geeks and girls...

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 pm

steko wrote:http://sonicbloom.net/en/why-not-more-w ... ld-change/

"Let’s just assume that anyone could be good in any field he or she chooses and encourage this. [...] What are your thoughts on the subject? Do you agree? Think I’m totally off with my theory?"
I agree entirely. For example, I think we should have 50/50 participation in the World Cup, because women, if encouraged, could be just as skilful and resilient as men on the pitch. Genetics be damned, if need be we can legislate our DNA to be more equal.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

re:dream
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:52 am

making the same point over and over again - check

misrepresenting the arguments of people you disagree with and then ridiculing them - check

Dr Eamonn, you are boring me.

re:dream
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:01 am

d.reamonn wrote: People should do as they please. And if your ex would rather run a business than twiddle knobs, then you should respect her decision

i do.


rather than be all like "derp, you should like derp do other shit cause feminism and derp".
That's not the reason for my regret. I feel sad about it because I know she had some amazing music to make, which I would have liked to hear.

And this particular person really wanted to make music. At one time in her life she was training to be a professional musician. Now's she's smoking weed and selling tipi's, but she is still talking about 'one day' when she gets back to her music.

I don't think the reason is sexism. Don't get me wrong, the music industry in SA is as sexist as anything, and I used to find it richly amusing watching her get patronized by some dork who had 20% of her experience and talent, and then watching her gently put him in his place.

And I still wonder why and how this differentiation takes place. I do know that it's got absolutely nothing to do with talent. Maybe it's got more to do with the way in which making electronic music often appears to be a very left brain, logical kind of activity, which is the kind of thing boys (1) are encouraged to do (2) may indeed have more aptitude for. I say 'appears' to be, not is, because when you get down to it making music is all about the right brain.

krulecello
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Mallacoota
Contact:

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by krulecello » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:29 am

Neuroscience is a very interesting topic....

http://gender.stanford.edu/news/2011/is ... y-inferior
http://www.theunconventionalcellist.com

Cellist - Composer - Live Looper

d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by d.reamonn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:23 am

The Finn wrote: That's not the reason for my regret. I feel sad about it because I know she had some amazing music to make, which I would have liked to hear.

And this particular person really wanted to make music. At one time in her life she was training to be a professional musician. Now's she's smoking weed and selling tipi's, but she is still talking about 'one day' when she gets back to her music.

I don't think the reason is sexism. Don't get me wrong, the music industry in SA is as sexist as anything, and I used to find it richly amusing watching her get patronized by some dork who had 20% of her experience and talent, and then watching her gently put him in his place.

And I still wonder why and how this differentiation takes place. I do know that it's got absolutely nothing to do with talent. Maybe it's got more to do with the way in which making electronic music often appears to be a very left brain, logical kind of activity, which is the kind of thing boys (1) are encouraged to do (2) may indeed have more aptitude for. I say 'appears' to be, not is, because when you get down to it making music is all about the right brain.
Well sorry if I got a little ahead of you there. I simply assumed that in the context of a "why aren't there more women musicians?" thread, your implied "ought to" in regards to your ex would have had something to do with the subject matter, and not just serve as a nostalgic aside. You see, I got a little confused there, because you're all over the place. One minute, you're regretting that a person you know has stopped making music, then next your concerned with differentiation.

As a another completely unrelated aside, I'd like to mention that hip-hop only became so popular in the 80s and 90s because the US government provided fiscal incentives for black youths to "bust a groove". One of those youths then went on to become president. If we had done the same for the Wymenz Dubstep Underground, it would be Hilary and not Barry sitting the White House today.

Or is that as F.inn retarded as it sounds :x
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

artpunk
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:51 am
Location: The Antipodes
Contact:

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by artpunk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:29 am

making the same point over and over again - check

misrepresenting the arguments of people you disagree with and then ridiculing them - check

Dr Eamonn, you are boring me.

Oh but he is such a clever boy, so clever with his words.

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by d.reamonn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:33 am

artpunk wrote:making the same point over and over again - check

misrepresenting the arguments of people you disagree with and then ridiculing them - check

Dr Eamonn, you are boring me.

Oh but he is such a clever boy, so clever with his words.
Holding someone to either mean what they say or admit that they are trolling is not particularly clever. It is merely not subhuman. artpunk, in stark contrast, has trouble understanding phpBB's quote function.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

artpunk
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:51 am
Location: The Antipodes
Contact:

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by artpunk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:37 am

d.reamonn wrote:
artpunk wrote:making the same point over and over again - check

misrepresenting the arguments of people you disagree with and then ridiculing them - check

Dr Eamonn, you are boring me.

Oh but he is such a clever boy, so clever with his words.
Holding someone to either mean what they say or admit that they are trolling is not particularly clever. It is merely not subhuman. artpunk, in stark contrast, has trouble understanding phpBB's quote function.
oh..but I'm not a clever boy like you, I wouldn't possibly know how to use the quote button on every post. That takes someone really clever. You clever boy! :D

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by d.reamonn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:43 am

artpunk wrote:oh..but I'm not a clever boy like you, I wouldn't possibly know how to use the quote button on every post. That takes someone really clever. You clever boy! :D
Indeed, many people wouldn't expect the exact same behaviour from the exact same button every time. Computers never work like they are intended to anyway. I'm going to try to make some coffee later, but I don't have high hopes for that either. Perhaps if I leave that cute electric cable thingy unplugged from the wall, it might taste more Italian.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

artpunk
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:51 am
Location: The Antipodes
Contact:

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by artpunk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:48 am

Indeed, many people wouldn't expect the exact same behaviour from the exact same button every time. Computers never work like they are intended to anyway. I'm going to try to make some coffee later, but I don't have high hopes for that either. Perhaps if I leave that cute electric cable thingy unplugged from the wall, it might taste more Italian

...really? Is Italian coffee normally cold? I honestly didn't know that! Oops, forgot to use that pesky quote-thang again! Silly me. I wish I was as clever as you d.reammon.

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by d.reamonn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:48 am

The PC guide to debating in 2013:

Step ONE.
Say something retarded.

Step TWO.
If you are challenged, change what you said to make it seem like you were right all along.

Step THREE.
If called out on your dishonesty, mention your "feelings" or "empathy".

Step FOUR.
If then mocked for being a little bitch, deploy shaming tactics against your mean, sociopathic aggressors' superior intellect.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

artpunk
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:51 am
Location: The Antipodes
Contact:

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by artpunk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:53 am

d.reamonn wrote:The PC guide to debating in 2013:

Step ONE.
Say something retarded.

Step TWO.
If you are challenged, change what you said to make it seem like you were right all along.

Step THREE.
If called out on your dishonesty, mention your "feelings" or "empathy".

Step FOUR.
If then mocked for being a little bitch, deploy shaming tactics against your mean, sociopathic aggressors' superior intellect.
Isn't he clever boys and girls? I think we could all learn from d.reammon's exemplary forum debating skills. Compared to everyone else he is just so clever. I bet he's a really nice person if you met him in real life, as well as being the most clever boy you will be likely to meet, ever. If I wore a hat it would be off to you, d.reammon. Clever, clever boy.

:D

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by d.reamonn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:00 am

artpunk wrote:Isn't he clever boys and girls? I think we could all learn from d.reammon's exemplary forum debating skills. Compared to everyone else he is just so clever. I bet he's a really nice person if you met him in real life, as well as being the most clever boy you will be likely to meet, ever. If I wore a hat it would be off to you, d.reammon. Clever, clever boy.

:D
^ step four, perfectly illustrated.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

d.reamonn
Posts: 1176
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by d.reamonn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:05 am

krulecello wrote:Neuroscience is a very interesting topic....

http://gender.stanford.edu/news/2011/is ... y-inferior
I would like to see what Josef Parvizi's (male/scientist) actual studies show, rather than what Susan Fisk (female/sociologist) has to say about them.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

Ableton_David
Posts: 1766
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:31 pm
Location: Ableton
Contact:

Re: geeks and girls...

Post by Ableton_David » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:29 am

I'm locking this topic - sexist opinions are unwelcome on this forum, and there's too many of them here. If you haven't reviewed the community guidelines lately, please see them here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=155041

Locked