Printing a record with a 3d printer

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
re:dream

Printing a record with a 3d printer

Post by re:dream » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:59 am

TomViolenz

Re: Printing a record with a 3d printer

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:38 pm

The only useful scenario I can come up with, is a prolific producer, who would want to play the song he JUST made this very evening at a gig and he is a vinyl purist. Anything else?!

Post by re:dream » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:54 pm

If your name is Boards of Canada and you want to release something only to people who own a 3d printer?

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:48 pm

The Finn wrote:If your name is Boards of Canada and you want to release something only to people who own a 3d printer?
:lol:

Boards of fucking Canada. :x

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:51 pm

The Finn wrote:If your name is Boards of Canada and you want to release something only to people who own a 3d printer?
Yeah well, I guess that is the other use case...

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:52 pm

beats me wrote:
:lol:

Boards of fucking Canada. :x
I'm glad they went ahead with the name change :mrgreen:

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Don't you guys know that there is currently a global retro revolution going on? The 12" vinyl record is making a comeback and I know that some of my friends are making more profit on record sales than on c.d,.'s or downloads. Besides, there is the possibility that you can use many different materials to make records on a 3D printer making it a new much cheaper version of the old record pressing plant. And infinitely more sustainable both environmentally and economically. Not so silly really!

http://whatculture.com/music/vinyl-revo ... -board.php

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:29 pm

earthloop wrote:Don't you guys know that there is currently a global retro revolution going on? The 12" vinyl record is making a comeback and I know that some of my friends are making more profit on record sales than on c.d,.'s or downloads. Besides, there is the possibility that you can use many different materials to make records on a 3D printer making it a new much cheaper version of the old record pressing plant. And infinitely more sustainable both environmentally and economically. Not so silly really!

http://whatculture.com/music/vinyl-revo ... -board.php
But for one offs there are dubplates and white labels, and for a small series from 100 - 1000 records you can use the boutique record printers. They even make you nice sleeves in 4 color offset prints.
I really don't see the niche for the 3D printers here.

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:58 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
But for one offs there are dubplates and white labels, and for a small series from 100 - 1000 records you can use the boutique record printers. They even make you nice sleeves in 4 color offset prints.
I really don't see the niche for the 3D printers here.
But Tom, can't you see it's all about owning the means of production! ;-)

Actually, my interest is also in the different substances which could replace vinyl (a petroleum product) to make records. But I also just like the idea of being able to make stuff yourself when you need it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:04 pm

While this may be cheaper than buying your own vinyl press setup, it sure as fuck isn’t cheaper than just releasing a digital copy which covers 99% of the population that is going to listen to it or play it for other people.

Post by re:dream » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:41 pm

But I guess it's a tad more difficult to pirate.

Plus you can make other stuff with a 3d printer.

Like a pair of woolen socks, for instance.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:44 pm

The Finn wrote:But I guess it's a tad more difficult to pirate.

And warp in Live when you record it to digital. Genius. :x

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:56 pm

beats me wrote:While this may be cheaper than buying your own vinyl press setup, it sure as fuck isn’t cheaper than just releasing a digital copy which covers 99% of the population that is going to listen to it or play it for other people.
I don't think it is even cheaper than letting a proffesional plant print your dubplates/vinyls.

I'm not generally against 3D printing. I think it's great! But this is a really bad use case IMO.

And btw, plastic or not plastic (or vinyl) has nothing to do with 3D printing. In fact todays consumer 3D printers all use plastic, and really what else should they use?! I'm all for environmental development and getting us off fossils, but shouldn't stopping to BURN that stuff, be the first focus?!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:50 am

erm, the fancy 3D printers that can do this kind of work cost hundreds of thousands of dollars...

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:28 pm

fishmonkey wrote:erm, the fancy 3D printers that can do this kind of work cost hundreds of thousands of dollars...
...and still yield ~6bit resolution :cry:
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft