You can only rent Adobe software going forward

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Forge.

Re: You can only rent Adobe software going forward

Post by Forge. » Wed May 08, 2013 8:05 am

I saw this earlier, and someone saying how you can't own it any more, the first thought that crossed my mind was that you don't own software, just a license to use it.

crofter

Post by crofter » Thu May 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

8O

Post by 8O » Thu May 09, 2013 5:55 pm

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Thu May 09, 2013 7:40 pm

My pet hated phrase... increase productivity. We are constantly being harassed by the powers that be (goverment, employer groups) to 'increase productivity' so we can (another hated phrase) 'remain competitive'. These phrases are particularly pertinent to the topic at hand: that is, moving to 'the cloud' as a more efficient way of managing data etc!!!!! (actually a more efficient way for software companies to reduce costs and thus 'increase productivity' !) :x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu May 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Yes, and how funny it coincides with entrusting our personal "belongings" to someone else, a company, in this day and age.
So when they fail, we're screwed. When will we have to pay to move our living room to a storage area and spend time in it on a subscription basis?
ImageImage

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Thu May 09, 2013 8:23 pm

nathannn wrote:Adobe really have their head up their ass rather than the cloud, This reminds me of rent a center. This is just extreme greed.
There are so many reasons why this will fail and they will be forced to go back to licence ownership.
What if the updates are shit.. do you continue paying for crap that isnt being updated?
What if you dont have an internet connection, how can you use this?
Why would anyone do this when there are alternatives?
This is just going to make current users pissed to the point where they stop buying anything adobe and use something else. From there, other companies will pick up where adobe left off and actually sell the product to you instead of renting it.
The problem is, there are no alternatives. Really, Adobe has a virtual monopoly on the content creation software market which is why they can do a move like this. People simply have nowhere else to go since Adobe bought out all the competition.
Sure there are some cheap/free alternatives to Photoshop and probably some of the other apps, but in a professional environment you will have to use Adobe.
Don't get me wrong, I like Adobe's apps mostly and I earn my living with them, but the lack of competition in the marketplace is worrying, and now you can't "skip a version" anymore to save money, you'll have to keep paying even if the upgrades aren't worth it.
At least in 3d animation you have some competition with Autodesk, Maxon, Luxology... same in music making, there is no de facto industry standard (except maybe ProTools, but certainly most mature DAWs can compete with or surpass it on a technical level).

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Thu May 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Forge. wrote:I saw this earlier, and someone saying how you can't own it any more, the first thought that crossed my mind was that you don't own software, just a license to use it.
True, but now instead of owning a perpetual licence (which in practical user terms is close to "owning" a piece of software) for a particular version of the software, you only have subscription to the software that requires continuous payments in order to use it. So it's definitely a very different ballgame.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri May 10, 2013 9:33 pm

"I'm going to tweet my rage until my fingers bleed!"
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat May 11, 2013 12:10 am

shadx312 wrote:When will we have to pay to move our living room to a storage area and spend time in it on a subscription basis?
:lol:

live in the cloud!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat May 11, 2013 12:18 am

You know when you put it that way I would totally fit in with Lando's team sipping on .45's.
ImageImage

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat May 11, 2013 2:50 am

I use nearly every bit of software Adobe makes - on a daily basis. Lots of friends and associates do the same.

There's not a single one who doesn't think this move is fantastic.

If you're a design professional there's no question this is actually a COST REDUCTION.

If your a hobbyist just fucking around? Well, there's always Picasa.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat May 11, 2013 4:06 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:I use nearly every bit of software Adobe makes - on a daily basis. Lots of friends and associates do the same.

There's not a single one who doesn't think this move is fantastic.

If you're a design professional there's no question this is actually a COST REDUCTION.

If your a hobbyist just fucking around? Well, there's always Picasa.

I thought you HATED. THE. FUCKING. CLOUD.

:x

But yeah it's cheaper if you're actually using.
Unsound Designer

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat May 11, 2013 1:21 pm

I do hate the cloud, but remember: That's just what Adobe calls it...

You still have to download all the software to your machine. The only 'cloud' portion that's involved is if you choose to use their file hosting/sharing for collaboration and whatnot.

I do use box.net as a cloud service - quite a bit, actually. I can say with unequivocal certainty that all of those cloud services are by and large COMPLETE SHIT. There still is not a single large cloud service that will actually let you password protect folders or individual files.

Cloud services are still - at the basic level - little more than glorified FTP servers; with the exception that FTP gives you a buttload more flexibility.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Sun May 12, 2013 5:24 pm

And now Apple are joining in with a change from an 'ownership' model to a subscription one. Apple are about to change Applecare from a product owned by the purchaser (it was attached to the machine) to a subscription (it is attached to the person.

IMO, this negates one of the great side benefits to buying Applecare: it was great for when you want to sell an apple hardware product like a computer...if it has some applecare time left it makes your computer a good buy for a potential buyer. You could effectively sell it with a warranty.

This quote from Mac Rumours:

"The site also says Apple will be changing its AppleCare service -- which currently attaches to individual devices, requiring customers to buy a new AppleCare plan for each computer and iOS device they purchase -- into a subscription service that will attach to a particular customer instead of a product. Apple's One to One program works in a similar manner."