Decided to start a carrier in Ableton!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
nefelia

Decided to start a carrier in Ableton!

Post by nefelia » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi everyone!

this story is a little bit different so bear with me.

I am a 2nd year phd student in numerical engineering. And already have a lot of experience in c++ , MPI, multithreading and python(Since we develop our own in-house codes for numerical methods)

So the question is what do I need to learn (Audio-engines?, MAX probably?? ) to boost my chances of getting hired by Ableton. I've still got one and a half year for my current studies. I guess that would be more than enough to learn what ever is needed by Ableton, right?

any comment would be appreciated.

cheers

regretfullySaid

Re: Decided to start a carrier in Ableton!

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:35 pm

https://www.ableton.com/en/jobs/

I'll probably get banned for saying this because no-one outside the offices are supposed to know, but what will really make you stand out is if you can tap-dance while spinning plates and balancing a cherry on your nose. Or is that how you get a certification?
ImageImage

nefelia

Post by nefelia » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:55 pm

shadx312 wrote:
I'll probably get banned for saying this because no-one outside the offices are supposed to know, but what will really make you stand out is if you can tap-dance while spinning plates and balancing a cherry on your nose. Or is that how you get a certification?
ok you are probably right to make fun of me, since I didnt articulate my point well enough!
I was not looking for inside information to get my chances higher, neither am I looking for certification of any sort! I was merely trying to find out what one has to know to get passed the learning curve more quickly since now I have spare time and want to know how ableton works under the hood!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Its ok, a sense of humour isn't required either!

Cheers
D

nefelia

Post by nefelia » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:08 pm

S4racen wrote:Its ok, a sense of humour isn't required either!

Cheers
D
:) so a straight answer is out of the question then I guess!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:11 pm

Well, don't take it too personally, as I was just making more of a general silly answer, but I wasn't sure if checked out the jobs section of the site or not.
Although, you are asking in the lounge...maybe that's like going into the Cantina bar and asking how to apply to be a mechanic on the Death Star...

My advice would be to email the question directly to Ableton.
ImageImage

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:21 pm

nefelia wrote:
S4racen wrote:Its ok, a sense of humour isn't required either!

Cheers
D
:) so a straight answer is out of the question then I guess!

Hahahahaha, seriously though, theres a few Ableton employees around here, although i think Shadx's suggestion is the best seeing jobs listed in the past they are quite detailed on the experience required!

Cheers
D

nefelia

Post by nefelia » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:21 pm

shadx312 wrote:Well, don't take it too personally, as I was just making more of a general silly answer, but I wasn't sure if checked out the jobs section of the site or not.
Although, you are asking in the lounge...maybe that's like going into the Cantina bar and asking how to apply to be a mechanic on the Death Star...

My advice would be to email the question directly to Ableton.

Yeah you are right, but I didnt find any section in forum which would quiet go with my question! I saw one post in lounge , where a guy was asking about learning c++, so I thought maybe there are people here who also know about application development in ableton! Also on the ableton's website they only say "solid experience in c++ application development". I mean, That's a bit too general, isnt it?

Oh to emphasize once again I am just planning to learn about audio programming, I still have a long way till applying for an actual job!

Quiggers

Post by Quiggers » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:10 pm

firstly I'm a customer and in no way linked with Ableton's HR,

but reading your experience and their wish list i would say you need to get dig into maxforlive,
become a prolific and high quality contributor, demo your wares on youtube.
or you could build some vsts.

become aware of teams structures, a current dev job lists "scrum" as ableton's preferred
team management method, these fashionable team structures come and go but it pays
to be aware of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQrsVfjb ... 9ckz5JQz0R
management mumbo jumbo. in short be a team player, deliver on commitments. drive inovation
to give value to the customer bla bla bla!

Really as an engineer, you should be aiming for the above, it'll be tied to your love of solving problems,
but you need to know the buzz words so you can converse with the pen pushers and penny counters.

Ableton are one of my "dream Job" employers but i'm an electronic engineer so i dont fit their bill,
but that's not to say they only hire accredited software engineers.

maybe tailor your side projects to creating a portfolio of things a software audio company would appreciate.

nefelia

Post by nefelia » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:30 pm

Quiggers wrote:firstly I'm a customer and in no way linked with Ableton's HR,

but reading your experience and their wish list i would say you need to get dig into maxforlive,
become a prolific and high quality contributor, demo your wares on youtube.
or you could build some vsts.
Thanks man this helped alot!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:20 am

It may also help to be a "user" too...

Do some quick research on this forum and you will see quite a few gripes over what seems to be the simple things and the points that have been outstanding for some time (delay compensation for one). compile a list of maybe 10 outstanding plausible issues and see if you think you could address them.

Then, go to ableton, tell them you are there to fix all these issues and I am sure you will have the lounges support.

Just be warned. Once you accept this challenge you will not be welcome back here until your mission is deemed a success!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:11 am

jestermgee wrote:It may also help to be a "user" too...

Do some quick research on this forum and you will see quite a few gripes over what seems to be the simple things and the points that have been outstanding for some time (delay compensation for one). compile a list of maybe 10 outstanding plausible issues and see if you think you could address them.

Then, go to ableton, tell them you are there to fix all these issues and I am sure you will have the lounges support.

Just be warned. Once you accept this challenge you will not be welcome back here until your mission is deemed a success!
I think it would be impossible for an outsider to fix the pdc issue, you would have to have access to the source code, to even know where to start!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Pffft, I could fix it with a roll of duct tape and some chicken wire and shit.

Post by 102455 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:10 am

nefelia wrote:So the question is what do I need to learn
Start by learning how to spell career. :lol:

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:13 am

102455 wrote:
nefelia wrote:So the question is what do I need to learn
Start by learning how to spell career. :lol:
That's what he meant?!

I thought this was a thread about FM synthesis.

:x
Unsound Designer