Important: Changes to Community Guidelines

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
stringtapper

Re: Important: Changes to Community Guidelines

Post by stringtapper » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:28 pm

H20nly wrote:apparently tense and/or the spelling are among the most common things that go wong. :x
fixed
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:29 pm

:x

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:14 am

Bob Marley would be quite upset about taking politics out of his art

as would all of the other oppressed people in the world who use art to speak out against the burden of society.

art is politics and a voice for the masses and the silenced.

I've been posting on this forum since you could post annon, political threads of a heated nature have always been here and a pride on non-censorship was also a pride of the abletons as voiced by themselves.

the open nature of this forum is what made it the great community that it is today.

I'm sad to say that I'm out after 5000+ posts I've been here a long time but to learn today that this forum is no longer the great forum it once was is sad.

peace out

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:46 am

doc holiday wrote:art is politics and a voice for the masses and the silenced.
For you maybe. For me it's something much greater than petty human concerns like politics.
Unsound Designer

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:34 pm

I agree that politics is part of every day life, and I think it is actually impossible to discuss art without politics coming up from time to time.

But that is not necessarily a problem. I don't think threads are going to get shut down the moment someone mentions politics etc.

The ban was a way of shutting down some of the unpleasant flame wars and nastiness that was going on.
Some measure of calm has indeed returned. But more because some of the main protagonists have stopped posting than because of the ban.

If the current mellowness continues, I am sure some low level political discussions and observations will crop up from time to time and I would not expect those to be banned. But the mods now have a weapon with which to lock down any such thread if they want to :(

Galt

Post by Galt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:53 pm

False. Political music is more about giving the dirtiest and laziest elements of society the impression they can change things than it is about actually changing things.

Bob Marley is little more than Commodus's 150 days of games.

Post by re:dream » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:51 pm

The politics ban, of course suits the likes of Galt down to the ground.

He can deliver his sarky one-liners, secure in the knowledge that no-one will actually take him on, because they would be... talking politics.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:21 pm

stringtapper wrote:
For you maybe. For me it's something much greater than petty human concerns like politics.

it's called history. this is something that goes back to the beginning of human expression/

Art is the voice of the many, the voice that doesn't get heard otherwise and has always been intertwined.

it's called living in oppression, and many folks have.

History is rewritten by the winners.

The artists preserve the truth and give a voice to the silenced. This has been going on forever. Try studying some culture, you'd be surprised what you can learn especially from the art.

Galt

Post by Galt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:33 pm

The Finn wrote:The politics ban, of course suits the likes of Galt down to the ground.

He can deliver his sarky one-liners, secure in the knowledge that no-one will actually take him on, because they would be... talking politics.
8)

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:48 pm

doc holiday wrote:it's called history. this is something that goes back to the beginning of human expression/

Art is the voice of the many, the voice that doesn't get heard otherwise and has always been intertwined.

it's called living in oppression, and many folks have.

History is rewritten by the winners.

The artists preserve the truth and give a voice to the silenced. This has been going on forever. Try studying some culture, you'd be surprised what you can learn especially from the art.
Thanks. I study and teach about musical culture every day in a university setting.

Like I said, that may be all that art is to you, but that's not all it is to me and many others who have lived throughout history.

Having such a rigid interpretation of what something must be defined as is one of the roots of oppression. Try contemplating that. You might be the one who's surprised.
Unsound Designer

Galt

Post by Galt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:50 pm

doc holiday wrote:The artists preserve the truth and give a voice to the silenced. This has been going on forever. Try studying some culture, you'd be surprised what you can learn especially from the art.
No, artists tattoo their faces and shoot heroin. Try turning on the TV, you'd be surprised how up your own arse you are.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:49 pm

doc holiday wrote:The artists preserve the truth and give a voice to the silenced.
until the artists themselves become the silenced.

Post by re:dream » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:57 am

Galt wrote:
doc holiday wrote:The artists preserve the truth and give a voice to the silenced. This has been going on forever. Try studying some culture, you'd be surprised what you can learn especially from the art.
No, artists tattoo their faces and shoot heroin. Try turning on the TV, you'd be surprised how up your own arse you are.
In my experience, artist work at call centres, wait at restaurants, and live in the poorer parts of town. And spend their precious waking hours remaining to them still pursuing their dream of making things that are true and beautiful. Some make it, some don't.

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:32 am

The Finn wrote:In my experience, artist work at call centres, wait at restaurants, and live in the poorer parts of town. And spend their precious waking hours remaining to them still pursuing their dream of making things that are true and beautiful. Some make it, some don't.
Find The Thing You're Most Passionate About, Then Do It On Nights And Weekends For The Rest Of Your Life

I hope that wasn't too political?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:41 am

Galt wrote: No, artists tattoo their faces and shoot heroin. Try turning on the TV, you'd be surprised how up your own arse you are.
Yes, because you must watch TV to understand art. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: