Logic Pro X

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Logic Pro X

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:33 pm

myrnova wrote:Nowadays things have changed, and working on PC is almost better (much easier, cheaper and more choices. Less issues).

miekwave wrote:
MUNCHED wrote:im looking to upgrade my laptop which is draggin me back from things as its so slow to a macbook or imac but CANNOT affoard it and seen this in my local aldi...giving the specs is it good enough for my studio for a fair few years, i was hopefully goin to build a monster pc but this is a quad core and 3.2ghz so would it be worth it, ill be buying 2 x new monitors

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur ... esktop-pc/

the price of it in sterling is £344

any help thanks!!!
Depends on how you intend to use Ableton Live
16 Track Build
If you are running fewer than 16 tracks with minimal reverb plug ins, then an AMD Quad FX4350 or Octo Core FX-8350 + 8 GB ram should suffice.

24 Track Build
If you are going 17-24 tracks with more plug ins, Kontact sampling, an Intel Haswell i5 4670k + 8 should be adequate.

36 Track Build
If you are running 25-36 tracks, lots of plug ins, lots of Kontact type sampling, lots of reverbs, then a Haswell i7 4770k, 16-32GB ram is a must have

40+ Track Build
If you are running 37+ tracks, lots of instrument plug ins, lots of VST processing, and using Kontakt player with greater than 250 voices playing with one or more SSD drives and lots of reverbs and low latency, you will want a Dual Configured Intel Xeon setup at least 2.4 GHZ Intel Xeon E5-2640 (12 threads), E5-2667 (12 Threads), E5-2670 (16 threads) and 32-64GB ram

Projects/Sampling and Ram
Ram, most ram is adequate, however ECC ram is more reliable for sample playback. You might not notice a difference if you are playing fewer than 50 voices in your Sampler program such as Ableton Packs or Kontakt player, but once you hit the 200+ voices you will want to use ECC ram, which will help prevent clicks and pops form your streaming sample. Having said that, the error instance is low, but increases by a factor of 10 when you play a bunch of layered sampled (over 200 voices).

8GB ram should be your bare minimum ram.

Kingston makes the best/most reliable ram on the market for DAW PC (imo). Only get the 1333 or 1600 ram, don't bother with the 2300+ rated ram unless you want to play CPU hungry games; as those can over heat and require additional cooling (and noise). Kingston LOVOLTAGE SODIMM ram is only nano/micro seconds slower than normal ram, (which your DAW and Humans cant perceive a difference) and has the best cooling. If you drive 2300+ ram or CPU hard enough you can cause a fire.

Top SSD Drives
The best Drives on the market for loading projects and samples are the Intel 550 Series, Samsung 840 Pro Series, and the Crucial M500 series (imo). For example, if you have Native Instruments Komplete, a Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB will suit you very well. If you want to get EWQL library, the Samsung serves you well as well. For Projects, you can't go wrong with a Crucial M500 960GB. Defrag SSD drives at 20% defragmentation using Auslogics Disc Defrag

If you want to go cheaper, get nothing less than Western Digital Caviar BLACK for your projects drive. Put dual Caviar BLACK in Raid 0 for optimal performance. Defrag the drive at 10% fragmentation.

If you are using greater than 16 tracks, DO NOT put your Ableton projects on the same OS drive, you will kill your hard drive faster than you can say BSOD.

Cooling Solutions
If you intend to go nuts with ultra low latency + VST + Reverb plug ins, you need Corsair H60 cooling solution, as the realtime load of these plug ins heat up your processor. If you are using a "K" series Intel processor you can ridiculously over clock it for massive realtime Plug in usage at 64-128 sample buffer latency.

Rule of thumb - Lower Buffer Latency = Hotter CPU. This is due to the compounding realtime between the time it takes the sound to load and playback (and be processed). Higher biffer settings (say 512 samples) is adequate for most processors.

Windows Home or Pro?
OS: You need Windows 7/8 PROFESSIONAL to use greater than 16GB ram, otherwise you can use the standard home version.

Power Supply:
AMD or i5
Get a power supply rated at 500W (80Plus Bronze will suffice)

i7 or Xeon or with High end Graphics card
Get a power supply that is 800W+ rated 80+Gold or better. You want a Gold rated power supply because anything less than that builds up a lot of heat.

Fans
Silent PC does not mean most effective PC. Be sur your PC has SIDE panel, Front and Rear ventilation with fans. Low RPM fans will suffice and usually do not make (too much) noise.

PC position
Be sure to have at least 4-6 inches air space for the PC to circulate air. The Hotter your CPU gets the faster the lifespan depletes and more error prone it can become.

OS Optimisation
While using Ableton Live (or any DAW for that matter), be sure to disable Real-Time antivirus protection, especially if you are using a traditional HDD 7200RPM disc. Also disable internet connectivity where convenient. Disable as much bloatware (auto startup applications) as possible.

Firewire/Usb
Be sure to get a dedicated USB 2.0 hub that is tabletop friendly and label each port as not to confuse windows port IDs when you connect the wrong device in a designated slot.

A Dedicated Firewire 400/800 card is usually more reliable than the Motherboard version

Video:
Purchase a separate video card to relieve CPU usage. Haswell and Ivy bridge chips have built in integrated graphics, do not use it if you have a Video card. This will give you an extra 3-10% CPU headroom.

File Management
This one is up to you. What I do is Install an Ableton Live program and packs into my C: drive. Then I Install it on my Samsung SSD drive and copy the packs over. The reason I do this is so that I can have quicker installs and load times.

Warranty
It;s always a good idea to purchase at least 2 years warranty. It might cost somewhere in the ball park of $100 a year, but the added insurance will be appreciated.Murphys law applies to PC's Trust me... I have deviced fail on me when I didn't purchase a warranty, but those I did never failed, lol

CacheVault (advanced)
CacheVault PCI solutions allow you to tremendously improve access times for projects and samples. You should only use CacheVault if you intend to go beyond 50+ tracks and over 250 voices.

Go Internal
Have as many components/disc drives built into your PC as possible without resorting to USB/Firewire. Your controllers will obviously be external.

Audio Interface
PCI cards give you the highest resolution, most tracks, and lowest possible latencies. This is useful for 32+ track projects. You can get away with 48-64 Sample Buffer with a PCI card at high track counts as high resolution.
Firewire Solutions give you flexibility with I/O trackcounts and you can get away with 128 samples without hicking up.
USB audio solutions are usually less reliable than Firewire when it comes to massive trackcount and 256 sample buffer should suffice on most USB interfaces.

Backup Solution
Western Digital Caviar Green 2.0 / 3.0 TB drives are very reliable Backup media drives.

Dedicated Page File/ Temp Files , Cache Drive
Western Digital RED drives are designed for continuous access and work as perfect temp folder/cache memory drives. Most 120 GB SSD also work as well. (a SSD with a 50GB pagefile will make ram exchange super fast and transparent). Do not mix a Temp/Cache drive with other drives.

Good luck!

Dead simple.

:x

OJ KARDASHIAN

Post by OJ KARDASHIAN » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:43 pm

one week and i aint missing those 32 bit plugin fuckers anymore. life can go on.
F$&@ You KATO....OJ's favorite Mac shortcut is COMMAND-X (hahaha)

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:51 pm

I’m really digging the arrangement header and the ability to command (or option, I forget which one) drag the header section and it will copy and paste everything under it to wherever you drop it. :)

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:22 pm

beats me wrote:Dead simple.

Easy as...

Fukit

Where does one purchase one of these so-called Mac Pros? :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:32 pm

First big DAMNIT bug with Logic X. In the middle of working on a song I changed from my internal soundcard to my external and it reset the sounds on Kontakt and Omnisphere to the defaults. It the case of Kontakt it didn’t load anything, just the empty interface. :x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:45 pm

Sounds like it reset the Program Changes...
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:28 pm

shadx312 wrote:Sounds like it reset the Program Changes...

The only time I’ve had that happen before was opening up a Live set after I cloned a drive from an old Mac to a new Mac, never simply because I changed the soundcard in the preferences. Now I’ll try to remember to save the set before I switch soundcards.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:38 pm

You should call and ask them how that got past their team.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:45 pm

shadx312 wrote:You should call and ask them how that got past their team.

They’ll just say it’s a feature and not a bug. Then after enough whining from the masses they’ll say they fixed the bug, I mean reversed the feature. :P :x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:47 pm

"Reversed the feature" :lol:

Reminds me of Live 9 :lol:
Except it doesn't mean squashing bugs, just...reversing features.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:57 pm

shadx312 wrote:"Reversed the feature" :lol:

Reminds me of Live 9 :lol:
Except it doesn't mean squashing bugs, just...reversing features.

As a sidebar, the next gen xbox is starting to get called the xbox 180 because of all the policy reversals Microsoft has made since its announcement. :lol:

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Like what?
ImageImage

Steve Ballmer

Post by Steve Ballmer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:08 pm

"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Steve Ballmer wrote:Like this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=xbox+180

Yes, but why didn't you bing it? :x

Steve Ballmer

Post by Steve Ballmer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Because I don't watch the Vampire Diaries.

"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."