your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Post Reply
eddiex
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:51 am
Location: portland oregon

your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by eddiex » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 pm

so i was discussing with a friend about overrated bands. his argument was, THE CLASH is the most overrated band of all time. i disagreed, and decided to make my own list. in no particular order. my top 10 most overrated bands are:
1-the eagles
2-the doors
3-the sex pistols
4-the police
5-nickleback
6-the ramones (although i love them)
7-the pixies (although i love them)
8-blink 182
9-wilco
10-flaming lips (without their live show, they are nothing) (yoshimi is awesome though)

i do like some of these bands, sometimes. but for the most part....
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by knotkranky » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:31 pm

Not liking the band and being overrated should be two different things.

What do you exactly mean by overrated?

I mean if a band is huge, great and has super simple music, are they are overrated too? Overrated can be good and bad?

I need some clarification before i play...

nathannn
Posts: 3310
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:38 am
Location: U.S.

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by nathannn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:35 pm

1. redhotchilipeppers
2. u2
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

eddiex
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:51 am
Location: portland oregon

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by eddiex » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:41 pm

a band that you feel is undeserved of their praise. like the ramones, i like them alright, but i have friends that will fight you if you say something bad about those guys, they are considered one of the greatest bands in history...i feel they are overrated a little.
along those lines.
taylor swift...is another perfect example. its like, she writes all of her own stuff, but does she deserve to be winning grammys over country music artists that have been in the business for decades?
just your own opinion. its free form
i agree not liking a band and a band being overrated are two different things.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by knotkranky » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:16 am

Ok then, my list based on undeserving fame and generally sucking. I did this in 2 minutes.

1. pearl jam
2. creed
3. red hot chilli lame asses
4. lady gaga (I feel nothing)
5. justin beaver
6. korn
7. kanye west
8. Any jam band like phish
9. boy-bands
10. screamo in general

Machinesworking
Posts: 11118
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:32 am

nathannn wrote:1. redhotchilipeppers
2. u2

+
3. Radiohead
4. Pearl Jam
5. Korn
6. The Who
7. NIN
8. The Pixies
9. Metallica
10. the Grateful Dead

It's too easy to pick bands that actually suck like Nickleback and Creed.
I would say these bands not because they suck, but because I've never thought them worthy of their hype, or are hailed as innovators when they're not.

aisling
Posts: 2640
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:58 am
Location: 50 miles north of SF

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by aisling » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:41 am

Machinesworking wrote:
10. the Grateful Dead

I would say these bands not because they suck, but because I've never thought them worthy of their hype, or are hailed as innovators when they're not.
I have no intention on debating or challenging your valid opinions. I always thought the GD were innovators in the live sound arena, propelling PA and monitoring development. I could be totally off base here though :oops:
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing


Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

stringtapper
Posts: 6273
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by stringtapper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:03 am

1. Paul Whiteman
2. Guy Lombardo
3. Rudy Valee
4. Maynard Ferguson
5. Benny Goodman
6. Tommy Dorsey
7. Glenn Miller
8. Woody Herman
9. Stan Kenton
10. Buddy Rich
Unsound Designer

Pitch Black
Posts: 6444
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:18 am
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Contact:

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:57 am

^^ Weeeeeeell.... looks like we've got a ourselves contrarian, boys...

nobody move

an nobody gets hurt...


:lol:

nathannn
Posts: 3310
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:38 am
Location: U.S.

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by nathannn » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:59 am

Machinesworking wrote:
nathannn wrote:1. redhotchilipeppers
2. u2

+
3. Radiohead
4. Pearl Jam
5. Korn
6. The Who
7. NIN
8. The Pixies
9. Metallica
10. the Grateful Dead

It's too easy to pick bands that actually suck like Nickleback and Creed.
I would say these bands not because they suck, but because I've never thought them worthy of their hype, or are hailed as innovators when they're not.
11. tool
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

stringtapper
Posts: 6273
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by stringtapper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:46 pm

Pitch Black wrote:^^ Weeeeeeell.... looks like we've got a ourselves contrarian, boys...

nobody move

an nobody gets hurt...


:lol:

:lol:

:P
Unsound Designer

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:00 pm

I disagree with some of choices above but I won’t get into it.

I just hope nobody starts an underrated band thread because then it’s going to turn into another episode of “lets impressive myself by tossing out obscure artist names”. :x

reeloy
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:25 pm
Location: berlin

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by reeloy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:06 pm

...what a crappy question.

...in this business you first gotta face the fact, you never can choose your fans...
...and you never judge without your taste involved...

some are in for the music...some only for the money....and some are just talking, never getting anywhere....

... this is all just stupid bashing....
make more music, guys.....

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by knotkranky » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:15 pm

^ You're right of course.

A much better and more constructive question would have been top-10 fave bands. Actually useful.

The "suck lists" in life are to be avoided. Too many. Though I understand the impulse to point at crap and laugh.

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by knotkranky » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:20 pm

This is my favorite shredding of a band that sucks so funny.

Creed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyzCL3JeqCI

Post Reply