geeks and girls...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
d.reamonn

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:43 pm

We would have infinitely better music today if exactly 50% of it—not 49.9%, not 50.1%, but exactly 50% of it—were made by girls. Anyone who says otherwise is a sexist pig, devoid of any human rights, and (most importantly) is a virgin.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Actually, if you want parity, about 49% would be good.

Slightly more girl children get born than boys, but due to some factors those awful feminists keep going on about (female infanticide etc etc) this weeds out the unfortunate ones, so that the ratio at music production age is about 51/49.

Personally I would wish the sex ratio in the sector to be about 33/67 male to female. Conventions, fairs and workshops would be way more fun.

Post by re:dream » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:12 pm

artpunk wrote:Image

she's made some fabulous music in her time.

Post by re:dream » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:15 pm

one of my personal faves

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:16 pm

The Finn wrote:Personally I would wish the sex ratio in the sector to be about 33/67 male to female. Conventions, fairs and workshops would be way more fun.
Indeed, like you, the only reason I got into music in the first place was to get laid. However, now that I'm at the stage where people like Suburban Thug "like" my music, it still hasn't happened for me (I'm a 37 year old virgin). My only hope is for the Swiss government to implement a natural dose of positive discrimination and force women to be talented.

We're fortunate that in our enlightened stage of civilisation, reality is subservient to legislation.

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

Post by re:dream » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:37 pm

If women were more talented, you would get laid. It makes sense. Yes. It does.

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:49 pm

The Finn wrote:If women were more talented, you would get laid. It makes sense. Yes. It does.
Well I did try humour once, but apparently it was too subtle for them.

- eddiex

Post by re:dream » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:14 pm

"Them". I usually just go for one at a time

My first post-divorce girlfriend (those were the days 8) ) was actually the woman who got me started on making electronic music.

She was a Pro-Tools whizz kid & Cubase maven & owned two (2) soldering irons & was (and is) way more talented than me. Shit hot keyboardist, chamber music clarinetist, and knew her way around the insides of a music studio. I learned more from her about trance, house and d&b as musical forms than from years of hanging around on internet forums.

She never did anything with it. She now runs a business making children's clothes and prefab tipi's.

8O

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:20 pm

The Finn wrote:"Them". I usually just go for one at a time

My first post-divorce girlfriend (those were the days 8) ) was actually the woman who got me started on making electronic music.

She was a Pro-Tools whizz kid & Cubase maven & owned two (2) soldering irons & was (and is) way more talented than me. Shit hot keyboardist, chamber music clarinetist, and knew her way around the insides of a music studio. I learned more from her about trance, house and d&b as musical forms than from years of hanging around on internet forums.

She never did anything with it. She now runs a business making children's clothes and prefab tipi's.

8O
Well I believe you just answered your own question there:

Q. Is the international order of knob tweakers really as exclusively male as it appears? And if so, why?
A. Yes, because women prefer to make children's clothes.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Children need clothes probably more than I need ambient bleepy sounds. Probably.

:x

- eddiex

Post by re:dream » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Thing is, the woman had talent to burn. I can't but help feeling it's a waste :(

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:08 pm

The Finn wrote:Thing is, the woman had talent to burn. I can't but help feeling it's a waste :(
That's the problem with most contemporary social critics. They confuse "can" with "ought".

- eddiex

Post by re:dream » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:52 pm

... and you believe they, um, 'ought' not to?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Call a man a twat on a forum and at worst you’ll get an insult fired back at you.

Call a woman a twat on a forum and it’s about sensitivity training, therapy, possible suicide with international news coverage, and Congressional legislation.

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:27 pm

The Finn wrote:... and you believe they, um, 'ought' not to?
Not my call. People should do as they please. And if your ex would rather run a business than twiddle knobs, then you should respect her decision, rather than be all like "derp, you should like derp do other shit cause feminism and derp".

Maybe there aren't more women musicians, because women simply have better things to do. No, spank me spank me, it's because we iz sexiss.

Derp.

- eddiex

steko

Post by steko » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:59 pm

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6