Trap Music

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
footsy

Re: Trap Music

Post by footsy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:35 am

Donnie wrote:That's probably the first Deadmau5 interview ive watched that didn't make me want to punch him in the face. Thanks for the link.
I felt the exact same way about him, then I saw that and now I have massive amounts of respect for him... That and when he was on Joe Rogan Experience and he really opened up in that.
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

Sage

Post by Sage » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:46 pm

footsy wrote:
pulsoc wrote:
Mint Invader wrote: I think there's probably a lot of garbage in all genres.
Oh yeah, there is garbage all over the place.

Deadmau5 really explains my same exact thoughts in why "He hates" and I hate dubstep/Trap and all these other new genres. bad producers with their non - Audio Egineering, Design, and other aspects of quality in music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH_5Ug2iOLU

Skip to the 4:12 if you want to hear his take on it, it's very true.
Not a single word of that is true!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvFaYBEDVII

I hate Dubstep because of stupid Americans.

footsy

Post by footsy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:08 pm

Lol glad to see you have a great sense of musical taste.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:19 am

Tarekith wrote:That was a great DeadMou5 interview, thanks.
Even the last line, where he says that, when he started, he focused on what was lacking (sound sculpting, audio engineering) in dance music? Pretty pompous, no?!?
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:56 pm

footsy wrote:
pulsoc wrote:
Mint Invader wrote: I think there's probably a lot of garbage in all genres.
Oh yeah, there is garbage all over the place.

Deadmau5 really explains my same exact thoughts in why "He hates" and I hate dubstep/Trap and all these other new genres. bad producers with their non - Audio Egineering, Design, and other aspects of quality in music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH_5Ug2iOLU

Skip to the 4:12 if you want to hear his take on it, it's very true.
I don't think you can logically bridge the gap between the opinion of Deadmau5 - who is 90% gimmick anyway - on Dubstep to form a reasonable conclusion on Trap; your choice of a spokesperson IMO makes the arguement invalid. What's next, Tiesto pontificating on Juke? That would only make me like it more :P

The sign of the times is that production tools - ie. software - have decreased in price to the point that the common man (myself included) can afford to attempt the creation of electronica without it being necessarily a career choice; this coupled with media tools such as Soundcloud is a recipe for an increase in the amount of "crap music" available across all genres. Deadmau5 is just the cream that floated to the top of his own cesspool of a musical genre. His comments about Dubstep border on absurd for those of us who have the fortune of knowing the more quality of the genre - think Bassnectar, Burial, etc, which is certainly engineered as well if not better than the average Deadmau5 tune. The same goes for Trap - you can deride it across the board based on preconceptions or dig for the gems, the choice is really yours.

The old guard will continue to complain about the proliferation of the tools of the trade but the smarter approach would be to emrace a society that produces more music, whether that music is engineered well or not. Trap reminds me a lot of Juke, Bmore, Baile Funk, etc., other genres that have a rougher "street" sound and sometimes sound best when under-engineered, sort of with the old rap mixtape flavor.
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:14 pm

docprosper wrote:
Tarekith wrote:That was a great DeadMou5 interview, thanks.
Even the last line, where he says that, when he started, he focused on what was lacking (sound sculpting, audio engineering) in dance music? Pretty pompous, no?!?
Perhaps he only listened to shit dance music, and missed everything done before him that was actually pretty good.

bastien

Post by bastien » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:44 pm

andydes wrote:Perhaps he only listened to shit dance music, and missed everything done before him that was actually pretty good.
I'd go further and say that, by 2005, dance music was pretty much nothing but sound sculpting and audio engineering... Everything was micro-edited and spectrum analysed half to death by that stage.

I think grime & dubstep's great contribution was stripping things right back, then injecting some balls.

footsy

Post by footsy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:28 pm

andydes wrote: Perhaps he only listened to shit dance music, and missed everything done before him that was actually pretty good.
... Yeah, I just started to listening to dance music last night. Have you guys heard of the band called dubstep. :roll:

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:06 pm

footsy wrote:
andydes wrote:Have you guys heard of the band called dubstep.
:lol: They sounded a bit like my fave duo, Drum & Bass. Heard Bass has gone solo now.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:07 pm

Fellas - you sound like my Dad when he was saying that the music I was listening to (in fact all "pop" music including the Beatles) was rubbish and that Al Jolson and Bing Crosby were proper music.

You may not like Trap Music but clearly some/quite a lot of people do.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:20 pm

ian_halsall wrote:Fellas - you sound like my Dad when he was saying that the music I was listening to (in fact all "pop" music including the Beatles) was rubbish and that Al Jolson and Bing Crosby were proper music.
Problem with that is Tin Pan Alley crooners like Al and Bing were most definitely the "pop" music of their time.

Irving Berlin tune ? Bach fugue
Unsound Designer

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:22 pm

that's my point in a way - music just moves on - you can't control it - each generation seems to say that the previous was rubbish and what's happening now is better while the previous generation says that what they liked was proper.

And the thing with Bach and Beethoven is that history has selected them out in a form of musical Darwinism as the best - remember there are only maybe 20 great Classical composers from the past 250 years.

And although Irving Berlin is not Bach - perhaps Lennon and McCartney are Schubert.

I am sure there will be great things from the age of Irving Berlin which will get discovered in 200 years time which will be comparable to Bach.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:46 pm

ian_halsall wrote:that's my point in a way - music just moves on - you can't control it - each generation seems to say that the previous was rubbish and what's happening now is better while the previous generation says that what they liked was proper.
that's actually just called getting older

I feel like a total miserable old cunt and I'm only 37

shit was just way cooler when it was your times

no matter when your times were

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:50 pm

actually, fuck it, we might as well all just give up

we will never be as good as queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ARuoS ... xXY6Hnwyvv

I think mythbusters might actually at one point prove that it's not physically possibly to come up with a better riff than that one in bohemian rhapsody

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:04 pm

why not just listen to some of this Trap stuff?

I hate Mythbusters - pseudo science for kids.

A generation will be brought up believing that science involves smashing stuff to pieces by bald dudes with beards and ample breasted assistants.

Or trying to walk across a leather bridge in a space suit made out of newspaper.