should i opt for passive or active monitors?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
derzai

Re: should i opt for passive or active monitors?

Post by derzai » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:43 pm

these drivers i used. i painted the cabinets green. hamorite green. after a while the drivers started to irritate me, only for the way they looked. but they sounded well.

derzai

Post by derzai » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:45 pm

classic tl design, i used this article.

http://t-linespeakers.org/design/classic.html

Transmission line speaker box math made easy (video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF7N8u9u3rc

There is some calculation involved. Eventually you have to tune the thing with damping.

The guy in the video takes the speed of sound in free air to put in his calculation, but if you dampen, the speed of sound can go down to 300 m/s. so i think he is wrong. buh.

derzai

Post by derzai » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:46 am

TomViolenz wrote:Hah, but is it tuned to 432Hz?! :mrgreen:
432 fahrenheit.

andydes

Post by andydes » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:16 pm

I had to look one up. And found this-

http://www.zengardner.com/440hz-music-c ... harmonics/
A=432 Hz, known as Verdi’s ‘A’ is an alternative tuning that is mathematically consistent with the universe. Music based on 432 Hz transmits beneficial healing energy, because it is a pure tone of math fundamental to nature.

There is a theory that the change from 432 Hz to 440 Hz was dictated by Nazi propaganda minister, Joseph Goebbels. He used it to make people think and feel a certain manner, and to make them a prisoner of a certain consciousness. Then around 1940 the United States introduced 440 Hz worldwide, and finally in 1953 it became the ISO 16-standard.
8O
:lol:

I propose an alternative theory. Retuning your music to 432Hz makes you go bat shit crazy.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:28 pm

andydes wrote:
I had to look one up. And found this-

http://www.zengardner.com/440hz-music-c ... harmonics/
A=432 Hz, known as Verdi’s ‘A’ is an alternative tuning that is mathematically consistent with the universe. Music based on 432 Hz transmits beneficial healing energy, because it is a pure tone of math fundamental to nature.

There is a theory that the change from 432 Hz to 440 Hz was dictated by Nazi propaganda minister, Joseph Goebbels. He used it to make people think and feel a certain manner, and to make them a prisoner of a certain consciousness. Then around 1940 the United States introduced 440 Hz worldwide, and finally in 1953 it became the ISO 16-standard.
8O
:lol:

I propose an alternative theory. Retuning your music to 432Hz makes you go bat shit crazy.
Hey andy check out the general forum, you are missing out on all the kooky fun :mrgreen:

andydes

Post by andydes » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Excellent. I've been neglecting the "serious" forum.

I'll hop on over and Godwin the hell out that thread.

:twisted:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:51 pm

andydes wrote:Excellent. I've been neglecting the "serious" forum.

I'll hop on over and Godwin the hell out that thread.

:twisted:
We all have to do our part ;-)

derzai

Post by derzai » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:21 am

Didnt know about this thread. Yeh, 440 might sound a little warmer. I put on 220 and then the central c on 72. for the extra two octaves.

derzai

Post by derzai » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:23 am

TomViolenz wrote:We all have to do our part ;-)
Keine Arbeit da in Pankow? :|

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:50 am

derzai wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:We all have to do our part ;-)
Keine Arbeit da in Pankow? :|
:? You confuse me every time.
I don't even live in Pankow and why would you think I do?!

derzai

Post by derzai » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:16 pm

TomViolenz wrote: :? You confuse me every time.
I don't even live in Pankow and why would you think I do?!
No, i thought you were living in what was the former east Berlin, my mistake.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:26 am

derzai wrote:
sporkles wrote:I'm just taking the piss. I've been mixing on my (active!) Behringer Truths for ... I dunno, eight, nine years?
i think knotkranky is in a different league. say you want to check how the music will sound in a cinema, then you will need what he is saying, i guess.

i got myself a pair of eris e5, they received without cables, then i ordered cables, they sent me females (nothing against females of course. lol.) but i needed males, will arrive tonight.

anyways.
Well hold on a minute, i'm not saying anybody is doing anything wrong or knocking your rig. Hell no. It's about power. More power is better. More headroom sounds better than less headroom. Unless you have thin walls and don't care.

My 15 year system isn't big or pricey; Quested h108's(8"), bryston 4bst 300 watt 4ohms per side. Under 2.5k usd total on the reasonable market. I've added a tannoy ts12 powered sub for properly represented lows. Doesn't matter, there are lots of products that are just as good. No magic in this setup. Just big, clear, extended spl's when ya want em. I take my 'actives' and powered sub if i'm mobile. They do much better with a sub which is the way to get lots more power out of any active setup imo. It's just my experience. I don't mean to preach any method.

derzai

Post by derzai » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:10 pm

knotkranky wrote:Well hold on a minute, i'm not saying anybody is doing anything wrong or knocking your rig. Hell no. It's about power. More power is better. More headroom sounds better than less headroom. Unless you have thin walls and don't care.

My 15 year system isn't big or pricey; Quested h108's(8"), bryston 4bst 300 watt 4ohms per side. Under 2.5k usd total on the reasonable market. I've added a tannoy ts12 powered sub for properly represented lows. Doesn't matter, there are lots of products that are just as good. No magic in this setup. Just big, clear, extended spl's when ya want em. I take my 'actives' and powered sub if i'm mobile. They do much better with a sub which is the way to get lots more power out of any active setup imo. It's just my experience. I don't mean to preach any method.
You mean the headroom you have in the power? Say you put out of your amp 1 watt and then there is a surplus of 299?

I ask because couple of years ago there was a heated discussion about headroom in the mix. Some said you had to sent the tracks to the mastering engineer at minus 18, other said minus 6 was fine.

But that is different discussion I think.

The quested i found used for 300 pound sterling.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quested-H108- ... 0637299397

Thanks for commenting.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:39 am

300£ is really great. I'd buy those and replace the speaks. Then they're brand new. Cost me 1,900usd new, a long time ago. Btw i'm certain minus 18 is rms and the minus 6 is peak. Those dudes were ref'ing two different meters in their suggestions.

So many things go into an awesome amp. Lots to go into, but the big heavy amps with those big transformers sound really good.

You'd be surprised how loud and clear they stay before the peak light flickers compared to actives. It's the amp. They've got to fit inside a little box along with the acoustic considerations. Low wattage, and little to no old school analog amp inerds.

I don't think the newer dsp amps touch the analog amps by an f'in mile.

Anyway, headroom is clear xtra gain in this instance. Less distortion at louder levels. And you don't need to break the bank. Cheers