ever notice how older people are stuck in a certain decade..

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
regretfullySaid

Re: ever notice how older people are stuck in a certain decade..

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:59 am

Oh wow, just listening to the Amazon samples. These aren't covers, are they? The only thing that makes it sound like it isn't from the 60's is the production.
Yeah I could justify buying that :)
ImageImage

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:05 am

shadx312 wrote:Oh wow, just listening to the Amazon samples. These aren't covers, are they? The only thing that makes it sound like it isn't from the 60's is the production.
Yeah I could justify buying that :)
oh, if you've missed that whole thing, you're in for a treat

the making of video is super inspiring - they built the studio from the ground up with the intention of using all old analogue gear and the only piece of digital equipment is a CD player

their album recorded in 2011 could have been 1974...

Amy Winehouse recorded there too with the same backing band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wmdDYUFfMM

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:06 am

my fave http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds5rXZVy_dU

I found out they had just toured where I live 2 days after I was too late! :? :evil:

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:42 am

That's cool. Really it just makes me want to listen to from something back in the day, when funk/soul was new and fresh and some up and coming band that was just getting hot in some city had been doing a circuit and they're young and hungry and maybe on drugs because they're tired or whatever and they got offered 30 minutes to record in a studio so they had to lay something down so all that contributed to hearing fire on record.
ImageImage

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:58 pm

Sharon Jones and the Dapkings and the Daptone folks got it figured out fer sure.
Sounds so good on so many levels.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 pm

The Budos Band is one of my favorite things going these days.

Budos, New Mastersounds, and Grant Green's later funk/soul stuff has been on heavy rotation around my place.
Unsound Designer

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:Sharon Jones and the Dapkings and the Daptone folks got it figured out fer sure.
Sounds so good on so many levels.
Saw them ( Sharon Jones and the Dapkings ) when they played here a few months ago at a great open air venue just around the corner from where I live...wonderful!!! 8)

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:17 pm

beats me wrote:
earthloop wrote:@beats... I have just been listening to some of your tracks on sound cloud and I have to say... I LOVE your music!!! It made me recall the music of one of my favourite Aussie bands from the late 80's early 90's... Single Gun Theory. I think maybe ( imo) your 'style' is influenced by that period. (which is a GOOD thing!)

I agree with one comment on one track which suggested you should get some vocals on your music, preferably a female vocal something like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Px0OY7zgc

Jacqui Hunt was the lead singer with the aforementioned Single Gun Theory...and another one who I was enchanted by. :-)

You don't actually sound like SGT but I think you fit in this genre of music...one that i personally love. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfkZpJOZD5M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hrhmj9h ... 25A469D58E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiagprlvw9E

Thanks! :)

Maybe I've been composing music for so long now that my style is relevant again and I can finally quit beating myself over the head for not writing anything that sounds even remotely like the great music of the last decade or two. :lol:

I've never heard those tracks you shared but I like them. It reminds me of the vocalists Delerium uses. What I wouldn't give....

I actually just got reconnected with a female that did some vocals for me some years back, but it was because she suddenly appeared on my online list on gmail and I was "Whoa, where have you been?" So we have some catching up on life to do before I slam her with any "lets get the band back together" type requests. Hopefully will do something again soon.
...just thought I would add this track...they were so far ahead of their time, especially with sampling. They traveled through the middle east back in the eighties when everyone else was going to India, and they recorded local musicians and singers doing traditional music and incorporated those samples into their music. They created this unique (at the time) sound. This track exemplifies this. One of my favourite pieces of music still: 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J-DkgcQ1OA

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:17 pm

beats me wrote:K$sha, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Pink, Rihanna. Massive hook factories, even if they are just the face and voice of the army of talented people behind them.
Fascinating article about said production armies and topline writers here:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012 ... ntPage=all
New Yorker Article wrote: “It’s not enough to have one hook anymore,” Jay Brown, the president of Roc Nation told me recently. “You’ve got to have a hook in the intro, a hook in the pre-chorus, a hook in the chorus, and a hook in the bridge.” The reason, he explained, is that “people on average give a song seven seconds on the radio before they change the channel, and you got to hook them.”
RMBP i7 2.8GHz | OSX 10.14.6 | Live10.1.15 | Fireface800 | Push 2
https://soundcloud.com/paddyfree

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Pitch Black wrote:
beats me wrote:K$sha, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Pink, Rihanna. Massive hook factories, even if they are just the face and voice of the army of talented people behind them.
Fascinating article about said production armies and topline writers here:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012 ... ntPage=all
New Yorker Article wrote: “It’s not enough to have one hook anymore,” Jay Brown, the president of Roc Nation told me recently. “You’ve got to have a hook in the intro, a hook in the pre-chorus, a hook in the chorus, and a hook in the bridge.” The reason, he explained, is that “people on average give a song seven seconds on the radio before they change the channel, and you got to hook them.”

Only got about a quarter way through but I’ll read the rest at home. Not a lot too surprising, but interesting that both Beyoncé and Kelly Clarkson got hits off the same starting point demo song. And among the other artists I named there are some shocking similarities in some choruses that could essentially be the same song but most probably don’t notice because the hook of the vocal melody is that good. They could listen to it over and over and the actual lyrics are inconsequential to what keeps them hooked.

I’d say the Deadmua5/Kaskade pads fall into the same category. The same sound. The same chord rhythm. Just slightly different chords. Used to death by them and a plethora of other Progressive House artists, but it never really seems to get old and has almost become genre defining like the wobble is to Dub Step.

Jack McOck

Post by Jack McOck » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:25 pm

nathannn wrote:when in comes to music?

I just noticed for the last couple of months I have been stuck in the 00's
Everything I feel like listening to lately comes from the early 00's
Im currently stuck on Radioheads first two albums of the decade, thrice, saves the day, at the drive in & bear vs shark

I usually like new music but all the current bands sound like they are going for the Little house on the Prairie theme song, or trying to sound like the theme from Bonanza.

I am 33 years old now.. maybe this is around the age we start getting comfortable with an era of music and just stay there?
This is the only reason the Beatles still sell, though it still baffles me that they sold in the first place.

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:31 pm

Jack McOck wrote:
This is the only reason the Beatles still sell, though it still baffles me that they sold in the first place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDtK7xUIDxk 8)

Kevin Hamler

Post by Kevin Hamler » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:13 pm

No matter how hard I try not to, I always go back to 70s disco.

I think it's something to do with the music you were listening to when you first got laid...
(The artist formerly known as hambone1)

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:15 pm

I suppose if I followed the trend then I'd be stuck listening to Nirvana and Pumpkins, even though we shared the same higher influences of classic rock (Floyd, Zeppelin) and I still spent more time and had more influence from earlier teen music of metal (my holy trinity of pre 90's Metallica, Maiden and Anthrax) and I even had a teased Rush phase in between the metal and grunge ones), but then the discovery of electronic music with the introduction of Orb and Orbital was around the same time my fingers were getting just as good with the little red riding hood as they were with the guitar so maybe you're onto something there :lol:

Otherwise I was originally going to say I'd shoot myself in the head if I kept on listening to the same shit over and over again for decades. That's what radio is for :lol: I mean yeah there are timeless classics we can listen to but sometimes it's just overkill and maybe loses some of it's sacredness as well if it just gets played to death on a regular basis. I want to explore sonic landscapes and get in a groove, not wallow in puddles of memory (at least not just for the sake of listening because "those were the days")!

Actually a good example is when I went to my cousins graduation party and the "jukebox" was a copy of a huge collection of music on a hard drive put together by a bunch of soldiers out in the middle east, so it pretty much had any hit on it from any point in time. Anyway by the time I'm drunk I'm going "oh wow i haven't heard this song in forever I love it" to what most may usually just have a mediocre response to. It made the experience more enjoyable for me, which made it more enjoyable for everyone else.
ImageImage