THE Big Ass Ableton Live Set

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Muzik 4 Machines

THE Big Ass Ableton Live Set

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:43 am

click image to see full size
ok
the drums track has a mega rack on it

the first "device" is a rack with 20 slots, each maped to a note, with the mute of those slots maped to my APC

then there is a drum rack that sends the MIDI to different notes (this is just so i have names in my editors instead oc notes)
in this drum rack there is the "input subrack" which is a 4 slot rack with each an external fx using inly the return for kick, snare, everything else from the esx (hats, crashes, ets) and the ER1 (those 4 have their levels mapped to the main rack macros)

on the ER1 chain there is a subrack containing livecut with a dry wet mapped to macro 1 of the main rack

i also built myself a "send" rack to allow me to send only the ER1 to my main send fx

there is also a gate on the (rest of drums) input as the ESX tubes are noisy as hell

tx, mks, dx, nord and vocoder all have a similar rack with external instrument, lo/hi cut and a max4live device to allow macro to send CC to the said external instrument (porta, level, mod, etc, depneding on what the synth understands)
the tx and mks have gates as they are noisy beasts
then there is the "pumper", just basic live compressor fed by a dedicated sidechain track, with the threshold mapped to a macro in the main rack so i can "fade" from no pumping to max pumping delicately (it's also maped to a button on the APC(the record enable buttons) for fast(and especially) simutaneous switching)

the 2 "sampler" tracks have each a livecut rack (like the drums, with a dry slot and a crossfading chain selection between dry and livecut), a pumper rack and an EQ3 with hi and lo cut with sweepable frequency

the kaossilator track pretty much the same type of rack as the instruments with another custom M4L device to control the MIDI Mixer 7 submixer that receives the kaossilator, ipod and other "not essential to be on a dedicated rack" things

every midi track has a special M4L device that cuts the MIDI and at the same time sends a note off, because muting(on/off) the track cuts the sound and thus any sustain tail, so not usable, and if i just cut the midi flow without sending a note off there might be hanging notes

i use the apc 50/50 as a remote and a force mapped midi controller

the faders and grid are mobile but the track stop,solo, rec and on butons are force mapped

track stops are main drum on/off
1- kick
2- snare 1
3- snare 2
4- claps
5- closed hat 1
6- open hat 1
7- perc
8- open/closed noise hats

the on buttons on every track but the drum controls the special midi mute devices, on the drums it's a chain selector on the mutes rack that effectively mutes all the esx but the crash but let the ER1 pass thru

the solo buttons are on/off for the ER1 sounds

the record enable buttons control the pumper on every track but the drum

i forced mapped the master to the kp3 return and the cross fader to the kaossilator track

i forced mapped the record button to select the kaossilator track to access individual MM7s input via macros (and also fx sends via a special internal send rack+utilities tracks like in the drum/er1 rack)

the 3 sends banks are mobile but i forced mapped the pan ones to the NORD send, tho it might disappear as i dont really use the nord as an fx as i thought i'd do

i also inversed the start and stop cause they have them reversed

the cue knob is force mapped to the master but i never ever touch it, it's set to -6 and stas there, but its probably usefull to have access to the master without mousing in case something happens and i need to shut it down

tap tempo is selected scene start, and the nudges are next/previous for those times when you forgot to move around with the redbox and used the mouse

the returns are regular returns except the last 3
they are special bus for the FOH
1 is the kick alone, 1 the bass alone and the other is a stereo mix minus kick and bass (it's a work in progress tho, i might opt for stereo drums, mono kick, mono bass and stereo mix without drums and bass, i think that will depend on the venue (i also have a stereo full mix out on the master for recording/my earphones

for now the bass and kick are pre but it might go post

that's about it, i'm pretty sure it's impossible to understand as i explain pretty badly
Last edited by Muzik 4 Machines on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pepezabala

Re: THE Big Ass abLeton Live Set (BALLS)+iPad

Post by pepezabala » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:07 am

that's quite impressive. which computer do you use, does it max out?
as far as I understood you don't use any efx on the main channels, right?

how much RAM does your set use when running?

Muzik 4 Machines

Re: THE Big Ass abLeton Live Set (BALLS)+iPad

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:17 am

pepezabala wrote:that's quite impressive. which computer do you use, does it max out?
as far as I understood you don't use any efx on the main channels, right?

how much RAM does your set use when running?
thanks
macbookpro 1st gen with 2 gb ram, way not enough
i use compressors on every track
a few gates here and there, 4 live cut, 4 eq3, and 1 delay
all sources are hardware, and 3 of the 4 send fx are also external, but my computer is still too lazy
first 6 columns are only midi, only zikpler and voxpler are audio tracks, and not in every song(about 25%), i never calculated how much ram it takes, but there is 2,5 GB of audio files, but i dont load the 4 minutes stereo waves of remixes in ram, just the 8 bar chunks (drum loops, eported instruments)

all my clips are 8 bars in 95% of the scenes, i only have about 10-15 songs that are pre programmed, the rest is loops for improv

supamonsta

Re: THE Big Ass Ableton Live Set

Post by supamonsta » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:00 pm

impressive

1) do you have a precise question?

2) are you french?

3) how do you color the scenes names??

4) do you have a link to download one of your liveset recordings??

cheers

Tyko

Post by Tyko » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:21 pm

so what does it sound like? :roll:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:39 pm

A serious Live post in the Lounge? It's surely The End of Days.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:26 pm

sorry for the serious post in the lounge, i should have posted it somewhere else, but i didnt need help or had a technical issue

you can hear it on http://youtube.com/muzik4machines

impressive

1) do you have a precise question? no, i'm just an attention whore :lol:

2) are you french? canadian

3) how do you color the scenes names?? same way you color clip

4) do you have a link to download one of your liveset recordings?? see youtube link at the top of the reply

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 am

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:sorry for the serious post in the lounge, i should have posted it somewhere else, but i didnt need help or had a technical issue

you can hear it on http://youtube.com/muzik4machines
that is also very impressive. a 3h40min live set recorded at home? I only skipped through it while breakfast, is there a lunchbreak somewhere in between? Do you take drugs when he lights are out?

you are legend.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:34 am

180 videos !!!

now that's some output. respect. really.

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:37 am

pepezabala wrote:180 videos !!!

now that's some output. respect. really.
you mean 470?
thanks a lot
lights out is mostly peeing drinking, once every 3-4 lights out there might be a joint, but way more cigarettes

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:58 am

compressors on every track and it works? when i add too many compressors my shit gets wack and its not near as big as your set. but i only have a lowly macbook aluminum (4gigs though.. still sucks... )

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:12 pm

i only use 9 tracks, all the other tracks are utilities (midi re routing, program changes, light show, rack sends, FOH sends)
so all in all it's only 8 compressors in sidechain mode (i could use a VCA for what i do, but there is none available in live so i have to use a compressor)

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:33 pm

re uploaded th eimage as imageshack deleted it

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:44 pm

Fun fun fun.

I'm watching your Halloween cast. Nice drum break at the Smeels Like bridge before it goes back to the chorus :D

Idea: You should upgrade to a wireless head cam; something close to between your eyes so we get as accurate first-person as possible.
And short of showing your dongle, include the bathroom/drinking/smoke breaks. That would be sweet. Total immersible experience.
ImageImage

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:19 am

i tried the head cam but it wasnt cool, mostly cause i don't look at what i'm doing 90% of the time so i was long shots of the wall while i was tweaking 4 knobs and a pedal (but not looking at them, looking at the screen to decide my next move or that kind of stuff)

what i really need is someone to operate the camera switch, then i could use a head cam that could be switched in when it's interesting and having one of the 4 other cams on when i look at something else than what i'm doing