IPCC 2013 Edition

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by Steve Ballmer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:11 am

I have previously been skeptical of global warming alarmism, but having perused the latest report, I'm now prepared to do a full 180°. News that scientists are 95% certain that, because of man, temperatures are likely to increase between 0.3 and 4.8°C by 2100 is just too important to dismiss.

Again, I used to be skeptical, in part because the predictions were so vague, but a 0.3 to 4.8°C increase just seems so damn credible. This time round.

:lol:
Last edited by Steve Ballmer on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

lowshelf
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by lowshelf » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:39 pm

I enjoyed the story about the scientist type who read the report with tears streaming down his face. "I'll never fly again!" I didn't realise Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a documentary and at some point in time the chimps locked up the real scientists and donned white coats.

Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by Steve Ballmer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:37 pm

[accusations of Alex Jonesism] ...
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

arctic ranger
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:49 am
Location: inuvik NT/vancouver BC

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by arctic ranger » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:59 pm

Oh boy, most of the right wing media here in Canada has got a whole whack load of sand in their vaginas over this, basically blaming the political left for controlling the mainstream media left to advance an agenda to take away our rights.

Don't have a link, it was on a national radio show - the Roy Green show.

I'm not trying to start anything, just an observation on how politically charged this has come.
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by Steve Ballmer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:08 pm

You don't need a link, what you're saying is pretty much self-evident. Politicians will always attempt to infest every inch of our lives and culture in order to attain their goals. "Science", as far as they're concerned, is just another medium. Of course, if the actual "science" doesn't fit with their plan, they will try to distort it. Its only value is not is not inherent, but rather is derived from its potential to be used as a widely accepted authority to which politicians can appeal.

Of course, some here (McFunk) have stated that that science and politics should be mixed. So I guess I must be a loon for believing otherwise.

In any case, there's a consensus. :roll:
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by Steve Ballmer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:37 am

More funsies. Contrast A with B:

A. "So far, no one has been able to provide a compelling answer to why climate change seems to be taking a break. We're facing a puzzle. Recent CO2 emissions have actually risen even more steeply than we feared. As a result, according to most climate models, we should have seen temperatures rise by around 0.25 degrees Celsius (0.45 degrees Fahrenheit) over the past 10 years. That hasn't happened. In fact, the increase over the last 15 years was just 0.06 degrees Celsius (0.11 degrees Fahrenheit) -- a value very close to zero. This is a serious scientific problem that the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) will have to confront when it presents its next Assessment Report late next year." (Hans von Storch, Professor at the Meteorological Institute of the University of Hamburg)

B. "This report constitutes—aaaaaaaa—an alarm clock moment for the world because this report—um—will tell us again that everything we thought we knew on climate change has actually been underestimated, that the effects of climate change are actually will be upon us faster —errrr—and in a more intense fashion than we had thought." (Christina Figueres, Executive Sec., UN Framekwork Convention on CC)

Image
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

andydes
Posts: 2917
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: Bremen

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by andydes » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:44 am

So you are saying that the world's governments got together with the world's climate scientists and came up with the following strategy-

The scientists would tell the world we're all fucked if don't drastically reduce our use of fossil fuels.

The government would say "yeah, yeah, we're all worried about that too" whilst supporting any effort to squeeze every bit of fossil fuel out of the ground they can.

What kind of propaganda campaign continually tries to convince the world you're shit and going to wreck everything?

Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by Steve Ballmer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:04 am

andydes wrote:So you are saying that the world's governments got together with the world's climate scientists and came up with the following strategy-

The scientists would tell the world we're all fucked if don't drastically give up our freedoms.
Yip.
andydes wrote:What kind of propaganda campaign continually tries to convince the world you're shit and going to wreck everything?
One which seeks to infantalize the general population—"We can't manage ourselves, look at the mess we've made! Somebody has to do it for us!"
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

andydes
Posts: 2917
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: Bremen

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by andydes » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 am

Let me rephrase, I wrote that really badly. In fact pretty much the opposite as I meant.

What kind of government propaganda campaign says "the government is shit and destroying everything?"

Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by Steve Ballmer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:38 am

andydes wrote:Let me rephrase, I wrote that really badly. In fact pretty much the opposite as I meant.

What kind of government propaganda campaign says "the government is shit and destroying everything?"
Simple. If the government is doing a bad job, it must be because it hasn't received enough funds/powers/blowjobs.

In stark contrast, if a private company is doing a bad job, it goes tummy up.

TUMMY UP.

:x
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

andydes
Posts: 2917
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: Bremen

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by andydes » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Ok. Assume you are right and AGW is a big lie made up by by the world's governments and the world's scientists.

What's the big plan? Cover the world with windmills and make us drive electric cars just for the hell of it? Is that kind of power that politicians crave?

docprosper
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by docprosper » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:47 pm

arctic ranger wrote:Oh boy, most of the right wing media here in Canada has got a whole whack load of sand in their vaginas over this, basically blaming the political left for controlling the mainstream media left to advance an agenda to take away our rights.

Don't have a link, it was on a national radio show - the Roy Green show.

I'm not trying to start anything, just an observation on how politically charged this has come.
misread this to mean you got all your political insight from the Red Green show, which would be IMO awesome.
Image
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by Steve Ballmer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:59 pm

andydes wrote:Ok. Assume you are right and AGW is a big lie made up by by the world's governments and the world's scientists.

What's the big plan? Cover the world with windmills and make us drive electric cars just for the hell of it? Is that kind of power that politicians crave?
You're misinterpreting me here. AGW is very likely happening, I'm just willing to bet that our (humans) overall impact is minuscule compared to the natural forces at play. So I'm not saying that it's been made up, I'm simply saying that it's being massively exaggerated and politicised.

But as you say, what would be the point of that?

Think of it as education. Kids growing up learn different things, have different experiences and obtain various degrees. None of these things or degrees are worth a damn in themselves; they are simply TOOLS.

If we assume that 911 was an inside job (I said assume), then the purpose there, or one of the purposes, was to pass the Patriot Act, which is essentially a declaration of war by the US government against its own people. The excuse was terrorism, but the apparent goal was something quite different.

In this vein, we could speculate that for the past 30 years, the government has been cautiously evaluating the potential of AGW as a tool for power grabbing, or taking the temperature, so to speak.

I seriously doubt hybrids have anything to do with it.
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by Steve Ballmer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Well that sure killed the party.
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

balva
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:41 am

Re: IPCC 2013 Edition

Post by balva » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:22 pm

"Hey, all you bands singing about the environment -- your guitars are made from trees!" -Danny Bonaduce

Post Reply