Alternative Lounge, now the Lounge is dead: the Nebulounge!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Forge.

Alternative Lounge, now the Lounge is dead: the Nebulounge!

Post by Forge. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:53 am

I just remembered Nebulae's forum!

It's still there. Neb's a cool guy and so are the people who post there. It's a bit of a snapshot in time from the first contractions of the death of the Ableton forum when General was first turned into the Lounge.

http://nebulae.com/forum

Now that the "experiment that was the lounge" has been aborted, and the Ableton forum that was breathes its last, I highly encourage those of you who've been here a while and will miss it to go there and join up. You'll have to ask him to join as it's a private forum, (I'll vouch for you newbies, like the Finn and TomViolenz if he doesn't recognise you!) and I think he even moved his hosting to a country that was less spy susceptible, (if that's even possible) - the point being he wants people to be able to say whatever the hell they like and there's no twats ruining it.

H20nly

Re: Alternative Lounge, now the Lounge is dead: the Nebulounge!

Post by H20nly » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:07 am

hear here. freedom of speech and camaraderie lives there...

not for those with thin skin or the propensity to get agro about treating other posters as though we are all part of something... like friendship. imagine that.

there have been posters here that mock the notion of us (as in forum members) giving a fuck about one another or regarding each other as friends... even though and/or because we're online. a damn shame really. we share a space... we should be allowed to disagree and then move on... that's what men do... i always thought... duke it out and then call it quits... share a beer and a hand shake and move on. maybe it's because i played rugby. *shrugs* i've made some of the most solid friends in my life that started out as enemies. making peace is a blessing. pride is a curse.

i've learned a lot here over the years... about Live, about music, about gear, about the world, about the fact that someone somewhere will help me if i have a question and they have an answer.

along the way... i've come across some seriously cool people on this forum. some of them i've gone on to meet in real life. some of them i'd like to. some i've worked on music with... some of those have been generous and kind mentors (RIP leedsquietman any and all music i make is dedicated in part to you).

i probably shouldn't be saying any of this... why? because someone will hate on it. so fuck it... i'm saying anyway. deal with it.

thanks Forge.

peace to the people.

thank you Ableton for this space.

i'm sorry to any and everyone who i've offended. please forgive my shortsightedness. i have no ill will in my heart to anyone... except those evil power whores and politicians who oppress us all. i know none of them are on this forum and none of them are making music with Live.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:32 am

H20nly wrote:
anyway... i've met some seriously cool people on this forum. some of them i've gone on to meet in real life. some of them i'd like to. some i've worked on music with... some of those have been generous and kind mentors (RIP leedsquietman any and all music i make is dedicated in part to you).
It was actually (after having been a lurker for a while), watching the heartfelt condolences pouring out fo him, what made me participate in the forums more actively. The following experience didn't quite live up to that, but it has been mostly a fun ride...

Oh, and +1 on the online friendship thing!

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:49 am

H20nly wrote:...shrugs* i've made some of the most solid friends in my life that started out as enemies. making peace is a blessing. pride is a curse. .
watched Shaolin last night... great movie.

The buddhist idea of repentance shown there is probably not that much different to the Christian idea, but both are aimed at different people.

The simple lesson is the same: greed fucks you up.

[edit...] the thing that made me think of that was the bit about people changing and enemies choosing to no longer be enemies.... or the realisation that none of this shit really matters that much.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:36 am

^shit, I just got religious! Does that mean I put a target on this thread?

rozling

Post by rozling » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:53 pm

Forge. wrote:Now that the "experiment that was the lounge" has been aborted, and the Ableton forum that was breathes its last.
What actually happened? Did I miss a memo? One minute we're all actually having a constructive conversation for once and now the thread's deleted?

:(

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:17 pm

rozling wrote:
Forge. wrote:Now that the "experiment that was the lounge" has been aborted, and the Ableton forum that was breathes its last.
What actually happened? Did I miss a memo? One minute we're all actually having a constructive conversation for once and now the thread's deleted?

:(
That's about the ghist of it :(

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:04 am

I have no idea, I went to bed and woke up and it was gone

so if that thread was too political then to be honest I have little interest in talking about what interfaces work on Mavericks all day after all these years

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:02 am

I think this is an aspect of the Lounge they don't see. The people who are around to help the noobs in the general section, are often here because they hang out in the Lounge too.
Take half of the reason away to hang out on the Live forums, and you may take more than half of the helpful posters away in the process.
I at least don't see much exitement in hanging out here, if it's just to help people figure out how to use the freaking drum rack...

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:46 am

TomViolenz wrote:I think this is an aspect of the Lounge they don't see. The people who are around to help the noobs in the general section, are often here because they hang out in the Lounge too.
Take half of the reason away to hang out on the Live forums, and you may take more than half of the helpful posters away in the process.
I at least don't see much exitement in hanging out here, if it's just to help people figure out how to use the freaking drum rack...

they actually used to see that very well. Ableton has grown into a gigantic corporate beast that is nothing like what it was when it started out last decade.

I guess it's fair enough that they have to grow up as they are now a big company, and they have to inhabit this new sterile internet world we all seem to be moving into.

But speaking from my own humble experience, I stuck around on this forum mainly because of the quality of conversation. Ableton seemed to attract cool people from its inception. Of course, the lax moderation policy meant a few twits took the piss, but overwhelmingly the results of the lounge experiment were actually positive. I can only count 4 people who really abused the arrangement, and I would love to know how old they were. Two of them I think just weren't able to see it. But still, it would be much easier to ignore or monitor those small few than maintain a ban on politics and religion.

People can only really interact if they can speak their minds and get to know each other as real human beings.

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:26 am

Forge. wrote:People can only really interact if they can speak their minds and get to know each other as real human beings.
True, but don't make the mistake of thinking that The-Powers-That-Be, to quote Angel (the TV series), are interested in or even approve of genuine human interaction (see [the deleted thread]).

Is anyone welcome to sign up at Nebulae's forum? I've been homeless ever since the Reason forum got shut down due to "potential, but not yet manifested" hackers...

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:20 pm

I consider neb a good friend but when he started his own forum I really wasn’t bothered by how things were going in The Lounge. I think it was only a minor censorship issue and more of an issue with people getting emotionally invested in the trolls and letting it get to them. Maybe there were some personal attacks. I really don’t remember.

My main issue with neb’s forum was the potential NSFW content, and say what you want about this forum’s color scheme, this place looks harmless from at least a distance. When at work I don’t need to click on a link that leads to a tit shot on a brightly (comparatively) formatted site.

Also I enjoyed the noobs and mults that would join this forum. Not sure where those would come from on neb’s forum.

But as it’s been years since I went there maybe it’s time to check in and see how things are going, probably won’t participate much though if it’s all a sea of highbrow chin stroking on world affairs occasionally punctuated by a beaver shot.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:43 pm

beats me wrote: When at work I don’t need to click on a link that leads to a tit shot on a brightly (comparatively) formatted site.
that's what keeps me from frequenting it more. even being responsible and just taking a quick peak on my break can be dangerous... uncensored is just that... so even looking at the subject of the topics can sometimes be a little risky. still, the vibes there are great.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:00 pm

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Total members 39
I don't know, seems really awefully private.
Besides, the general section and the Push section are still a draw for me to hang out here.
I wouldn't be interested in a Lounge only forum.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:12 pm

I think I could rise to the challenge of posting interesting topics in here that aren’t political or religious but it’s not much fun when people aren’t going to participate. Ironically I think if we were to meet up at a pub we wouldn’t spend much time in person discussing the topics that seem all so important on here to some people that we can no longer discuss, at least that’s been my experience.