robot workers in fast food

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:45 pm

The world will always need plumbers, mechanics, and HVAC service

Styles Bitchly
Posts: 1224
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:49 pm
Location: Burbank

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by Styles Bitchly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:20 pm

beats me wrote:The world will always need plumbers, mechanics, and HVAC service
Perhaps, but I'm a rock star Plumbers and such are supposed to take care of my boring maintenance headaches while I concentrate on turning it to 11 frequently.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:
beats me wrote:The world will always need plumbers, mechanics, and HVAC service
Perhaps, but I'm a rock star Plumbers and such are supposed to take care of my boring maintenance headaches while I concentrate on turning it to 11 frequently.


In the US right now there’s basically 2 groups of people. People who work in intangibles like finance, programming, and rocking and people who have to service their mundane life needs so they can go on financing, programming, and rocking in relative undisturbed comfort. Robots can’t replace all the second group’s responsibilities. They certaintly couldn't replace the Mexican.

andydes
Posts: 2917
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: Bremen

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by andydes » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:Robots will not replace workers, more's the pity, because workers are cheaper than robots.

Only in a socialist society can robots really get do do most of the work.

I am here for a full argument, so please don't be backward about coming forward.
A socialist society could work with robots replacing people.

A capitalist society with robots also works if you prepared for some people to get even more mega rich with millions more in poverty.

We're not talking C3PO type robot, but much more automation. Driverless vehicles are nearly viable and they will be much cheaper than a human driver/pilot. They also won't have a union.

High street shops could be gone in a decade as people buy cheaper on line.

Maybe a new sector will open up in the same way as the service industry did when manufacturing lost so many people in the west, but this is not for certain.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:
beats me wrote:In the US right now there’s basically 2 groups of people. People who work in intangibles like finance, programming, and rocking and people who have to service their mundane life needs so they can go on financing, programming, and rocking in relative undisturbed comfort. Robots can’t replace all the second group’s responsibilities. They certaintly couldn't replace the Mexican.
Which Mexican?

Mexican Mexicans. El Salvadorans and Hondurans are easily replaceable by Crips, Bloods, and unmanned drones (which is a robot of sorts).

Styles Bitchly
Posts: 1224
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:49 pm
Location: Burbank

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by Styles Bitchly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:47 pm

andydes wrote:
Funk N. Furter wrote:Robots will not replace workers, more's the pity, because workers are cheaper than robots.

Only in a socialist society can robots really get do do most of the work.

I am here for a full argument, so please don't be backward about coming forward.
A socialist society could work with robots replacing people.

A capitalist society with robots also works if you prepared for some people to get even more mega rich with millions more in poverty.

We're not talking C3PO type robot, but much more automation. Driverless vehicles are nearly viable and they will be much cheaper than a human driver/pilot. They also won't have a union.

High street shops could be gone in a decade as people buy cheaper on line.

Maybe a new sector will open up in the same way as the service industry did when manufacturing lost s ofo many people in the west, but this is not for certain.

In addition to the traditional assembly line automation jobs, "bots" will also become increasingly pervasive in the venue so-called "grunt jobs" - garbagemen, flipping burgers, cleaning carpets, replacing your roof shingles, etc. Basically, most if not all of the "labor" or "blue-collar" jobs that pretentious white-collar middle/upper-class people turn their noses up at today will be increasingly absorbed by bots which will of course open up a whole new set of issues....what to do with the illegal immigrant/third-world/"lower-class" masses who mostly toil away at these jobs now for minimum to subpar wages. Remember that "Wall-E" movie where everyone turned into fat lazy slugs while bots did all of the work? There will be a helluva lot of dystopian struggles before it ever gets to that level though once people are faced with what to do with themselves all day. 8O

Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by Steve Ballmer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:48 pm

andydes wrote:A socialist society could work with robots replacing people.
Socialists could be replaced by robots from the 80s and nobody would notice the difference.
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

earthloop
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:58 pm

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by earthloop » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:49 pm

Steve Ballmer wrote: Socialists could be replaced by robots from the 80s and nobody would notice the difference.
Ahh! So this has been Micro$ofts's strategy all along eh? :lol:

Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by Steve Ballmer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:02 pm

It's a work in progress. Once we are able to properly emulate the emotions "rage" and "indignation", there will be no more need for human socialists ;)

Read more about it here: http://www.microsoft.com/robotics/
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Silverlight? FUCK SIVLERLIGHT

Image

Image

btw, I think you're beats, not McOck
ImageImage

Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by Steve Ballmer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Image
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Image
Image

AND HERE'S WHAT THE SLAVES THINK OF YOUR INTERNET EXPLORER
Image
ImageImage

Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by Steve Ballmer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:16 pm

I'll have you know that many businesses love IE 6 so much, they haven't even tried anything else yet!
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

machinesfuckingoff
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:37 am
Location: Kingston upon-Hull

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by machinesfuckingoff » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:09 am

Steve Ballmer wrote:I'll have you know that many businesses love IE 6 so much, they haven't even tried anything else yet!
I met your bald arse at a tech conference in London a few years back. It was right after a keynote you gave. Your facial expressions were idiotic that day and your untrimmed nosehairs were visible to the audience. Your bad breath about knocked me out. Clearly wealth doesn't spell couth for some. Oh, and I use Linux so there.

Forge.
Posts: 5792
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: robot workers in fast food

Post by Forge. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:31 am

Just saw the Elysium trailer - looks awesome, and very similar to Marshall Brain's dystopia

http://www.itsbetterupthere.com/site/

Post Reply