Universities outside the US don’t have sports?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
TomViolenz

Re: Universities outside the US don’t have sports?

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:16 am

The Finn wrote:Coming in a bit from the side here

One important difference between the States and some other places as far as I can see is that there is a huge difference *within* the University system, between the so called ivy league universities, which draw in what we in the business call the rock star researchers (ahem :oops: ), and which prioritize research over teaching, and where the competition for tenure is fiercely competitive; and many of the state universities which don't have much of a research profile, and where the teaching can be seriously average.

As far as I can see European Universities don't have so much internal differentiation. All the Dutch universities that I know of all all pretty excellent. The difference between them is not so much about who is 'ivy league' and who is not, but religious orientation 8O

Also, in many European universities there often seems to be a much more balanced approach to the mix of research and teaching. They don't rate so well in the international rankings because the scores are heavily influenced by publishing. But you get an excellent education there. For example Bologna, a University I know a little bit in my field, is almost invisible in the international stats in my field - but they have some really good academics and the students they produce are excellent. Especially at undergraduate level.

British Universities - a very mixed bag, more differentiated (ranging from technical schools to Oxf/Cambridge) but for the most part *very* solid teaching; quality of postgrad education (as in Europe) would depend on what field a particular university is strong in.

On the whole the British University system has over the last few decades been one of the strongest in the world, with really high quality education *and* good research. This will soon not be the case, as the new govt seems to be embarking on some really ruinous policies.

I dunno about sports. I personally don't think it makes a huge difference.

For me the ideal academic career would be: undergraduate education in Europe --> Ph D in the UK --> ridiculously well paid tenure at a US university with bevies of nubile research assistants.
^+1
As usual you write the most insightful post of the thread!
I'd just like to point out that the tenure pay is often not the determining factor, but it's the kind of money you can spend on staff and equipment and having few other responsibilities than pure research that draw the top researchers.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:53 am

TomViolenz wrote: staff and equipment and having few other responsibilities than pure research
That's what I meant.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:53 am

TomViolenz wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
TomViolenz wrote: (The only reason I mention the German system here as an example is that it's the system I know. But don't let that stop you from being prejudist ;-))
None of that has anything to do with the conclusion you were trying to draw by saying there was a low percentage of americans in university research labs, nobel laureates etc. At best it's vast generalizations based on your disdain for the US educational system. At worst it's typical "look they are doing it wrong, we europeans... " which is something that can be said to be an archetype. Plus it's wrong, there is a large percentage of american laureates, and there is a huge percentage of foreign students at any university here, which skews the ability to make any bold statements like you did even further. Plus your data gathering on research labs seems to have consisted of friends of yours. All this is 'selection bias'. <-- A historically not so great archetypically german trait.
I see you took my advice and didn't let facts stand in your way of your prejudices...;-)
I wonder how many Germans do you actually know to even build such a stereo type?!
I mean I know your opinion is probably only based on anecdotes ;-), but I wonder if it is not just pulled right from your behind!
By the way, even your stereo type of "Europeans don't like Americans" would be quite wrongly applied to me. I lived in the States for two years and enjoyed your country and its people tremendously, and if the US PhD programs wouldn't be akin to slavery, I might have actually chosen to do it in the US.
Your reply completely ignores that it is you who made assumptions. You assumed that because some of your friends had said there weren't many americans in the research labs that this piece of information was somehow evidence of a greater problem, selection bias is basing your conclusions on evidence that fits your preconceived notions of what the truth is.

You also don't seem to be aware of the difference between an archetype and a stereotype. I've been telling you that you have been acting like a german stereotype, that is completely different from telling you that you're acting like a stereotypical german.
To further make it hilarious, the observation of archetypical behavior is based on the stereotype that germans are quick to draw conclusions, to prejudge, that you seem to be doing in this thread. Notice how I haven't called you prejudiced or even insulted you, except to say you're acting like an archetype of an arrogant german.

Galt

Post by Galt » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:00 am

Is Tom stereotyping again? He does this from time to time. Bloody Germans.

:x

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:01 am

Notice how I haven't called you prejudiced or even insulted you, except to say you're acting like an archetype of an arrogant german.
lol
I see I can leave you to youself now to further expose yourself, you obviously need no help with this :wink:

Galt

Post by Galt » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:02 am

TomViolenz wrote:I've enjoyed your people.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:04 am

Galt wrote:Is Tom stereotyping again? He does this from time to time. Bloody Germans.

:x

You can't read well, huh?!
Hint: there is certainly stereotyping going on, but it's not me doing it ;-)

Galt

Post by Galt » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:24 am

S'all good dog, I've already been giving Machines a hard time lately for his primary school level maths, so I thought I'd cut him a break.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:11 pm

“University”. I got the impression from the article that outside the US any higher education institution above high school is referred to as a university. There’s no “this is a state college and this is a university” No?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:10 pm

In Germany we have a different separation.
There are Universities and Technical colleges (think MIT).
One i.e. educates architects, the other civil engineers. There is overlap in the fields they teach though. If both teach the same field, the titel from the university would be considered more valuable. Also technical colleges can't lead to a PhD.

(Note: These technical colleges are not equivalent to vocational schools, we have those too of course. We implement them in a so called dual system, where you go to the vocational school half of the week and work-train in a company the other half. You even get paid a small sum.)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:29 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Notice how I haven't called you prejudiced or even insulted you, except to say you're acting like an archetype of an arrogant german.
lol
I see I can leave you to youself now to further expose yourself, you obviously need no help with this :wink:
You're right, germans are an oppressed people, and any mention of archetypical behavior means I want you all gassed. :roll:

Again, you're the one trying to say that Americans and their education system are bad awful etc, and that mostly foreigners are doing our research, but I'm stereotyping. :roll:

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:33 pm

Fuck MIT and their chess team. I hear they use dark-matter for the king piece.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:39 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
lol
You're right, germans are an oppressed people, and any mention of archetypical behavior means I want you all gassed. :roll:

Again, you're the one trying to say that Americans and their education system are bad awful etc, and that mostly foreigners are doing our research, but I'm stereotyping. :roll:
You no read good? :lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:46 pm

TomViolenz wrote: You no read good? :lol:
Your ESL is showing. :|

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
TomViolenz wrote: You no read good? :lol:
Your ESL is showing. :|
Since you obviously didn't understand anything I wrote in this thread (how else would you have come to the ridiculous conclusions of the post above?!), I tried to write in a simplified language that you may understand.
That didn't work though...