Random Access Memories

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: Random Access Memories

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:33 am

beats me wrote:Can anybody name more than maybe 2 or 3 older Daft Punk songs they think is musically brilliant without breaking into laughter? I think the departure of this new album is making some people think they were a lot more brilliant than they actually were. I think nostalgia is overwriting all logic.
no, but i can name 2 or 3 of the artists on We Are the World.

re8

Post by re8 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:21 am

Tarekith wrote:It's cool to see them go in a slightly different direction while still sounding like Daft Punk, not sure I like it more than their dancier stuff though.
If you consider StarDust as a DaftPunk spin-off, then they were Disco for over a decade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUC2b-OSZ00

It is very common for French DJs/Producers to dip into Disco: Cassius, etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_house

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:31 am

Komodovaran wrote: despite the general opinions being very split.

A bit like how people either love or loathe Skrillex, but in a less hostile manner. :x
Very split? More like 'meh'

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:47 am

beats me wrote:Can anybody name more than maybe 2 or 3 older Daft Punk songs they think is musically brilliant without breaking into laughter? I think the departure of this new album is making some people think they were a lot more brilliant than they actually were. I think nostalgia is overwriting all logic.
Musically brilliant?

Not sure I know how to define that. But I could name several I really like, that I've listened to many times and still enjoy now.

Does that count?

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:27 pm

I never really thought they were all that 'brilliant', but...Homework didn't suck. It didn't suck enough that I was able to listen to it over and over all the way through many times. RAM barely got a second playthrough. I think the proof is in the pudding. ;)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Musically brilliant?
Possibly Cola Bottle Baby- Edwin birdsong
Release the beast - Breakwater
Can you imagine - Little Anthony and the imperials

They put them on loop pretty well, oh and added a vocoder too of course to make it fully 100% modern genius.

Of course some people would say they are hacks with no actual talent of their own who got lucky with a public happy to digest 32 bar loops of old funk breaks run through a LPF, but that seems harsh. They have hose snazzy helmets too. They surely are worth something.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:13 pm

andydes wrote:
Musically brilliant?

Not sure I know how to define that. But I could name several I really like, that I've listened to many times and still enjoy now.

Does that count?

You just agreed with what I said. People who don’t like this album are talking like previous albums are filled with nothing but greatness from beginning to end. I think there are some solid tracks on this new album as well but they aren’t geared towards house heads.

Donnie wrote:I never really thought they were all that 'brilliant', but...Homework didn't suck. It didn't suck enough that I was able to listen to it over and over all the way through many times. RAM barely got a second playthrough. I think the proof is in the pudding. ;)

Nah, I think the proof is you like floor bangers (or that's what you expect from Daft Punk) and there aren’t any on this album. It’s a matter of expectation and taste.

My only real issue with the album is the vocoder abuse, and yes there is a difference between a vocoded “around the world” dropped 5 dozen times in a song and a song with full lyrics vocoded the entire time.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:39 pm

beats me wrote:Nah, I think the proof is you like floor bangers (or that's what you expect from Daft Punk) and there aren’t any on this album. It’s a matter of expectation and taste.
Nope, I don't really care about that shit to be completely honest. If I listen to an album, either I like it or not. On most new releases I don't even pay attention to artist names. RAM almost put me to sleep on my way to work, it was boring, and rarely did it give me an emotional tingle. I judge music based on how it makes me feel. It could have been all ambient and I would have been fine with it if it was good.

The only bias I had toward this album led to me giving it a second listen. If it wasn't Daft Punk I wouldn't have even bothered.
Last edited by Donnie on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Donnie wrote:
beats me wrote:Nah, I think the proof is you like floor bangers (or that's what you expect from Daft Punk) and there aren’t any on this album. It’s a matter of expectation and taste.
Nope, I don't really care about that shit to be completely honest. If I listen to an album, either I like it or not. On most new releases I don't even pay attention to artist names. RAM almost put me to sleep on my way to work, it was boring, and rarely did it give me an emotional tingle. I judge music based on how it makes me feel. It could have been all ambient and I would have been fine with it if it was good.

The only bias I had toward this album led to me giving it a second listen. If it wasn't Daft Punk I wouldn't have even bothered.

But do you like old school funk music?

For most of the album I agree I probably wouldn’t have given it a second listen if it wasn’t Daft Punk but there are some tracks that I do like that would probably get regular rotation from me if it wasn’t for the fact that I buy too much damn music and even great music gets forgotten about quickly.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:01 pm

beats me wrote: But do you like old school funk music?
It's okay, depending on who it is, but ill admit that I'm more into the preceding soul and r&b music (as well as the crossover period in-between).

RAM leans a little more disco/pop for my liking though...

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:16 pm

Donnie wrote:
beats me wrote: But do you like old school funk music?
It's okay, depending on who it is, but ill admit that I'm more into the preceding soul and r&b music (as well as the crossover period in-between).

RAM leans a little more disco/pop for my liking though...

I appreciate you saying it’s not your cup of tea and didn’t answer with “If I wanted to listen to old school funk I’d listen to……” as if a finite group of artists have a stranglehold on genre legitimacy.

I like old school funk a lot but I do make a distinction between funk and disco. In simplified terms ask the question “would black people dance to this?” If the answer is most likely “no” then it’s disco. Not a lot of Bee Gees, ABBA, Village People, or KC and the Sunshine Band being played at black wedding receptions. Just sayin’.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:20 pm

^ first to call you racist!! RACIST!!!

oh yeah! fist pump! 8)

Quiggers

Post by Quiggers » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:53 pm

I've been lazy and not read the last 2 pages of replies.

My take on the album is, I like it, it's different to the last album but daft punk have changed style on every record.
This album does seem to be a nod to tracks that inspired them. a dj kicks collection could have served this purpose but they decided to create it rather than pick it.

track 2, the game of love sounds like an updated zapp and rogers - computer love.

Georgio's intro to track 3 is too long, and rather pointless.

Within and Instant Crush are beautiful, makes the album worth buying on their own.

So it's not full of club smashers, yup Daft Punk have probably outgrown night clubs, better to age with your music rather than force the ever youthful shambles that some DJ's are pedaling,

My main gripe with this album is Pharrell, his lyrics are tosh and he's blatantly insisted on being louder than everything else.

To qualify my preference I'll share some guilty pleasures Cameo - Word Up, Kool & The Gang - Jungle Boogie, Wild Cherry - Play that funky music, Commodores - Brick House

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:51 pm

Quiggers wrote:To qualify my preference I'll share some guilty pleasures Cameo - Word Up, Kool & The Gang - Jungle Boogie, Wild Cherry - Play that funky music, Commodores - Brick House
Holy crap, the best funkiest twenty minutes you'll ever hear. Talk about tireless spins...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:03 am

Yeah I'd take the Undercover Brother soundtrack over this any day.

:x
Unsound Designer