King Thread

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: King Thread

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:56 pm

beats me wrote:And that’s where the bulk of the conversation would have gone instead of discussing it at face value…12 pages debating on the agenda of why it was posted in the first place. So it was deleted.
that.

andydes wrote:I think the forum's been desensitized to reprehensible opinions of late.
yeah. i've seen enough dead children and blood on this online music forum to last a lifetime.

fwiw IMHO, leisuremuffin did a good job of keeping his cool in that thread. it was train wreck before it left the station. although i do agree that having that discussion in and of itself is not bad... just a recipe for a downward spiral.

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:05 pm

I was going to add to that thread in all probability Mr King would have, at some stage, been offered/awarded an Honorary Doctorate for his achievements in service to the public/nation or whatever anyway so the initial argument was moot as far as I am concerned...but I didn't want to contribute to that thread in the end.

I missed whatever happened after the first two pages.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:07 pm

^ actually good point. in my post above i speak to that thread as if i followed it to it's demise. i am only aware of about a page and half of it. anything that happened after that is unknown to me.

and i forgot my new sig. thanks loop!
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:16 pm

Excuse me? Discuss it at face value? Are you serious? To just about any rational person that discussion takes about 20 seconds. Or however long it takes you to say, "bullshit."

He plagiarized portions of his dissertation. Yes, that is fact. But the argument that he should be stripped of his PhD doesn't happen in a political and historical vacuum. It is not asking for "special treatment" to suggest that a man of such historical and political value should not have his doctorate stripped from him for a charge that came 25 years after his death. Please give me an example of anyone else in history that any university has ever done this to if you want to argue special treatment.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:22 pm

um... the fact that Dr. King plagiarized is a bit of interesting conversation piece. sorry dude. it just is.

the man has brought tears to my eyes and i even mention him in my lyrics. i have the upmost respect for what he did with his life, but i didn't know that he had copied and pasted. i'm not passing judgment or taking anything from his accomplishments by speaking of it am i? - at least, not anything that he didn't take from his own accomplishments by doing it.

i think that's what docproper and beats me are getting at.

*shrugs*

not gonna argue with anyone about it. it seems more of an emotional topic at this point. the facts have already been discussed. personally i'm still pro-King, this doesn't change that.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:31 pm

It was interesting about twenty years ago when it was news, yes. And yes, it is interesting in general.

There is a difference in stating the facts and making the argument that jack presented.

His argument, was that Boston University should have revoked his doctorate and that to suggest otherwise is to ask for special treatment for MLK. That is clearly ridiculous to any rational person with even a passing understanding of the man's place in history.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:34 pm

sorry i guess i was too busy being a teenager and getting high to catch that broadcast on ABC or whatever. :roll:

:arrow:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:42 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:Excuse me? Discuss it at face value? Are you serious? To just about any rational person that discussion takes about 20 seconds. Or however long it takes you to say, "bullshit."
A discussion could be had but the OP was trolling and your response was only thinly disguising the fact that you had both hands on your holsters with a “choose your next words wisely” tone.

Anyhow, looks like a less heated conversation about it is happening here.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:49 pm

beats me, my tone was completely reasonable and i was facing a completely unreasonable argument. That's the truth. the conversation in this thread is actually far more heated from my side.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:46 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:beats me, my tone was completely reasonable and i was facing a completely unreasonable argument. That's the truth. the conversation in this thread is actually far more heated from my side.
:lol:

Fucking internet. I actually thought your tone was more heated in the other thread. And on that note, I’m not taking a confrontational tone with you in this thread. Just stating things as I saw them. :)

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:54 pm

earthloop wrote:I was going to add to that thread in all probability Mr King would have, at some stage, been offered/awarded an Honorary Doctorate for his achievements in service to the public/nation or whatever anyway so the initial argument was moot as far as I am concerned...but I didn't want to contribute to that thread in the end.
Same here.
Unsound Designer