your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Pitch Black

Re: your top 10 most overrated bands, all time.

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:21 pm

“We just combined the Apollonian and the Dionysian. The Dionysian side is the blues, and the Apollonian side is classical music. The proper artist combines Apollonian rigor and correctness with Dionysian frenzy, passion and excitement. You blend those two together, and you have the complete, whole artist.” - Ray Manzarek 1997

“The Doors were basically a roadhouse blues band with intellectual pretensions.” - Ray Manzarek 1991

Go figure...

(I like The Doors)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:23 pm

beats me wrote:Also The Doors discussion I think points out that some people just include bands who’s music they don’t like, regardless of bigger picture or impact. For them if they don’t like the music then by default they are overrated.
^ agreed
pulsoc wrote:When I saw The Doors in the post I also was a little surprised
and +1

i think we're confusing "over rated" with "played out" at this point. some bands are really good but after a couple of thousand listens over a couple of decades a song and/or band will loose it's umph! i've been noticing that with Credence Clearwater Revival lately... i don't feel as warm and fuzzy as i once did.

Steve Miller Band is over rated though.
just sayin.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:23 pm

beats me wrote:Also The Doors discussion I think points out that some people just include bands who’s music they don’t like, regardless of bigger picture or impact. For them if they don’t like the music then by default they are overrated.
now the eagles, those guys made my list due to personal distaste. :lol: i love don henley solo though.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:46 pm

"All anyone wants to see on stage is honesty, passion and competence. If you can do all of those three you'll be a superstar." - Jimmy Page (possibly slight paraphrasing)

A question: which of these qualities is perceived to be lacking in the acts that people hate?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:55 pm

^ i think that bands lose their honestly. when they do... those of us who started off impressed... end up loosing respect. then 2, 3, 4 albums later, when some mainstream swimming group of people have finally heard them on the radio they suddenly refuse to shut up about this band's new album which is completely devoid of the raw honesty that their original release once contained.

does that make sense?

here is an example that comes to mind;
Smashing Pumpkins. their first two albums Gish and Siamese Dream were really good IMO... but only certain people around me even knew who they were. they released the song Today and suddenly there is this wave of hard core Smashing Pumpkins fans who have no idea that it's their second album. all the albums afterward were too hit and miss for my taste but their popularity was growing... and IMO so was their over rated status.

it's like watching the ice cubes melt in a glass of whiskey.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:02 am

My comment about people listing bands just because they don’t like the music wasn’t aimed at anybody in particular. There’s some bands people listed that I disagree should be on the list but that’s possibly because I like their music and have a deeper connection with them. But I’m not going to argue about it or bullet point why I feel they should be removed from the list.

Then there is also the argument about selling out, either from the beginning or later in the band’s career. I’m not saying that never happens but most people don’t want to entertain the thought that maybe the band actually liked the direction it changed to which was perceived by some people as selling out. It’s like a band is only allowed to have influences in the beginning. After that they can’t alter course or be influenced by a sound that is currently popular.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:49 am

it's true.

we're being typical fans and/or haters... but that's just the way it works isn't it?
music and opinions are both subjective.

but as they say, haters gon hate.

i don't like Yaz. i think they suck.

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:05 am

So many good 80 pickings (cock rock/Hair metal), I am surprised non made the list yet....
Janes addiction (which I loved, dropped the ball after the ritual de....album)
N.W.A (yes I loved f*ck the police and "straight out of Compton like the next guy, but compared to Chuck D and PE, that shit was soft and fluff....of course PE fluffed out eventually as well)
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Traffic
The moody Blues
Wheezer
Shpongle (it is getting annoying already....and I was a fan for almost a decade)
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:14 am

:lol: sorry this thread got all "tangholed"
it was meant to be fun. :lol:
i am actually kind of surprised at how many DOORS fans there are, around here. and don't get me wrong, i like the DOORS. the END is a phenomenal song.
i guess like most things "music"..... whether a band is overrated or not, IS subjective. :oops:

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:32 am

eddiex wrote::lol: sorry this thread got all "tangholed"
i am actually kind of surprised at how many DOORS fans there are, around here. and don't get me wrong, i like the DOORS. the END is a phenomenal song.
i guess like most things "music"..... whether a band is overrated or not, IS subjective. :oops:
No insult intended.....It's no biggie, grow a pair and stand tall....the doors don't do it for you. To be honest, I have not consciously listened to a doors album in 20 years....Might not go there as far as "overrated" but definitely over exposed and over played in my musical world. The songs were great.....but I am not in the kind of head space Jim Morrison was. I guess I relate more to the mystical and mythological than the arrogant alcoholic, even if he did fight the power. :wink:
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:11 am

There's gotta be something worse than 'the doors' for you. Just pick something else and you'll prolly be ok.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:19 am

:D cheers aisling. nah, i still stand by what i said about the doors.
i've been trying (with not much success) to rethink the whole passionate argument thing around here.
from now on, i want my stuff to go like this:
POINT, COUNTER POINT, POINT, COUNTER POINT, AGREE TO DISAGREE
instead of the 10 page DONKEY FESTS i've been a part of recently.
Last edited by eddiex on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:21 am

knotkranky wrote:
There's gotta be something worse than 'the doors' for you. Just pick something else and you'll prolly be ok.
sorry knot....
and it's not like i hate the doors. besides, if i said some other band, it would probably piss somebody else off. :lol:
i'll stand by what i said.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:28 am

Have to agree about the Doors, good band, but there were plenty of other great bands at that time, The Moody Blues, Spirit etc. doing similar relevant music.
IMO the Doors had about 5 really good songs and a bunch of fluff. Creedence Clearwater Revival also were basically a pop band that people have elevated to rock god status...

Again, I think it's too easy to pick bands that you don't like or are truly bad, better to pick bands that you're perplexed that people are crazy about.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:34 am

eddiex wrote:so i was discussing with a friend about overrated bands. his argument was, THE CLASH is the most overrated band of all time. i disagreed, and decided to make my own list. in no particular order. my top 10 most overrated bands are:
1-the eagles
2-the doors
3-the sex pistols
4-the police
5-nickleback
6-the ramones (although i love them)
7-the pixies (although i love them)
8-blink 182
9-wilco
10-flaming lips (without their live show, they are nothing) (yoshimi is awesome though)

i do like some of these bands, sometimes. but for the most part....
but this sounds like it's totally from the perspective of someone who was probably not born or very young when a lot of them came out (me included!)

the context is really important

In 1976 the clash or the sex pistols would have blown you away, but not now. Of course not. Because people like them already blew people away in the 70s so that in the 4 decades since there have been so many since that pushed it way further

the doors - in the 60s they would have been awesome.... I mean, put them against the backdrop of the monkees or something

even the pixies.. at the time they were great

context, dude, CONTEXT! :lol: :wink: