On Music

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
regretfullySaid

Re: On Music

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Fuck the children!

Not literally, of course.

But according to Mr. Poopy Head the children need to to confirm certain sound patterns as music for it to be music. I'm assuming he means american children because italian children wouldn't be listening to sounds, they'd be looking at a score.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

myrnova

Post by myrnova » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:07 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Well, you are a poet. Unfortunately, birds have no grey cortex like mammals, so no associations. Only instinct and two or three reactions (like snakes, fish and insects).
Well not exactly, I'm much closer to a biology major with a PhD in biochemistry. But please continue ;-)
:arrow: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QtUVxlWDA1c

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:13 pm

ImageImage

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:13 pm

shadx312 wrote:But according to Mr. Poopy Head the children need to to confirm certain sound patterns as music for it to be music. I'm assuming he means american children because italian children wouldn't be listening to sounds, they'd be looking at a score.
that's correct.

Italian children learn to write sheet music as soon as they can hold a pen.
by contrast, American children are drawing comic book characters at the same stage in their development.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:15 pm

My children would be drawing comic book characters writing sheet music..
ImageImage

myrnova

Post by myrnova » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:24 pm

ok, sorry for the trolls talking like "fuck the children" and such crap.

here :arrow: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QtUVxlWDA1c

You can observe the typical reaction of children when listening to music. Music is prelinguistic and pre-cultural: Human Brain. Like language, face perception, smile, face recognition etc. There is no need to "learn" it. You just need an environment to "switch on" typical (human) reactions. Of course we don't know every aspect regarding music "code", language "code", etc. This could be an interesting matter of discussion.

"Modern music" is just manipulation of sounds and/or recordings or conceptual provocation. Can be interesting, cool, whatever, but it is not music, because:
(a) it needs a cultural background to be understood (on the contrary, music is a-cultural)
(b) it has no universal codes (on the contrary, music has a universal code)
(c) once sounds disappears, even "modern music" ceases to exist. Music, on the contrary, exists even without the sound.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:32 pm

lulz! You think something is yours :lol:
ImageImage

myrnova

Post by myrnova » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:40 pm

here is another example

:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTenve7g0no

As you can see, there is no need to be a scientist to understand that music is a-cultural and pre-linguistic. The reason: music has a universal code.
On the contrary, so called "modern music" has no code, it needs a cultural background to be understood and (first of all) children won't recognize it as "music". Conclusion: for me it is not music, but just a cultural niche, conceptual art, "art of manipulating timbre and noises", "sound collage", whatever. Not music.

Example of "modern music" :arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9pOq8u6-bA
Interesting, cool, whatever. But I cannot find anything "pre-cultural". Everything is conceptual.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 pm

myrnova wrote:for me it is not music, but just a cultural niche, conceptual art, "art of manipulating timbre and noises", "sound collage", whatever. Not music.
You sound like my mother that one time I made the mistake to take her to a Modern Art exhibition: "Oh this is not art! I can't even recognize the shapes (code ;-) ). Just give me a bucket of paint, and I make you 10 of this in an hour. So where are my millions...? Yada yada"
It was quite cringe inducing! Just like your persistence to know it all... :roll:

I'm out :(

myrnova

Post by myrnova » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:01 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
myrnova wrote:for me it is not music, but just a cultural niche, conceptual art, "art of manipulating timbre and noises", "sound collage", whatever. Not music.
You sound like my mother that one time I made the mistake to take her to a Modern Art exhibition: "Oh this is not art! I can't even recognize the shapes (code ;-) ). Just give me a bucket of paint, and I make you 10 of this in an hour. So where are my millions...? Yada yada"
It was quite cringe inducing! Just like your persistence to know it all... :roll:

?!! 8O

Steve Ballmer

Post by Steve Ballmer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:16 pm

TomViolenz wrote:

Your mother is correct, and your taste, apparently, is shite.
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

myrnova

Post by myrnova » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:40 pm

His mother probably had no cultural background, and the son had to explain to her the meaning of "conceptual art". But he was too busy, he had to listen to the birds singing... :roll: :lol:

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:44 pm

That pretty much sums up your presence here really well!

A thread will start like this:
The thing about modern music is that the traditional conception of a "note" doesn't really apply these days.

We have the ability to sculpt things that some call "sound objects" that defy the old conceptions of a "note" and are more akin to the concept of sculpture wherein an "object" (sound) can be modified to the point of being indistinguishable from the original sound that we started with.

This makes traditional music theory useless and means that we have to come up with an entirely new way of codifying our methods.

Discuss.
And you'll turn it into this!:
myrnova wrote:Image
ImageImage

myrnova

Post by myrnova » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:44 pm

stop trolling, mr. "fuck the children" :roll: :lol:

Maybe you don't even know who Piero Manzoni was...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_Shit

:roll:
Last edited by myrnova on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Don't worry, you and Steve are the only ones left in here, so feel free to open up the tins and enjoy the poop fight:)
ImageImage