haven't touched anything else, or slept...

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Angstrom wrote:Sounding good, im glad it wasnt one of those modular vids that just goes "bleebleoobpearbleiblebleebleoooblearbleible" ? I could actually listen to this for enjoyment purposes.
+1

Good tune modular videos seem to be few and far between... Some inspiration maybe: http://youtu.be/k9DJH8q4rvE

Anyway... good shit LM, keep it coming... :)

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:47 pm

thanks guys! here's another video. direct sound this time. I'm so excited to finally have this system. i've wanted one for 15 years to get one and now i wish i had done it sooner. so much fun!!!!!

http://youtu.be/7F-OPRsCKXw

.lm.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:28 am

geez man, sounds so rich and 'unsoftware like'

Bet it feels like a million bucks control wise too.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:17 am

i don't actually think it sounds any better than software in any appreciable way. certainly can do some different things than what i currently have for software though. and a lot of people in the modular synth world actually complain about the cramped controls and level of quality on these eurorack systems. A great deal of people think they are basically shit compared to some other systems. I disagree, i'm willing to trade the difficulty of getting my fingers on a smaller control area in exchange for having extremely high funcional density. I can carry this thing around, its the size of a small suitcase and weighs less than 40 pounds, but packs more functionality than a lot of old moog series III systems i've seen that take up a whole wall. If i had shit fuck tons of money, i'd probably get a buchla 200e system, but that would cost me more than 3 times what i paid for this system. also thought about STS serge, which is really nice, and super high quality, but again, i can get way more in eurorack for less $$ so thats the way it goes.

Anyway, i went off on a bit of a tangent there. I feel like the real advantages are aren't the sound quality or the kinds of sounds you can get. I think it's all about the immediate real time control of every single parameter, the flexibility and ease of programing, and the insane levels of fun. I'm just now getting into using it with the expert sleepers silent way plugin, which allows the transmission of control voltage from an audio interface. It's pretty exciting stuff. I think this is the best time ever to get into modular synths. There's a ton of little companies making really interesting modules, and they can be integrated with software very well.

jeez, maybe i should have posted this in the actual music part of the forum.

.lm.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:41 am

ha ha, i haven't even explored my new soft synths. Had a waldorf q-16 which killed my soft synths. wtf, that was 2001... whatever. I certainly miss my old synths. jupiter 8, Juno 60, crumar string machine, dr55 dr rhythm. I had them in the mid 80's and made a bit of noise but never the time to invest. Kinda like now. I still! wanna make the noise but 'serious fun-time' needs to be made. Which really could happen this year. So i'm looking a bit )

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:25 am

Here's another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeCMliF5Ml0

Gonna post a more serious on in the music forum soon.

.lm.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:41 am

leisuremuffin wrote:http://youtu.be/X5n0Yo_xnNU

it's pretty sick.

.lm.