Random Access Memories

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
knotkranky

Re: Random Access Memories

Post by knotkranky » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Too many old sounds. Too much staccato gtr work. Actually, all the gtr playing sounds "too" dated. Nothing fresh about it.

Retro is a dangerous thing. Most older dudes like myself won't like this record i bet. Moving on...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:32 am

They ought to have released this instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0NXaeoiEKs

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:45 pm

dank and delicious

Yup, they shoulda went there. High fidelity retro is an automatic stinker imho.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Angstrom wrote:They ought to have released this instead

Oh god no. It has this weird kind of tempo that makes it seem so... derpy. I couldn't listen to that for more than 10 seconds.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:16 pm

RAM = background music.

i think it's a good album to have on at a small party at home... not the kind of thing to drive around proudly blaring from the speakers of a convertible though... IMO...

...unless you're wearing a pink feather boa, in which case put on your gold aviators and crank it up!

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Komodovaran wrote:
Angstrom wrote:They ought to have released this instead

Oh god no. It has this weird kind of tempo that makes it seem so... derpy. I couldn't listen to that for more than 10 seconds.
Well, if he meant to over emphasize as a generality, it was to point out what RAM needs at least a bit of.

I think the age gap between all the posters are showing themselves. I think anybody over 40ish will not feel much from RAM.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:41 pm

You mean there's a whole new generation to whom bland, well-mannered indoor funk is a new and fresh experience?
The universe is indeed a beautiful place.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:48 pm

:lol:
ImageImage

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:31 pm

The Finn wrote:You mean there's a whole new generation to whom bland, well-mannered indoor funk is a new and fresh experience?
lol, well, not the whole lot, but enough for RAM sales. Maybe low hanging fruit is where its at for DP, or they calculated too much into standing out in the Emusic scene. DP should be risking the freshest vibe possible.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:11 pm

STOP THE MUSIC AND GO HOME. I REPEAT... STOP THE MUSIC AND GO HOME.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:18 pm

knotkranky wrote:
The Finn wrote:You mean there's a whole new generation to whom bland, well-mannered indoor funk is a new and fresh experience?
lol, well, not the whole lot, but enough for RAM sales. Maybe low hanging fruit is where its at for DP, or they calculated too much into standing out in the Emusic scene. DP should be risking the freshest vibe possible.
They tried something else, didn't blatantly sell out and the album is hugely popular, despite the general opinions being very split.

A bit like how people either love or loathe Skrillex, but in a less hostile manner. :x

Electric Blue Studios

Post by Electric Blue Studios » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:07 pm

H20nly wrote:RAM = background music.
i think it's a good album to have on at a small party at home...
the exact comment my wife and I made when it came on at a small rooftop party in Bushwick over the weekend. totally agree.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:05 am

I feel that every classic-sample act has this problem eventually, whether it's driven by publishing clearance and cost issues ("Hey, we got Daft Punk on da phone wantin rights to use our 1970's funk sample, so whaddawe wanna charge 'em?") , or artistic , or a combination of both.

Of the many artists who have had this we can see a variety of ways to solve it.

Alternative #1 The Beastie Boys (Check Your Head) saw them playing instruments themselves rather than using the 100 samples on the previous release, they brought out an album with a whole new sound.

Alternative #2 Massive Attack's Mezzanine saw them get new players into the band and work on a variety of new material before releasing a selection onto an album with a whole new sound.

Alternatively #3
you can go for the "We Are the World" approach. Hire some old old/famous dudes who you would like to sample but frankly its cheaper to give them hotels rooms, studio time and points for turning up. Now produce a polite pastiche album filled acceptably anodyne content and hammer the marketing, safe in the knowledge that people will just follow the marketing line.
Nobody has time to think for themselves these days.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:53 am

Komodovaran wrote:
knotkranky wrote:
They tried something else, didn't blatantly sell out and the album is hugely popular, despite the general opinions being very split.

A bit like how people either love or loathe Skrillex, but in a less hostile manner. :x
Oh yes, no doubt. I'm no music critic cuz I'm selfish as all fuck, 52 with 30 years in production. Becoming a speculative music asshole is mandatory.

ImageDid DP put this record out knowing they might alienate fans? Sure, they took a chance and all us musos love that. But the chance or risk that I appreciate in music is in the innovation. I simply don't hear any of that. The risk they chose was to release a very retro record, which has little to do with innovation. It's ballzy nonetheless and I can get behind that, but i'll spin their previous stuff no prob. If there is any ref of value to go by, it would be this forum's consensus. DP is going to judge the success of their album on their mentors and trusted appreciators. It most likely might be that those big-ear pals feel the same.

@Angstrom - yep, follow the money. Curious point about the few samples and that they may have bought into the rerecorded retro production a bit much in lue of. If that's true, I appreciate the record for its big balls effort.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:26 am

Can anybody name more than maybe 2 or 3 older Daft Punk songs they think is musically brilliant without breaking into laughter? I think the departure of this new album is making some people think they were a lot more brilliant than they actually were. I think nostalgia is overwriting all logic.