No, oooooold school

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
regretfullySaid

Re: No, oooooold school

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:10 pm

You have a point, but then it was actively shifted away from in order to try and sustain the vibe of the OP. Problem is I don't have a very good sense of humor.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:13 pm

shadx312 wrote:You have a point, but then it was actively shifted away from in order to try and sustain the vibe of the OP. Problem is I don't have a very good sense of humor.
Hey it can't be as bad, as the one of this Teutonic one over here ;-)

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:27 pm

Tom! Did you watch the damn video yet? :)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:00 pm

beats me wrote:Tom! Did you watch the damn video yet? :)
ah, all right, I'll get my lazy ass over to vimeo...

Ok that was pretty funny, but not really because of the punchline (that was easy to spot from a mile away) but the acting and timing was really good.
BTW: what was it, that he put on in the end, that was even before swing and all that jive....

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:11 pm

:)

The end might have been a little more of a surprise if you just happened upon it and I didn’t force it on you. Not sure what the track was. Sounds like something from the 20’s.

So that could lead to a discussion on the history of dancing, what was once oddly deemed offensive, and NEW TO THIS THREAD ANGLE – Sonically could that music even be brought up to today’s standards, like to a point where a DJ could toss it into a current mix? I thought it was kind of funny when the video insinuated a drop at the beginning of that track and people started excitedly dancing, but sonically it just wasn’t there.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:34 pm

beats me wrote::)

The end might have been a little more of a surprise if you just happened upon it and I didn’t force it on you. Not sure what the track was. Sounds like something from the 20’s.

So that could lead to a discussion on the history of dancing, what was once oddly deemed offensive, and NEW TO THIS THREAD ANGLE – Sonically could that music even be brought up to today’s standards, like to a point where a DJ could toss it into a current mix? I thought it was kind of funny when the video insinuated a drop at the beginning of that track and people started excitedly dancing, but sonically it just wasn’t there.
That's just a problem of production. If the recordings are available, you could probably do quite a lot to them to make them loud enough. Not dubstep loud though, but that's a good thing IMO.
If you can still get people dancing? I bet. Swing is quite big since quite a few years here in Berlin and the parties are awesome, because the people dress up to them like they imagine people dressed in the roaring 20s.
Which is quite something here in Berlin, because Jeans and T/Sweat shirts is the usual attire for the guys here when they go out.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:14 pm

I’ll have to re-listen to the track but I think there are even some current basic elements missing like drums and bass. By today’s standards it’s crazy to think that would pack a dance floor, but it did once.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 pm

beats me wrote:I’ll have to re-listen to the track but I think there are even some current basic elements missing like drums and bass. By today’s standards it’s crazy to think that would pack a dance floor, but it did once.
It was really hard to hear in that clip.

But I promise you, you get dance floors filled with Swing nowadays, and there was no drums or bass either in that(at least not in the current sense)

You have to advertise the party as such of course, you can not just drop it into the middle of a dub step set in a standard dance club.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:35 am

Swing was pretty big here in the 90's and then it died off. But I think the song in the clip predates swing and is more from the flapper era when the dancing was more about quick hand and feet movement and a lot less manhandling from a partner than swing.

This video seems to match the song played in the OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNAOHtmy4j0

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:48 am

Only the reefer could cause otherwise self-respecting citizens to act in such a foul and deplorable manner.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:06 am

beats me wrote:Swing was pretty big here in the 90's and then it died off. But I think the song in the clip predates swing and is more from the flapper era when the dancing was more about quick hand and feet movement and a lot less manhandling from a partner than swing.

This video seems to match the song played in the OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNAOHtmy4j0
I think what makes Swing work and probably not this, is that Swing has that cultural aura of the Golden/Roaring 20s. It might have been the first time in history, when something like the night club and even young people culture we know today showed it's (depraved ;-) ) head.

(I said young people culture, rather that youth culture, because I'm sure that the people that participate in this now start a lot younger, than was normal then. I could be wrong though)