Is the APC40 good for producing?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Eidrian123

Is the APC40 good for producing?

Post by Eidrian123 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:57 am

So im starting into music production, chillwave/glo-fi, and i want some advice. I want to get the APC40 but dont know if it will be a good investment, I use ableton and It is supposed to work great with it, but can I produce in studio with it? or it is just for live performance? pleasee help :!:

Styles Bitchly

Re: Is the APC40 good for producing?

Post by Styles Bitchly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:27 am

Eidrian123 wrote:So im starting into music production, chillwave/glo-fi, and i want some advice. I want to get the APC40 but dont know if it will be a good investment, I use ableton and It is supposed to work great with it, but can I produce in studio with it? or it is just for live performance? pleasee help :!:
What is chillwave? And "glo-fi"? Is someone creating more friggin genres again? :o

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 pm

Yes, it's very useful for production.

Even if you got rid of the clip launch buttons you have transport control plus a full mixer surface that controls track arm/solo/mute, level, pan and sends. You also get eight knobs that automatically map to the currently selected device, this is super useful with racks but works with all devices, including third party plugins.

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:
What is chillwave? And "glo-fi"? Is someone creating more friggin genres again? :o
No, they're "producing" them. Run along and play your instruments.

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Bagatell wrote:
Styles Bitchly wrote:
No, they're "producing" them. Run along and play your instruments.
I'll do no such thing. I have a moral responsibility to stem the torrential cascade of rubbish genres being manufactured by simpletons, DJ's, and all of that sort of riff-raff so that the populace doesn't lose sight of the Real Meaningful music.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:46 pm

Personally I haven't really found it to be useful. I know that in includes faders but since they're not flying faders it's only useful if you're stuck with 8 tracks. It's only used for my when I'm playing live I never use it for producing.

Eidrian123

Post by Eidrian123 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks a lot everyone for the help, I think Ill buy it because the knobs are kind of a big deal to me, I think ill use them a lot because this genre is based in lots of effects and the knobs make it more easy to control them while recording.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote: I dont get why you are stuck with 8 tracks, it has bank shifting
The faders wouldn't move while you shifted between tracks. The knobs are completely fine since they're endless rotating.