i cant make music until I get a push.....

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
humnumb

Re: i cant make music until I get a push.....

Post by humnumb » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:57 pm

5meohd wrote:yeah, forget about the fact that lateral 16th note drum step-sequencing was a major figure in what many people consider the most creative dance music ever created.
Already got plenty of 16th note step sequencing. Don't need Push for that.
5meohd wrote:and forget about the fact that the real reason people like hardware synthesizers is because they don't have to pre-map knobs or use a mouse to control parameters.
You will need to save plugins in a rack before you can access them in Push and you will still need to pre-configure them anyway. You will still need to use a mouse for most of Live's control parameters since Push only controls a narrow subset of Live's features.
5meohd wrote:also, forget about the fact that isomorphic instruments are one of the neatest contemporary ideas for expressing melodic electronic instruments.
I already got plenty of isomorphic instruments. Don't need Push for that.

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 pm

I believe that was all aimed at the op getting on his soap box about real instruments vs pushing buttons.

But he apologized for all that, anyway.

Feel free to carry on the argument regardless in true forum style though.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:33 pm

reading, meh. typing is where it's at.

5meohd

Post by 5meohd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:31 am

well personally I have a few pieces of hardware that tackle some of what the push does too.

BUT! I've always felt comfortable and accomplished a LOT more just using native ableton effects, tools, and instruments... so, now that we have the simplified max drum machines... things just fell right into the vision I've desired for years.

and yes.. it was aimed at the OP criticizing people thrilled about the push. and yes, I understand there was some humor to it. I'm just very thrilled and also upset about the extended wait (or is it?) and the fact that ableton won't even take phone calls.

oh well. they didn't actually charge those of us who pre-ordered (yet), but then, if the money isnt there and they try to pull it.. that would suck.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:56 am

5meohd wrote:yeah, forget about the fact that lateral 16th note drum step-sequencing was a major figure in what many people consider the most creative dance music ever created.
Modern sequences just don't have the necessary timing resolution to accurately reproduce the subtle random tempo variations of those early machines.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm sorry... but these controllers are not instruments. Instruments stay the same over time. Controllers just control a daw, that has upgrades and change over time. I'm not saying they are not helpful, inspiring or useful to the art of music making, just don't make them more than what they are.

PS introducing another step sequencer is not all that revolutionary.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:31 pm

bartend7 wrote:I'm sorry... but these controllers are not instruments. Instruments stay the same over time. Controllers just control a daw, that has upgrades and change over time. I'm not saying they are not helpful, inspiring or useful to the art of music making, just don't make them more than what they are.

this is such a limiting way to view the world. You're suggesting that because it is flexible, it doesnt qualify as an instrument? So a guitar is not an instrument, because people have improved or changed it over the years? Absurd.

DarkButterfly

Post by DarkButterfly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:41 pm

bartend7 wrote:I'm sorry... but these controllers are not instruments. Instruments stay the same over time. Controllers just control a daw, that has upgrades and change over time. I'm not saying they are not helpful, inspiring or useful to the art of music making, just don't make them more than what they are.

sorry I don't follow your logic.

going by your post my Akai MPK25 doesn't qualify as an instrument because it doesn't make any sound of its own, IMO as far as I'm concerned I still have to play it like a piano/keyboard, the only variable is its sound, which is controlled by software in the DAW.

Therefor its still an instrument just not as conventional.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:49 pm

^ yeah... it seems like the water/comparison is a little muddy on this one...

the only difference between the MPK25 and a Korg Triton when looked at with this objective in mind is that the Korg has the samples and brains built in while the MPK25 connects to them via USB.

how flexible they are once they have accessed their "brains" in either format is horses for courses, but the USB route includes the additional functionality of mixing, mastering, multiple inputs and a suite of features and add-ons while the Triton stops at beats and arrangement...

this seems more like an analog vs digital type argument.

5meohd

Post by 5meohd » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:49 pm

got mine an hour ago. its super fun and inspiring.

thank you ableton.

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:05 pm

your right your mpk is not an instrument. even though you can do alot of musical things with it. its just a toy bro. you don't need it, to make the music, it just helps. everything you can do on your mpk you can do on your computer keyboard. Look guys, i like electronic methods of making music, so i'm not pissing on your plastic toys. I just wish people wouldnt make them out to be more than they are.

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:35 am

I wasn't sure whether to post this in this topic or the Jordan Rudess thread but maybe this will shed some light on whether Push is an instrument or not. I received this email yesterday fro Mac Pro Video:

"If you've been an MPV member for a while, you know how much we love Dream Theater's Jordan Rudess. Not only is he a rock star of epic proportions, but he's also an amazing teacher. If you want to learn how to play Ableton's Push like a true Rock Star, you need to check out our new Push title by Jordan!"

If Jordan Rudess is demonstrating it, it MUST be a proper instrument! :P :lol:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:59 am

:lol:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:51 pm

Well I can't see how you can make music with Push, it seems pretty limited and half baked to me.

And yes I do have one although it may be going on eBay soon.