Russel Brand On Revolution

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Bagatell

Re: Russel Brand On Revolution

Post by Bagatell » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:16 am

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... revolution

The article is way better than the interview.

crofter

Post by crofter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:59 am

The trouble with all this communist bullshit is that "the workers" are largely fucking stupid and incapable of running anything, that's why they are workers.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

crofter

Post by crofter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:13 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:
crofter wrote:The trouble with all this communist bullshit is that "the workers" are largely fucking stupid and incapable of running anything, that's why they are workers.
The trouble with this post is that it is bullshit. No offence.
You go on deluding yourself sunshine.
Cubase 7

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:30 am

crofter wrote:The trouble with all this communist bullshit is that "the workers" are largely fucking stupid and incapable of running anything, that's why they are workers.
Exactly why do you think in a communism workers would "run" things? Mostly IMO the main concept is that a worker isn't devalued because his job isn't glamorous.
If you think it's OK to be derogatory towards labor let the garbage men not pick up your trash for a few weeks and see how fun that can get.
In other words intelligence isn't worth shit if it turns you into a twat.

crofter

Post by crofter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:48 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
Exactly why do you think in a communism workers would "run" things? Mostly IMO the main concept is that a worker isn't devalued because his job isn't glamorous.
If you think it's OK to be derogatory towards labor let the garbage men not pick up your trash for a few weeks and see how fun that can get.
In other words intelligence isn't worth shit if it turns you into a twat.
That is not exactly what communism is. In communism there would not be this situation where you have people who do non-glamorous jobs and people who do glamorous ones. Communism is more like everyone has several part-time activities including study, work, taking part in administration and leisure. Work in menial tasks would not be devalued because everyone would do some of it, and everyone would do more interesting work as well.
And fuck all would get done at all.
Cubase 7

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:03 am

The Ableton lounge doing it's thing. :roll: How do two complete twats get away with it?

Brand is talking about a revolution in consciousness not some 19th century "ism". Read the article and get a clue.

crofter

Post by crofter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:34 am

Bagatell wrote:The Ableton lounge doing it's thing. :roll: How do two complete twats get away with it?

Brand is talking about a revolution in consciousness not some 19th century "ism". Read the article and get a clue.

I apologize as I'm of topic, I didn't watch the Brand interview,life's too short, my response was to funken's usual commie claptrap.
Cubase 7

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:47 am

if Russel Brand is the closest thing we can find to a thought/opinion leader then we are all doomed.

The man is a vapid, narcissistic twat (IMHO)
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

artworks

Post by artworks » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:51 am

We should always be wary of wealthy people who prescribe anarchy as a solution. Anarchy always terrorizes most of the people including the most vulnerable, it's a distopian solution; Brand underestimates the misery of the poverty and violence that anarchy would bring down upon everyone. The irony is that the present wealthy minority who abuse the rest of us would still be immune from the worst of it. Russell Brand's anarchy would be a self inflicting, stupid idea. To listen carefully to Brand's rhetoric is to experience his overweening narcissism. He talks entertainingly but always without personal responsibility or viable alternatives and always in the form of generalised clichés and slogans. It's hilarious but embarrassing listening to his artificial revolutionary critique of 'paradigms'.
Last edited by artworks on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

crofter

Post by crofter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:51 am

crumhorn wrote:if Russel Brand is the closest thing we can find to a thought/opinion leader then we are all doomed.

Don't know about that, he just gets on my wick.
Cubase 7

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:24 pm

crumhorn wrote:if Russel Brand is the closest thing we can find to a thought/opinion leader then we are all doomed.

Brand would no doubt agree with your assessment of him, as would I, before I had read his editorial. The fact that it's published by the New Statesman and the rabid response it's had from the BBC, and the Huffington Post just make me think there's something worth watching here.

myrnova

Post by myrnova » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Russell Brand, Britain’s reluctant Beppe Grillo :roll:

This guy is a (lame) copycat of an italian comedian called "Beppe Grillo" which organized "revolutions" through the slogan "fuck off" (in italian: "vaffanculo": "V day") using the "V for Vendetta" logo ("V" in italy stands for "fuck off") and nowadays has a populistic party called "5 stars movement" which has 25% of votes in Italy. In my opinion Grillo is a pseudofascist, like Marie Le Pen in France (even if disguised as a "liberator" with solutions in his program that remind a leftish program). Russel Brand on the contrary is just fake and ridicolous, he (badly) imitates Grillo and the "interview" is clearly staged. As far as I know, the most important thing about him is that he was Kety Perry's husband or smth :lol: He is as "revolutionar" and "anarchist" as my potatoes in the garden (with a dfference: my potatoes are useful).

:lol:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:46 pm

crumhorn wrote:

Not altogether unlike a whole raft of elected politicians, then.

OK, not all of them are vapid, but narcissism and twatness seem to be job requirements

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:47 pm

More seriously; though Brand is rather shallow and silly, he is right about how corrupt and pointless mainstream politics has become.

A dangerous situation. It's the kind of context in which fascist politics can take hold; so I do think myr is right about that

myrnova

Post by myrnova » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:49 pm

The Finn wrote:More seriously; though Brand is rather shallow and silly, he is right about how corrupt and pointless mainstream politics has become.

A dangerous situation. It's the kind of context in which fascist politics can take hold; so I do think myr is right about that
Fascist politics have already taken hold (unless you think U.S. war policy means "democracy" and "peace"?). The american guy is just a lame imitator of Grillo (maybe his american managers think this kind of popularity is something "cool" and they want to import the format in angloamerican lands, as when hollywood takes old italian movies and remakes them with american actors for american tastes... I don't know). He's quite embarassing, though. Both for italian real revolutionars (which have NOTHING to do with Grillo and his staff) and for anarchists. Maybe he is just a CIA agent (like his ex wife kety), this time they used him in order to ridiculize real anarchist and revolutionary organisations... who knows :roll: :lol: People is rather naive and easily brainwashed by this kind of staff, expecially in times of crisis. See what happend in Italy:

This guy (a famous italian comedian) started imitating the "V for Vendetta" comics and american movie hero. Now 9 million people in Italy vote his "V for Vaffanculo" (in english: "F as in Fuck off") movement... :roll: