Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
keydaking

Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by keydaking » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:07 pm

I frequent this site pretty often, and all i ever hear is talk of dnb/dubstep/electronic music/procedures. Dont get me wrong i appreciate all genres, but i would like to chop it up with ppl of the same genre sometimes. So im call all hip hop/rnb producers. Lets start to make more topic regarding Hip Hop.
Dual Quad Core|8gb ram|Axion 49|FT Pro|Live 8 Suite|Komplelte 8|Waves Mercury

regretfullySaid

Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Not that there aren't hip hop producers that use Live, but I think most of them use Fruity Loops.

It's cheaper and there's the "follow what others are using" thing, in the case of FL being cheap and PC-centric.
Or in other words, it's ghetto. Very very capable ghetto. If not more capable than Live, really....
Then if it isn't FL, it'll probably be Cubase or Studio One.
The big factor here is that it's more pc-centric and for the amateurs using cracked software, Live was impossible to crack during 8, so I think those are reasons why you don't see as many hip hop producers floating around the Live forum.
PC. Ghetto.
ImageImage

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:58 pm

shadx312 wrote:Not that there aren't hip hop producers that use Live, but I think most of them use Fruity Loops.

It's cheaper and there's the "follow what others are using" thing, in the case of FL being cheap and PC-centric.
Or in other words, it's ghetto. Very very capable ghetto. If not more capable than Live, really....
The big factor here is that it's more pc-centric and for the amateurs using cracked software, Live was impossible to crack during 8, so I think those are reasons why you don't see as many hip hop producers floating around the Live forum.
PC. Ghetto.
most actual hip hop users are probably on pro tools. that's just young kids and beginners and they all flood youtube with crap.

i'm vaguely hip hop, i guess. i love the sound but i find the community pretty frustrating. there's a lot of crap writing and acting, the latter is alright in small doses. whenever i search for hip hop stuff i usually just get annoyed with what i find in terms of tutorials or support.
ImageImage

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:52 pm

keydaking wrote:I frequent this site pretty often, and all i ever hear is talk of dnb/dubstep/electronic music/procedures. Dont get me wrong i appreciate all genres, but i would like to chop it up with ppl of the same genre sometimes. So im call all hip hop/rnb producers. Lets start to make more topic regarding Hip Hop.
it's a tough crowd.

+1 for most hip hop producers are probably using pro-tools more than anything. that seemed to be the consensus when i got into it. i think RZA spilled the beans.

when you say hip hop... what do you mean? for me, these days, that's Cool Calm Pete radio on Pandora.

BTW, the fact that i have to ask that is the problem. a girl on the street in Oakland once told me "hip hop will break your heart". she was right.

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:28 pm

H20nly wrote:
keydaking wrote:I frequent this site pretty often, and all i ever hear is talk of dnb/dubstep/electronic music/procedures. Dont get me wrong i appreciate all genres, but i would like to chop it up with ppl of the same genre sometimes. So im call all hip hop/rnb producers. Lets start to make more topic regarding Hip Hop.
it's a tough crowd.

+1 for most hip hop producers are probably using pro-tools more than anything. that seemed to be the consensus when i got into it. i think RZA spilled the beans.

when you say hip hop... what do you mean? for me, these days, that's Cool Calm Pete radio on Pandora.

BTW, the fact that i have to ask that is the problem. a girl on the street in Oakland once told me "hip hop will break your heart". she was right.

if people wrote better and played instruments it would probably have a stronger foundation as a genre.
ImageImage

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:42 pm

rakim87 wrote:
H20nly wrote:
it's a tough crowd.

if people wrote better and played instruments it would probably have a stronger foundation as a genre.
there are so many things wrong with that statement i don't even know where to begin
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:45 pm

shadx312 wrote:Not that there aren't hip hop producers that use Live, but I think most of them use Fruity Loops.

PC. Ghetto.
Shad my man I think Nathan was closer to the truth when he thought I was a skinny white guy :mrgreen:

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:51 pm

rakim87 wrote:
H20nly wrote:
it's a tough crowd.

You have got to be kidding.
The problem is that you didn't say that about rock, pop, punk, or electronic music.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:58 pm

As a public service I wanna direct you to this

Just skip ahead to 10:13 of the clip to receive the message

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ5d6rDVMb0

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:04 am

memes_33 wrote:
there are so many things wrong with that statement i don't even know where to begin
should we all agree with each other in the first place or am i allowed to think? i do not give the slightest shit if hip hop was originally based in sampling
starving student wrote:

The problem is that you didn't say that about rock, pop, punk, or electronic music.

HA! that may be true but people crapping out garbage remixes left and right and shitting all over them with their fake style and crap writing is debatably worse. even worse a lot of people just look for prepared instrumentals to shit all over.
ImageImage

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:11 am

rakim87 wrote:
memes_33 wrote:
should we all agree with each other in the first place or am i allowed to think? i do not give the slightest shit if hip hop was originally based in sampling
starving student wrote:

HA! that may be true but people crapping out garbage remixes left and right and shitting all over them with their fake style and crap writing is debatably worse. even worse a lot of people just look for prepared instrumentals to shit all over.
You could be talkin about the plethora of ableton live sets on beat port for all I know, the issue is that you think hiphop has a monopoly on something that it doesn't, for me to act like you don't know that would be insulting your intelligence so what's really real?

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:19 am

starving student wrote:

You could be talkin about the plethora of ableton live sets on beat port for all I know, the issue is that you think hiphop has a monopoly on something that it doesn't, for me to act like you don't know that would be insulting your intelligence so what's really real?[/quote]

there doesn't seem to be much rationality or point to what you're saying. you're also speaking for me in terms of the monopoly thing.
ImageImage

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:21 am

starving student wrote:
rakim87 wrote:if people wrote better and played instruments it would probably have a stronger foundation as a genre.
You'll have to excuse ss, logic and attention to detail are not his strong suits.

@ss: the thread isn't about rock, pop, punk, or electronic music. Just because someone makes a statement on a current topic doesn't mean they're making a de facto statement about some other topic. See how that works?

Of course the "better writing" part is true for all styles and genres.

Not sure how one could seriously say that there need to be more people playing instruments in rock, pop, and punk compared to hip hop. Electronic music, maybe.
Unsound Designer

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:29 am

90% of the hip hop cats are about hardware, not software imo. Push might change that a bit. maybe

Most of the top dudes are MPC and/or Maschine so the rest follow suit, in general. Too much mucky muck in live for a lot of them.

Pro tools midi is dead simple, solid as hell, and easy to track vocals. Hip hop production is about "simple" and huge vocal stacks.

MPC and Pro tools is the main combo.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:38 am

I didn't even take the more instruments part serious so you can consider that something I didn't respond to but the 'writing' , I thought that was funny and outlandish, I'll entertain anyone's opinion at any time no matter how ridiculous it is cough cough stringtapper can vouch for that, but his strong suit isn't mathematics
Or he'd tell you that even making a statement like that only makes sense in broad terms.
My apologies if the monopoly inclination was off base, it seemed to fit.

Btw st you do know he was talking about the foundations of genres in a comparative manner else what would he be using to determine the strength of the foundation in the first place.