Galt (and bean too, if he has something to say)

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Galt
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Galt (and bean too, if he has something to say)

Post by Galt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:47 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:Forgive me, I'm an American and that's how we spell it here, consider me corrected.
Image

Bean Machine
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Re: Galt (and bean too, if he has something to say)

Post by Bean Machine » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:20 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:Because you want to re-write history and say that SA was better off before Mandela?
That's not so much rewriting history as it is merely stating facts. Living conditions were better for all races, on average, during the apartheid era than they are now.

Not that I wish to defend apartheid in any shape or form, it was an abomination to be sure. But, the facts are what they are. You won't hope to gain a better understanding of reality by sweeping them under the rug.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11141
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Galt (and bean too, if he has something to say)

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Galt wrote:@ Leisuremuffin

This is the standard previously set by this forum, by members including Finn, Machinesworking, etc. on how to celebrate the death of a politician:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=192340&hilit=+thatcher
There isn't a single mean spirited thing about her death I said in the Thatcher thread. You once again do a better job of hanging yourself than any of us could.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11141
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Galt (and bean too, if he has something to say)

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:08 pm

Galt, name a world leader from the 30's and 40's that was not a racist.
The fact is the USA had a segregated army, the UK was still a colonial power and we all know about Italy and Germany.
Jews were for the most part turned back at all borders because surprise surprise, Germany wasn't the only country with racist views.

Placing Ghandi on a pedestal might be silly, but if you're going to frame him as racist, you would have to frame all the world leaders at the time as racist = your point sucks.

In general people are flawed, and people in positions of influence are put under a microscope. Best to look at what their legacy is rather than what you want to believe.
India in every way deserves to find it's own way rather than to be a colony of the UK. Whether or not an ex colony has a hard time of it afterwards isn't a reason to believe that freedom from subjugation is a bad thing, and speaks more to typical 'white mans burden' logic than anything else. :roll:

Galt
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Galt (and bean too, if he has something to say)

Post by Galt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:32 pm

Machinesworking wrote:There isn't a single mean spirited thing about her death I said in the Thatcher thread. You once again do a better job of hanging yourself than any of us could.
Of course there isn't. But you didn't hold back on the fun stuff either, such as "we could make idle threats towards North Korea, stir them up and inflate our own military at a time when we should be trying to get rid of debt etc". I'm NOT having a go at you here, I'm simply pointing out that on this forum, RIP threads have been used in the past for humour and worse, which is why leisuremuffin crawling up my arse over a Morgan Freeman joke is a clear cut case of selective prosecution.

Galt
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Galt (and bean too, if he has something to say)

Post by Galt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Galt, name a world leader from the 30's and 40's that was not a racist.
The fact is the USA had a segregated army, the UK was still a colonial power and we all know about Italy and Germany.
Jews were for the most part turned back at all borders because surprise surprise, Germany wasn't the only country with racist views.

Placing Ghandi on a pedestal might be silly, but if you're going to frame him as racist, you would have to frame all the world leaders at the time as racist = your point sucks.

In general people are flawed, and people in positions of influence are put under a microscope. Best to look at what their legacy is rather than what you want to believe.
India in every way deserves to find it's own way rather than to be a colony of the UK. Whether or not an ex colony has a hard time of it afterwards isn't a reason to believe that freedom from subjugation is a bad thing, and speaks more to typical 'white mans burden' logic than anything else. :roll:
Ah yes, I always forget how racism used to be ok, but now it's not. I guess if I were to call South African blacks k*ff*rs (à la Ghandi) I could plead guilty to anachronism rather than racism. Remind me again which dick here was having a go at Jefferson for owning slaves? :roll:

(Hint: it was you)

Machinesworking
Posts: 11141
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Galt (and bean too, if he has something to say)

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:56 pm

Galt wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:There isn't a single mean spirited thing about her death I said in the Thatcher thread. You once again do a better job of hanging yourself than any of us could.
Of course there isn't. But you didn't hold back on the fun stuff either, such as "we could make idle threats towards North Korea, stir them up and inflate our own military at a time when we should be trying to get rid of debt etc". I'm NOT having a go at you here, I'm simply pointing out that on this forum, RIP threads have been used in the past for humour and worse, which is why leisuremuffin crawling up my arse over a Morgan Freeman joke is a clear cut case of selective prosecution.
That would be a good comeback if you had bothered to make political observations about Mandela, but you didn't. You dishonored his death with stupid jokes about him looking like Morgan Freeman, whereas I stated that I didn't wish death on anyone even if I didn't agree with their politics, and spoke in return to your original alias about politics in general, which isn't at all out of line in a thread about a politician dying.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11141
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Galt (and bean too, if he has something to say)

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Galt wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Galt, name a world leader from the 30's and 40's that was not a racist.
The fact is the USA had a segregated army, the UK was still a colonial power and we all know about Italy and Germany.
Jews were for the most part turned back at all borders because surprise surprise, Germany wasn't the only country with racist views.

Placing Ghandi on a pedestal might be silly, but if you're going to frame him as racist, you would have to frame all the world leaders at the time as racist = your point sucks.

In general people are flawed, and people in positions of influence are put under a microscope. Best to look at what their legacy is rather than what you want to believe.
India in every way deserves to find it's own way rather than to be a colony of the UK. Whether or not an ex colony has a hard time of it afterwards isn't a reason to believe that freedom from subjugation is a bad thing, and speaks more to typical 'white mans burden' logic than anything else. :roll:
Ah yes, I always forget how racism used to be ok, but now it's not. I guess if I were to call South African blacks k*ff*rs (à la Ghandi) I could plead guilty to anachronism rather than racism. Remind me again which dick here was having a go at Jefferson for owning slaves? :roll:

(Hint: it was you)
Fair enough on the Jefferson quote I suppose, but Ghandi if you've ever read up on him is easily not a saint, he slept with his teenage helpers to make sure his chastity was solid?? among other weird things. The main thing he did was get rid of English rule, and IMO just like Jefferson he should be applauded for what he got right, not used as bait against Mandela at the time of his death. From what I know of history Jefferson has been dead almost 200 years now. So where is the connection there? he is a hero of yours and in a completely unrelated thread I thought it was funny that you thought a guy who owned slaves was a beacon of political freedom. Best US politician. Personally I wouldn't choose him even back then, though I respect him greatly, Franklin actually advocated to free the slaves.

You can bait all you want I suppose here, but the more you jump around in history, both personal and globally, to make your half assed points the more awkward it looks. I said nothing rude about Thatcher in her thread, you went out of your way to make light of Mandela in that thread. No way around that.

Galt
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Galt (and bean too, if he has something to say)

Post by Galt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:44 pm

No, I said he was the best presy, as per your question. Franklin was never president.

Galt
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Galt (and bean too, if he has something to say)

Post by Galt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Indeed, light and rude are very different things. You were cracking jokes in the Thatcher thread, I was cracking jokes in the Morgan Freeman thread. No two ways about it.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11141
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Galt (and bean too, if he has something to say)

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Galt wrote:Indeed, light and rude are very different things. You were cracking jokes in the Thatcher thread, I was cracking jokes in the Morgan Freeman thread. No two ways about it.
Seriously, you were rude. The first thing I said in the Thatcher thread is I disagreed with 90% of her politics but wished death on no one.
You simply made stupid jokes straight out the door. The attention you got this time was well deserved.
The fake oppression is great in this one. :x

I will say though, anyone that's upset that a 95 year old man died is a little out of touch, that's a great solid amount of time on this planet. 8)

Galt
Posts: 966
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Galt (and bean too, if he has something to say)

Post by Galt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:08 pm

nm

Post Reply