Important: Changes to Community Guidelines

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: Important: Changes to Community Guidelines

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:38 am

My take on it all?
If you want protection you lose freedom, there is no way around this.
You want people banned you don't like, you get less freedom, period.

Sure, you're left with well mannered responses to your shenanigans, but you're also devoid of any real differences, you effectively put a suit on the forum, assuring a certain atmosphere.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:13 pm

That pretty much sums it up.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:46 am

TomViolenz wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:My take on it all?
If you want protection you lose freedom, there is no way around this.
You want people banned you don't like, you get less freedom, period.

Sure, you're left with well mannered responses to your shenanigans, but you're also devoid of any real differences, you effectively put a suit on the forum, assuring a certain atmosphere.
The problem is not, that without the banned people there is not enough input to discussions, and that's why the threads die.
The problem is, that the now banned people made it impossible for us to have discussions about politics and religion, (or anything current really), because their shitty behaviour made the mods decide to now delete every thread, that even tries to discuss such things.
You cannot have protection without losing freedom.
Repeated because you seem to miss that point. :)

Ableton don't want to spend any real time on moderating this forum, that's obvious.
If enough people are constantly bothering them about other members then they will instal draconian methods. Without a real moderator presence, this is what you get.
...and we all know that even with a moderator you're going to get that persons sense of decorum, not yours or mine.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:56 am

I think banning both Funken and discussions is overkill. Take one or the other, but not both.
ImageImage

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:12 am

Machinesworking wrote: You cannot have protection without losing freedom.
Repeated because you seem to miss that point. :)
You're starting to sound like one of them

:x

derzai

Post by derzai » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:48 am

TomViolenz wrote:When I was 15, I was among the protesters that brought down a weakend East German government. We did this by peacefully showing up in the 100 000s each Monday night all over the country!
Interesting! Last time i was in Berlin was in 1987. (WestBerlin, stayed there a 6 weeks, there was an occupation of the university, fun time). Also did the obligatory trip to East Berlin, checkpoint charlie, had to change 25 westmark for 25 eastmark (imagine) but luckily found a Nat King Cole record in one of "your" collective shops.

Good memories. (Diepgen was running for major if i remember well.)

You should write down your story.

derzai

Post by derzai » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 am

About applying the rules: if somebody comes up with something like: "the moon is bigger than the sun" i dont really care. But if the guy start repeating this statement for 60plus pages i really wonder what the mods are doing.

Buh.

I rest my case.

derzai

Post by derzai » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:08 am

TomViolenz wrote:Nah, it's already been done. There was even a short fad in German literature of young East Germans telling their story. Most of it was in the humorous "Good Bye Lenin" and "Sonnenalle" vain though. In our postmodern times nothing sells (or gets printed) without irony. Apparently if we don't laugh about ourselves once having had ideals, and mention lot's of sterotypical products, styles and experiences, it's not a story worth telling.
I bet people like Henry Miller would not get published today :x
Everything has already been done, a friend of me used to say. Wouldnt bother. Yeh,i found the "good bye lenin" movie terrible. Then write the book about your frustrations, in the context of your place and time. Or dont write anything, whatever.

derzai

Post by derzai » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:28 am

TomViolenz wrote:I liked Good Bye Lenin, what I don't like is the fact that everything has to be funny/ironic nowadays.
That is what i found rejectable about the good bye lenin movie, some light tragikomedy about a history that must have been really dark grey and repressive. like they wanted to get away with their own history by making some light funny movie out of it.

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:31 am

TomViolenz wrote:Nah, it's already been done. There was even a short fad in German literature of young East Germans telling their story. Most of it was in the humorous "Good Bye Lenin" and "Sonnenalle" vain though. In our postmodern times nothing sells (or gets printed) without irony. Apparently if we don't laugh about ourselves once having had ideals, and mention lot's of sterotypical products, styles and experiences, it's not a story worth telling.
I bet people like Henry Miller would not get published today :x
Don't discount the marketability of interspecies/bestial/necrophiliac romance, as per Twilight and the Hobbit part 2. There's nothing funny or ironic about Bella's journey from selfish teen to undead selfish teen.