SF Wed/Thu

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: SF Wed/Thu

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:42 pm

andydes wrote: We have London over here that attracts everyone
London... that's the only city in England right?

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:32 pm

H20nly wrote:
Seems to be that way. Everyone goes there because the streets are paved with gold or something.

I think it would be be better to spread things around a bit more.

That won't happen, of course, because London's bad ass, and Birmingham and Manchester are full of poor people. And we can't have that can we?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:42 pm

H20nly wrote:

No, dumbass. There's also Westeros, Winterfell, Lannisport, Essos, and Kings Landing. Try getting out of the house and learning about the world outside the US. You make Americans look bad. :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:46 pm

^ ah yes, right across the street from country of Paris.

andydes wrote:London's bad ass, and Birmingham and Manchester are full of poor people. And we can't have that can we?
tsk tsk!

i lived in the UK when i was younger and all my (blood) relatives are from there... if i had a dollar (or a pound) for every time someone said "in London?" or "didn't you used to live in London?" i would have enough money for a plane ticket back.

i lived in Derbyshire... it's not even close. :roll:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:54 pm

ha! google earth... cool or creepy? the verdict is still out...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=derbyshi ... 5,,0,20.63

i lived in the house on the end, right side, white door.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:03 pm

andydes wrote:
beats me wrote:
The problem is SF got taken over by the tech industry and creative people can’t afford to live there anymore and a lot of them have moved to LA over the last decade. What’s stupider is the heavy hitter tech companies aren’t even in SF but have a fleet of buses that take their employees back and forth so they don’t have to worry about commuting, paying for public transportation, or traveling with the commoner. That’s pissing a lot of people off right now.
Wonder if the situation is as mental as it is in London?

There seems to be two factors. First, you have gentrification (now know as shoreditchfrication. Creative types move into shitty area because they can get art/music/fashion studios relatively cheap. Area becomes "cool" and the city arseholes and property investors swoop in. Soon the people who made the area nice in the first place are forced out.

At the other end of the scale, because of the crazy state of UK property market, overseas investors buy up high end property as an investment. They often don't even bother renting it out. They can make a packet just sitting on it. Check this out-

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... -hampstead
:x
Last edited by TomViolenz on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:16 pm

When my parents sold their house 3 or 4 years ago I posted on here that not one American was a potential buyer and that a lot of migrants from Asia and India were scooping up properties here and paying in full with cash, and raising the cost of living for those of us who have always lived here. I got accused of being a xenophobe for stating those facts. :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:34 pm

awe shit...

duck and cover, stop drop and roll...

i'm outta here... :arrow:

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:35 pm

beats me wrote:When my parents sold their house 3 or 4 years ago I posted on here that not one American was a potential buyer and that a lot of migrants from Asia and India were scooping up properties here and paying in full with cash, and raising the cost of living for those of us who have always lived here. I got accused of being a xenophobe for stating those facts. :x
Last edited by TomViolenz on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andydes

Post by andydes » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:13 am

TomViolenz wrote: Same thing happens in Berlin. Worst thing? There was a huge pick up from Greek investors, after the crisis hit greece! Yep, all the rich assholes who never payed taxes, now move their money out of the country, to buy appartment blocks in Berlin. Result: Prices go way up. Funny thing is, Berlin is actually pretty poor! So there are not a huge number of people that can pay these prices, but they still keep going up! Supply and demand my ass :x
Although I'm outraged by this kind of thing, I have to admit I was thinking of buying something in Bremen. But then I realised that tenants in Germany have things called "rights" which would prevent me from hiking up prices or throwing them out on a whim.

So I'll just keep my 1 small flat property empire in England.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:34 am

andydes wrote:
TomViolenz wrote: Same thing happens in Berlin. Worst thing? There was a huge pick up from Greek investors, after the crisis hit greece! Yep, all the rich assholes who never payed taxes, now move their money out of the country, to buy appartment blocks in Berlin. Result: Prices go way up. Funny thing is, Berlin is actually pretty poor! So there are not a huge number of people that can pay these prices, but they still keep going up! Supply and demand my ass :x
Although I'm outraged by this kind of thing, I have to admit I was thinking of buying something in Bremen. But then I realised that tenants in Germany have things called "rights" which would prevent me from hiking up prices or throwing them out on a whim.

So I'll just keep my 1 small flat property empire in England.
Last edited by TomViolenz on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:59 am

If you're really into redistributing wealth, I take Paypal and I'm not opposed to a Money Order.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:45 am

H20nly wrote:If you're really into redistributing wealth, I take Paypal and I'm not opposed to a Money Order.
:wink:
Last edited by TomViolenz on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:51 pm

H20nly wrote:send a PM if you do...

hope you had a good time/found some good vinyl
cheers man will definitely take you up on that, although getting to SF for me is a rarity!
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:43 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
beats me wrote:When my parents sold their house 3 or 4 years ago I posted on here that not one American was a potential buyer and that a lot of migrants from Asia and India were scooping up properties here and paying in full with cash, and raising the cost of living for those of us who have always lived here. I got accused of being a xenophobe for stating those facts. :x
The problem with the whole xenophopy thing is, that it is all based on the us vs. them theme and the outdated concept of nation states. This leads you to say the Indians were buying it up, meaning some rich asshole from the nation state of India.
The usual do-gooder (I would classify myself in this group) hears Indian and thinks of all the poor bastards from India (who probably are poor because your rich indian guy ripped 'em off), and thinks this attack is really unfair.
So in the end it's a communications fail (Though I believe, the powers that be like it that way- divide and conquer).

We are talking about the 1%ers fucking everyone, and race and nationality have no effect on this, except as a distraction from the man behind the curtain!

The only reason I brought it up is because other posters on here have mentioned foreign interests sweeping in, in their country and causing similar issues. But I would also argue that it’s mostly getting a xenophobia pass because for all intents and purposes other countries are talking about other white people encroaching on white people. If you can’t make a quick visual assessment in differences then people don’t instantly jump to that xenophobia conclusion. They can just step back and look at the facts.