should i opt for passive or active monitors?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
8O

Re: should i opt for passive or active monitors?

Post by 8O » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:36 pm

^ ha, good choice...

I have a 303 power amp, just gathering dust... too nostalgic to sell...

derzai

Post by derzai » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:26 pm

^^^yeh nice. morphic resonance. lol.

i got this one, received today, will tomorrow see if it works, looks cute.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:08 pm

Passive is best. It's the power. Ya just get a whole bunch more. Like, whatever you want. You also don't get protection circuitry that is very annoying in actives. You also get to try dif amps. Who doesn't like that?

Actives are really great if ya take it easy on the throttle, and are mobile of course. My passives never move. Powered sub too.

Go passive for the main speaks' Small actives for secondary. \ /

derzai

Post by derzai » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:25 am

knotkranky wrote:Passive is best. It's the power. Ya just get a whole bunch more. Like, whatever you want. You also don't get protection circuitry that is very annoying in actives. You also get to try dif amps. Who doesn't like that?

Actives are really great if ya take it easy on the throttle, and are mobile of course. My passives never move. Powered sub too.

Go passive for the main speaks' Small actives for secondary. \ /
Yeh thanks for your input, i have understood.

RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:10 am

Mate. Where have you been?

It's not possible to buy new passive monitors any more. No one makes them.

Look on Thomann. 324 active monitors for sale. 11 passives and most of them are JBL Controls, Avoncube Mixdudes and other stuff they haven't been able to get rid of at any price for years.

The only other passives you can still get are eye wateringly expensive and they aren't really passive either because they are meant to be used with an active crossover and separate amps. They just don't stuff the whole caboodle into one box. So they can charge you even more.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:38 am

I think in general producers use active speakers more for repeatability. You know your KRK's or Genelecs will sound the same as any other pair of that exact same model. It gives manufacturers more control to tailor the sound of the speaker/amp to be exactly what THEY want it to sound like based on their experience and research.

Passive speakers, especially the expensive type, are more about letting the user tailor the way things sound. If you're spending $10k on a pair of speakers, you (most likely) know how to listen to detail and can experiment with various amps/cables/etc to make things sound how YOU want.

At least, that's how I look at it.

We'll see, I have my first set of full range passive speakers coming in a couple weeks. A big ass amp to power them is already here. I'm eager to compare the passives versus the nice active Opals I have now.

But for more producers, I definitely think active is the way to go. More bang for your buck, in terms of volume, accuracy, and repeatability.

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:11 am

Tarekith wrote:I think in general producers use active speakers more for repeatability. You know your KRK's or Genelecs will sound the same as any other pair of that exact same model. It gives manufacturers more control to tailor the sound of the speaker/amp to be exactly what THEY want it to sound like based on their experience and research.
That's an excellent point. Makes sense.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:57 am

Tarekith wrote:If you're spending $10k on a pair of speakers, you (most likely) know how to listen to detail and can experiment with various amps/cables/etc to make things sound how YOU want.
NOW you're telling me... :cry: :oops:

:wink:

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:35 am

That sounds a bit like saying people willing to spend £500k on a car are the best drivers or drive for a living.

Never underestimate the ignorant rich's desire to just get the most expensive shit for the sake of it.

Are you old money, sporkles? Play polo?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:09 pm

I'm just taking the piss. I've been mixing on my (active!) Behringer Truths for ... I dunno, eight, nine years?

derzai

Post by derzai » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:02 pm

sporkles wrote:I'm just taking the piss. I've been mixing on my (active!) Behringer Truths for ... I dunno, eight, nine years?
i think knotkranky is in a different league. say you want to check how the music will sound in a cinema, then you will need what he is saying, i guess.

i got myself a pair of eris e5, they received without cables, then i ordered cables, they sent me females (nothing against females of course. lol.) but i needed males, will arrive tonight.

anyways.

derzai

Post by derzai » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Tarekith wrote:I think in general producers use active speakers more for repeatability. You know your KRK's or Genelecs will sound the same as any other pair of that exact same model. It gives manufacturers more control to tailor the sound of the speaker/amp to be exactly what THEY want it to sound like based on their experience and research.

Passive speakers, especially the expensive type, are more about letting the user tailor the way things sound. If you're spending $10k on a pair of speakers, you (most likely) know how to listen to detail and can experiment with various amps/cables/etc to make things sound how YOU want.

At least, that's how I look at it.

We'll see, I have my first set of full range passive speakers coming in a couple weeks. A big ass amp to power them is already here. I'm eager to compare the passives versus the nice active Opals I have now.

But for more producers, I definitely think active is the way to go. More bang for your buck, in terms of volume, accuracy, and repeatability.
full range. i built a tl design with a fostex full range driver, about a decade ago. i used two times 23 mm mdf, so the speaker had a weight of about 40 kgs each. when i had to move i left them there. i had them connected to an old luxman amp. l-31, gave away this amp.

derzai

Post by derzai » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:13 pm

andydes wrote:That sounds a bit like saying people willing to spend £500k on a car are the best drivers or drive for a living.

Never underestimate the ignorant rich's desire to just get the most expensive shit for the sake of it.
I used to hitchhike when in my twenties. I got once driven from Freiburg Germany to Zurich Switserland in a Rolls Royce Corniche Convertible. Guy from Berlin drove it. i can tell you that Rolls Royces are very comfortable. But of course doesn't say anything about the driver. Could tell you some stories about excellent drivers in old opel kadetts. lol.

on other occasion.

andydes

Post by andydes » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:12 pm

derzai wrote:
andydes wrote:That sounds a bit like saying people willing to spend £500k on a car are the best drivers or drive for a living.

I used to hitchhike when in my twenties. I got once driven from Freiburg Germany to Zurich Switserland in a Rolls Royce Corniche Convertible. Guy from Berlin drove it. i can tell you that Rolls Royces are very comfortable. But of course doesn't say anything about the driver. Could tell you some stories about excellent drivers in old opel kadetts. lol.

on other occasion.
I expect nothing less hitch hiking. If a Merc or Lexus pulls up, I'd tell them to fuck off.

derzai

Post by derzai » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:39 pm

andydes wrote:I expect nothing less hitch hiking. If a Merc or Lexus pulls up, I'd tell them to fuck off.
lol.