Richard Dawkins dies

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Forge.

Richard Dawkins dies

Post by Forge. » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:13 am

d.reamonn

Re: Richard Dawkins dies

Post by d.reamonn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:26 pm

https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:40 pm

that looks really interesting actually.

You might like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Delusion- ... 1444727923

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:48 pm

What's interesting about TIA is that before it was published, atheists were prancing about saying that they would rip it apart as soon as it was released. However, once it was released, they all sort of just... well... vanished. Hmmmmmmmm.

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:47 pm

d.reamonn wrote:What's interesting about TIA is that before it was published, atheists were prancing about saying that they would rip it apart as soon as it was released. However, once it was released, they all sort of just... well... vanished. Hmmmmmmmm.
A quick look at reviews doesn't suggest it's full of rational debate. I imagine it slaughters Dawkins in the same way that Dawkins slaughtered religion. ie knock out blows in the eyes of people who already agree, utter nonsense to those on the other side of the argument.

Fancy summing up one of his better points, so I can see if it's worth my time?

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Forge. wrote:that looks really interesting actually.

You might like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Delusion- ... 1444727923
Check out the discussion connected to A. Gibson's negative review. Blimey some people need to get a life! 8O
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:22 pm

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:00 pm

andydes wrote:
d.reamonn wrote:What's interesting about TIA is that before it was published, atheists were prancing about saying that they would rip it apart as soon as it was released. However, once it was released, they all sort of just... well... vanished. Hmmmmmmmm.
A quick look at reviews doesn't suggest it's full of rational debate. I imagine it slaughters Dawkins in the same way that Dawkins slaughtered religion. ie knock out blows in the eyes of people who already agree, utter nonsense to those on the other side of the argument.

Fancy summing up one of his better points, so I can see if it's worth my time?
His approach is to look at what atheist superheroes such as Dawkins say and then methodically take it apart to show that, ultimately, the notion that they can somehow be considered champions of reason is ludicrous. Here's a short example of how he goes about doing this:

http://www.voxday.net/mart/AgainstNewAtheism.ppt

- eddiex

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Ooh, arguments in the form of charts. He'd go down a storm round these parts.

Cheers for that.

It's picking at arguments specifically made by those three then? None of the points there are ones favoured by me. Guess I'd have to get up to speed with the others first. Hmm.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:22 pm

andydes wrote:Ooh, arguments in the form of charts. He'd go down a storm round these parts.
:lol: agreed... using a Powerpoint presentation... very fancy!

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:29 pm

andydes wrote:Ooh, arguments in the form of charts. He'd go down a storm round these parts.

Cheers for that.

It's picking at arguments specifically made by those three then? None of the points there are ones favoured by me. Guess I'd have to get up to speed with the others first. Hmm.
You asked for a summary.

- eddiex

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 pm

d.reamonn wrote:

Cheers for that.

It's picking at arguments specifically made by those three then? None of the points there are ones favoured by me. Guess I'd have to get up to speed with the others first. Hmm..
You asked for a summary.
Yep. And I was sincere saying thanks for the info. I am up for books that would challenge my views. But I don't share all the views of the big famous atheists of the day. If the point of this book is to show they're full of crap, I might give it a miss.

However, the clue was in the title. Should have paid more attention.
Last edited by andydes on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:21 pm

andydes wrote:
d.reamonn wrote:

Cheers for that.

It's picking at arguments specifically made by those three then? None of the points there are ones favoured by me. Guess I'd have to get up to speed with the others first. Hmm..
You asked for a summary.
Yep. And I was sincere saying thanks for the info. I am up for books that would challenge my views. But I don't share all the views of the big famous atheists of the day. If the point of this book is to show they're full of crap, I might give it a miss.
That's fair. And no, if you're not interested seeing Dawkins get deep fisted, then this is not the book for you.

- eddiex

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Retarded graphs are retarded.
You can't simply claim you've solved the issue of whether war is caused by or exacerbated by religion by a graph. Absolutely stupid.

For instance Hitler and the nazis claimed religious reasons, including divine providence for their wars, yet at the same time were antagonistic towards established religions.
So where does the 50 million killed in WWII fit? The emperor of Japan was considered a living god, yet the generals behind Japans militarism didn't really take him into account so much.... it's not an easy question to answer. This is typical of every single war besides a few militant communist battles in recent history. People are mostly led to war on religious grounds, "our version of religion and culture is superior to the enemies, and threatened by their blasphemous ways!" type arguments.

This is IMO a red herring argument to begin with. Religion doesn't 'cause' war, but it sure the fuck motivates the masses to fight fiercely for their side, and helps generate the environment that allows war to flourish. That I don't think can be argued.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 pm

^ all too often, it's used as a crutch...
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.