Trap Music

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Forge.

Re: Trap Music

Post by Forge. » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:16 pm

ian_halsall wrote:this is one of my all time favorite (if not the) tracks of all time - genius

Love Corporation "Give me Some Love" (Weatherall Mix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d52AA0vjPDQ
was at music box manchester or sankeys I think, in the Dj room, my mate said "so what time's weatherall on?" and the reply came "ask him yourself, he's sitting right next to you"

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Forge. wrote:
lowshelf wrote:Babylon Zoo/X-Ray Eyes!
LOLLLL! :lol:
replied before I listend... thought you meant the original! :lol:

storming mix

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Forge. wrote:out of interest, how old is everyone here?

not being funny, just wondering
37 and I like (some) Trap. Is there some sort of 12-step program I could look into?!?
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:34 pm

docprosper wrote:
Forge. wrote:out of interest, how old is everyone here?

not being funny, just wondering
37 and I like (some) Trap. Is there some sort of 12-step program I could look into?!?
honestly, I'm not slating it at all.. I literally clicked on one link and didn't even realise it was a real genre... total ignorance on my part, I know nuuthing

but I've been enjoying this nostalgia and am seriously making myself think I've been a total dickhead to not seek out some drum and bass nights... what a fucking amazing genre that was (is?)

just spinning out that its literally about 20 years old... I mean.. I actually remember my dad telling me it was "20 years ago today" about Sgt. Peppers which was recorded in 1967, so that was 1987.... so it feels really weird to be talking abotu drum n bass as 20 years ago today......

I just watched the back to the future trilogy with my 11 year old son and it caused me physical pain to realise that the future they travelled to was only 2 years away from now. No flying cars or hoverboards or cafe 80s and extendable baseball bats for us though... just miserable bastards on the ableton forum whining on about the good old days of drum and bass and weird shit like Aphex twin.....

I mean, 30 years in his past Marty McFly's dad hadn't even discovered acid yet, and that wasn't even vaguely weird compared to our shit.... we is the fully fucked up generation...

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:20 pm

ian_halsall wrote:Fellas - you sound like my Dad when he was saying that the music I was listening to (in fact all "pop" music including the Beatles) was rubbish and that Al Jolson and Bing Crosby were proper music.

You may not like Trap Music but clearly some/quite a lot of people do.
I agree. At 35 I've reached the point where I can't claim to be down with the kids anymore.

3 or 4 years ago, I could just about hold on to it. Now I'm turning into the creepy old fucker hanging around at the edge of a dance floor full of 20 year olds.

:x

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:15 pm

I find myself often listening to music that predates my birth. So I’m not just “today’s music is shit!” I’m also sometimes “The music I once thought was cool is also shit!”. I rarely revisit the music I thought was great in my late teens to mid 20’s. A lot of it just sounds plain silly. I may get nostalgic listening to it but I don’t think it’s the greatest time period in music history.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Forge. wrote:
ian_halsall wrote:this is one of my all time favorite (if not the) tracks of all time - genius

Love Corporation "Give me Some Love" (Weatherall Mix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d52AA0vjPDQ
was at music box manchester or sankeys I think, in the Dj room, my mate said "so what time's weatherall on?" and the reply came "ask him yourself, he's sitting right next to you"
haha - I recorded on his Sabres label and even did some programming on a (never released) Gary Clail remix he did.

You can work out how old(very) I am from that.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 am

docprosper wrote:The same goes for Trap - you can deride it across the board based on preconceptions or dig for the gems, the choice is really yours.
Gems can be found in almost any genre.
docprosper wrote:The old guard will continue to complain about the proliferation of the tools of the trade but the smarter approach would be to emrace a society that produces more music, whether that music is engineered well or not.
In the end, this is true. People making music is a good thing, especially for those making it.

With this proliferation of music we need good curators & DJs now more than ever!

pablorotter

Post by pablorotter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:00 am

andydes wrote:
ian_halsall wrote:Fellas - you sound like my Dad when he was saying that the music I was listening to (in fact all "pop" music including the Beatles) was rubbish and that Al Jolson and Bing Crosby were proper music.

You may not like Trap Music but clearly some/quite a lot of people do.
I agree. At 35 I've reached the point where I can't claim to be down with the kids anymore.

3 or 4 years ago, I could just about hold on to it. Now I'm turning into the creepy old fucker hanging around at the edge of a dance floor full of 20 year olds.

Its no loss being down with trap music. I'm glad I don't live in an environment where my clients sell crack and rap about crack. If you like the beats in the style most producers prominent in any hip hop style put out sample packs, search and download.

As a genre its got its thing. As a way of life its death.

I'm sure the OP and all are aware, Trap Music came out of rappers who used to hustle crack, crack houses being called trap houses.

I can respect their hustle to get out of the hood, but you should understand everything about a genre before you start producing in that style, IMHO.

I picked your reply at random, btw, I too can't relate too the kids, I tap into my friends in their 20s to guage whats going on.
Last edited by pablorotter on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

footsy

Post by footsy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:24 pm

This thread is still going?

Get over it, swagsters love their PBR, Mustaches, lensless glasses, Red flannel shirts, and gaged earlobs, and rap music but wanted to be different and call it Trap instead.
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Is this the new genre of music where white suburban kids pretend to be black?

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:29 pm

pablorotter wrote: I'm sure the OP and all are aware, Trap Music came out of rappers who used to hustle crack, crack houses being called trap houses.

I can respect their hustle to get out of the hood, but you should understand everything about a genre before you start producing in that style, IMHO.
Yes but the genre has evolved into something else.

Guess I need to shave my moustache and stop drinking PBR too now.

pablorotter

Post by pablorotter » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:27 am

pulsoc wrote:
pablorotter wrote:
As a genre its got its thing
Yes but the genre has evolved into something else.

Guess I need to shave my moustache and stop drinking PBR too now.
This is the essence of what I meant. The beats are great. I just think its good to have a little understanding of thcultural
background of production styles, especially when they are far removed from your own. (speaking as a white boy,
and yes growing up in the 80s/90s I wanted to be black. Didn't wear baggy pants but everything cool about culture i saw came from black people: i.e. the jazz bands I played in, hip hop, reggae, weed) I guess my mom played too much of that baroque music. I constantly request "mo dat max roach"

lol. I meant all my comments lightly. Keep drinking your PBR bro!