Feature someone who isn't minimal techno, pls.

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
regretfullySaid

Re: Feature someone who isn't minimal techno, pls.

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Yes, I would feel weird too. I guess I don't have any festival memories where the whole audience looked like teens. If I were you I'd stick my arms out and mow them down with the clothesline while yelling that you are the artists biggest fan.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:20 pm

beats me wrote:I’m mostly exaggerating. I maybe get out to a festival once every year or two now, but I really don’t have the great time I used to have 10 or so years ago. I mostly just look forward to leaving early so we can go find a dive bar and I can talk to strangers in a much more inviting atmosphere.

I went to a festival in SF a couple months ago. I went Friday and it was alright, but I had a much better time at the dive bar afterwards which eventually lead to a warehouse party. Saturday night I skipped the festival and instead went and got stupid with H2Only on Haight St. I also feel that was a better decision than going to the festival. The next day I also skipped the festival, went home, and watched the live stream of Hall & Oats and Kaskade from the comfort of my recliner. Overall, I’d say it was the best festival weekend I’ve had in a while. :)
Are festivals also a sleeping in tents (if sleeping at all ;-) ) affair in the US?! The way you describe it, it sound way less "hippiesque" than I'm used to here?!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:23 pm

Depends on the festival. Maybe out west there's more of the camping out thing but then there are underground festivals where there's camping going on, if they still end up happening as planned. For 3 day festivals a lot of the time you get a bracelet instead of being allowed to camp. A lot of people can find used bracelets on the ground outside the perimeter so you can get in for free.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:30 am

shadx312 wrote:Depends on the festival. Maybe out west there's more of the camping out thing but then there are underground festivals where there's camping going on, if they still end up happening as planned. For 3 day festivals a lot of the time you get a bracelet instead of being allowed to camp. A lot of people can find used bracelets on the ground outside the perimeter so you can get in for free.
I see you are well versed in festival etiquettes ;-)

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:03 am

Any establishment that's going to over-charge me for food and drink is going into the "well then I'm going to rip you off too" bin. Especially if they insist you can't bring any of your own. Again, underground always has the upper hand.
ImageImage

TAINTLICK

Post by TAINTLICK » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:10 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:
TheNobleNemesis wrote: why can't that change? I see no reason for Ableton's blog features to be exclusionary.
Ableton David runs the blog as far as I know. Does that answer your question?

The blog has never featured MacAbleton, after it has produced 150 pages of unique, exclusive free Ableton Live tutorials, reviews, news, interviews, competitions etc.

I interviewed a producer who uses Live, who has 45,000 followers on Facebook. That is a lot more than most of the Ableton Blog regulars, some of whom are feature almost every day. A lot more!

But did it get a mention? No chance.

I ran a competition for the same prize as a competition featured on the blog, only mine ran for 3 weeks and the featured one only 24 hours! Did mine get a mention? No chance.

I have a competition coming up to win an 8 hour video tutorial, how to master in the box in Ableton Live. There is ZERO CHANCE it will get mentioned.

YOUR INCESSANT WHINING LIKE A LITTLE GIRL IN THREAD AFTER THREAD, POST AFTER POST, IS NOT ATTRACTIVE. WOMEN GENERALLY LIKE A MAN WHO'S A LITTLE MORE MANLY.

THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO KNOW IN CASE NO ONE HAS TOLD YOU. THANK ME LATER.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:20 am

I am not taintlick, just wanted to make that clear.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:34 am

shadx312 wrote:Any establishment that's going to over-charge me for food and drink is going into the "well then I'm going to rip you off too" bin. Especially if they insist you can't bring any of your own. Again, underground always has the upper hand.
I'm the same way, so no need to explain youself :mrgreen:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:38 am

TAINTLICK wrote:
Funk N. Furter wrote:
TheNobleNemesis wrote: why can't that change? I see no reason for Ableton's blog features to be exclusionary.
Ableton David runs the blog as far as I know. Does that answer your question?

The blog has never featured MacAbleton, after it has produced 150 pages of unique, exclusive free Ableton Live tutorials, reviews, news, interviews, competitions etc.

I interviewed a producer who uses Live, who has 45,000 followers on Facebook. That is a lot more than most of the Ableton Blog regulars, some of whom are feature almost every day. A lot more!

But did it get a mention? No chance.

I ran a competition for the same prize as a competition featured on the blog, only mine ran for 3 weeks and the featured one only 24 hours! Did mine get a mention? No chance.

I have a competition coming up to win an 8 hour video tutorial, how to master in the box in Ableton Live. There is ZERO CHANCE it will get mentioned.

YOUR INCESSANT WHINING LIKE A LITTLE GIRL IN THREAD AFTER THREAD, POST AFTER POST, IS NOT ATTRACTIVE. WOMEN GENERALLY LIKE A MAN WHO'S A LITTLE MORE MANLY.

THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO KNOW IN CASE NO ONE HAS TOLD YOU. THANK ME LATER.
You do know, that all of us were quite happy that Funken seems to have calmed down, and we were all able to have some friendly bannter in the Lounge again?!
SO, YOU ARE NOT HELPING!!!

BTW: Something is wrong with your keyboard, methinks!

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:45 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
beats me wrote:I’m mostly exaggerating. I maybe get out to a festival once every year or two now, but I really don’t have the great time I used to have 10 or so years ago. I mostly just look forward to leaving early so we can go find a dive bar and I can talk to strangers in a much more inviting atmosphere.

I went to a festival in SF a couple months ago. I went Friday and it was alright, but I had a much better time at the dive bar afterwards which eventually lead to a warehouse party. Saturday night I skipped the festival and instead went and got stupid with H2Only on Haight St. I also feel that was a better decision than going to the festival. The next day I also skipped the festival, went home, and watched the live stream of Hall & Oats and Kaskade from the comfort of my recliner. Overall, I’d say it was the best festival weekend I’ve had in a while. :)
Are festivals also a sleeping in tents (if sleeping at all ;-) ) affair in the US?! The way you describe it, it sound way less "hippiesque" than I'm used to here?!

Most of the large US festivals are in large cities. The only exceptions I can think of are Burning Man in the middle of the desert and Coachella which is a small town with limited hotels. There’s some mid-sized festivals in the wilderness with camping but I don’t really have any interest in those. And after a day of partying and dancing (back when I was in my prime) I want to sleep in an actual bed and take a shower. Fuck the discomfort and filth of camping. :x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:22 pm

That's one great thing about having festivals at Grant Park. The downtown nightlife is just a couple blocks away. When the festival is over thousands of people spill into downtown and every train station is packed with stoned/drunk/tripping kids who would otherwise never dress like hippies. It kind of reminds me of that scene near the end of Blazing Saddles when the cowboys rush into the lot where the guys in tuxes are doing broadway rehearsal and you see the clash between brown and black & white.

ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:06 pm

beats me wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:

Most of the large US festivals are in large cities. The only exceptions I can think of are Burning Man in the middle of the desert and Coachella which is a small town with limited hotels. There’s some mid-sized festivals in the wilderness with camping but I don’t really have any interest in those. And after a day of partying and dancing (back when I was in my prime) I want to sleep in an actual bed and take a shower. Fuck the discomfort and filth of camping. :x
You are what's wrong with festivals in your country... :twisted:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:48 pm

In SA the median age at the festivals is about 30 as far as I can make out. I and my posse raise that number some. And our camp tends to be very comfortable 8)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:14 pm

The Finn wrote:In SA the median age at the festivals is about 30 as far as I can make out. I and my posse raise that number some. And our camp tends to be very comfortable 8)
Tent or hotel at your festivals?

(I find that hotels go against everything that I asociate with festivals!)

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:38 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
The Finn wrote:In SA the median age at the festivals is about 30 as far as I can make out. I and my posse raise that number some. And our camp tends to be very comfortable 8)
Tent or hotel at your festivals?

(I find that hotels go against everything that I asociate with festivals!)

So what do you do when a festival is in a major city and there's no camp ground in sight? Or do you not consider those gatherings a festival?