Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
re:dream
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by re:dream » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:14 pm

beats me wrote:
Forge. wrote:you're not usually one for the conspiracy theories beats

8)

Well, damnit it does sound like a conspiracy. Within hours “It’s heroin. Needle in his arm. Bags of heroin all over the place. A couple even labeled. Move along. Nothing to see here.” 8)
Maybe Keanu wanted him out of the way.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:17 pm

Angstrom wrote:Notourious local Smack-head plumber dies, no problem, good riddance.

Notorious Smack-head who plays make-believe for a living dies, a tragic mystery, call Columbo.
Hoffman had candidly spoken in the past of his struggle against drug addiction, including a 2006 interview in which he told CBS he had at times abused "anything I could get my hands on. I liked it all".
He admitted in May 2013 he had entered rehab a year earlier, spending 10 days in treatment.


All I’m saying is in past celebrity deaths the police haven’t been so quick to announce what the cause was…even when it was obvious.

stringtapper
Posts: 6272
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by stringtapper » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:05 pm

Did the police actually let it out though?

I was under the impression that is was the guy who found him (a producer?) who let it out.
Unsound Designer

earthloop
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:58 pm

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by earthloop » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:07 pm

beats me wrote:I think a fear of needles also kept a lot of people disinterested. Might as well do meth instead I guess. But now people are getting wind you can snort or smoke heroin too. :x

I don’t know. I think you have to have either a super low self-esteem or IQ or both to even entertain trying a drug that doesn’t end well for most people in a very short time frame.
Many years ago I 'snorted' Heroin...brown rocks, burnt on a spoon...snorted through a Bic biro tube! Ended up so smashed I tried to walk across a main road and got stuck in the middle...I was walking in slow motion. It took 5 days to shake off the withdrawals of that one hit. I have a morbid fear of needles which is why I tried it that way......I think that is the only thing which saved me from Heroin in the seventies!

The reason I am telling this is that since then I have had a diagnosis of a disorder which includes, as part of it, OCD! I have had problems with gambling (poker machines) and I have, in recent times, studied Neuroscience at university to learn how my disability works. I have discovered that there is a direct co-relation between the percentage of people in the community with OCD and with people with long term drug or other habitual behaviours!

I have an IQ recently measured by the state Neuroscience unit above 140!!! This demonstrates that addiction is NOT a function of low IQ . It clearly IS a symptom of a medical disorder...one which often goes un-diagnosed accurately. Often diagnosed as a depressive disorder...SO WRONG!!!

Sorry to go on longer than I intended. It's just that I am pretty much an expert in this area. In fact, because I have OCD and a high IQ, I have two degrees AND an Honours in one of them plus parts of two others. You surely can see from my confessions here that there is a serious lack of accurate diagnosis of the primary cause of addictive behaviours.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:44 pm

earthloop wrote:
beats me wrote:I think a fear of needles also kept a lot of people disinterested. Might as well do meth instead I guess. But now people are getting wind you can snort or smoke heroin too. :x

I don’t know. I think you have to have either a super low self-esteem or IQ or both to even entertain trying a drug that doesn’t end well for most people in a very short time frame.
Many years ago I 'snorted' Heroin...brown rocks, burnt on a spoon...snorted through a Bic biro tube! Ended up so smashed I tried to walk across a main road and got stuck in the middle...I was walking in slow motion. It took 5 days to shake off the withdrawals of that one hit. I have a morbid fear of needles which is why I tried it that way......I think that is the only thing which saved me from Heroin in the seventies!

The reason I am telling this is that since then I have had a diagnosis of a disorder which includes, as part of it, OCD! I have had problems with gambling (poker machines) and I have, in recent times, studied Neuroscience at university to learn how my disability works. I have discovered that there is a direct co-relation between the percentage of people in the community with OCD and with people with long term drug or other habitual behaviours!

I have an IQ recently measured by the state Neuroscience unit above 140!!! This demonstrates that addiction is NOT a function of low IQ . It clearly IS a symptom of a medical disorder...one which often goes un-diagnosed accurately. Often diagnosed as a depressive disorder...SO WRONG!!!

Sorry to go on longer than I intended. It's just that I am pretty much an expert in this area. In fact, because I have OCD and a high IQ, I have two degrees AND an Honours in one of them plus parts of two others. You surely can see from my confessions here that there is a serious lack of accurate diagnosis of the primary cause of addictive behaviours.


I made a stupid uneducated sweeping generalization. Sorry about that. I was basing it mostly on even amongst drug users/experimenters there’s just some drugs you don’t do. But also I’ve never been at the peak of a high or buzz and had somebody offer me heroin. Who knows how I would react, but I have turned down meth in that state so I’m somewhat confident I’d also turn down heroin.

H20nly
Posts: 15838
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:59 pm

beats me wrote:Some are theorizing that with young people a lot of time has been wasted warning them against the dangers of pot. Young people figured out the warnings on pot were way over exaggerated so maybe they’ve been lied to about all other drugs too. :x
this.

why should i believe them after they just spent 5 pages complete with caricatures lying to me? after reading the bullshit in pamphlets in the office at school about pot, it just made LSD, mushrooms, peyote, and even PCP sound that much more fun.

the first 3 were.

TAINTLICK
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by TAINTLICK » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Angstrom wrote:Notourious local Smack-head plumber dies, no problem, good riddance.

Notorious Smack-head who plays make-believe for a living dies, a tragic mystery, call Columbo.

HERE'S THE THING. HOFFMAN WAS THE KIND OF GUY YOU'D WANT TO HAVE A BROMANCE WITH AND DO A COUPLE OF SPEEDBALLS WHILST TWO HOT HOOKERS LICK EACH OTHER'S SNATCHES IN FRONT OF YOU.

THE PLUMBER WAS NOT.

Samuel L. Jizzle
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:42 am

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:30 pm

earthloop wrote:
beats me wrote:I think a fear of needles also kept a lot of people disinterested. Might as well do meth instead I guess. But now people are getting wind you can snort or smoke heroin too. :x

I don’t know. I think you have to have either a super low self-esteem or IQ or both to even entertain trying a drug that doesn’t end well for most people in a very short time frame.
Many years ago I 'snorted' Heroin...brown rocks, burnt on a spoon...snorted through a Bic biro tube! Ended up so smashed I tried to walk across a main road and got stuck in the middle...I was walking in slow motion. It took 5 days to shake off the withdrawals of that one hit. I have a morbid fear of needles which is why I tried it that way......I think that is the only thing which saved me from Heroin in the seventies!

The reason I am telling this is that since then I have had a diagnosis of a disorder which includes, as part of it, OCD! I have had problems with gambling (poker machines) and I have, in recent times, studied Neuroscience at university to learn how my disability works. I have discovered that there is a direct co-relation between the percentage of people in the community with OCD and with people with long term drug or other habitual behaviours!

I have an IQ recently measured by the state Neuroscience unit above 140!!! This demonstrates that addiction is NOT a function of low IQ . It clearly IS a symptom of a medical disorder...one which often goes un-diagnosed accurately. Often diagnosed as a depressive disorder...SO WRONG!!!

Sorry to go on longer than I intended. It's just that I am pretty much an expert in this area. In fact, because I have OCD and a high IQ, I have two degrees AND an Honours in one of them plus parts of two others. You surely can see from my confessions here that there is a serious lack of accurate diagnosis of the primary cause of addictive behaviours.
That you claim to have a high IQ and two degrees doesn't make you right though ;)

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:44 pm

earthloop wrote:
beats me wrote:I think a fear of needles also kept a lot of people disinterested. Might as well do meth instead I guess. But now people are getting wind you can snort or smoke heroin too. :x

I don’t know. I think you have to have either a super low self-esteem or IQ or both to even entertain trying a drug that doesn’t end well for most people in a very short time frame.
Many years ago I 'snorted' Heroin...brown rocks, burnt on a spoon...snorted through a Bic biro tube! Ended up so smashed I tried to walk across a main road and got stuck in the middle...I was walking in slow motion. It took 5 days to shake off the withdrawals of that one hit. I have a morbid fear of needles which is why I tried it that way......I think that is the only thing which saved me from Heroin in the seventies!

The reason I am telling this is that since then I have had a diagnosis of a disorder which includes, as part of it, OCD! I have had problems with gambling (poker machines) and I have, in recent times, studied Neuroscience at university to learn how my disability works. I have discovered that there is a direct co-relation between the percentage of people in the community with OCD and with people with long term drug or other habitual behaviours!

I have an IQ recently measured by the state Neuroscience unit above 140!!! This demonstrates that addiction is NOT a function of low IQ . It clearly IS a symptom of a medical disorder...one which often goes un-diagnosed accurately. Often diagnosed as a depressive disorder...SO WRONG!!!

Sorry to go on longer than I intended. It's just that I am pretty much an expert in this area. In fact, because I have OCD and a high IQ, I have two degrees AND an Honours in one of them plus parts of two others. You surely can see from my confessions here that there is a serious lack of accurate diagnosis of the primary cause of addictive behaviours.
I think people with high IQ are actually in more danger of being thrill seekers (which is basically what all this drug use thing is). We see though all the bullshit and just constantly ask ourselves: Damn, there MUST be more to this. It's like watching a play, where you know every fucking next turn already. Who wouldn't hope for a little twist in the whole story... :x

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:03 pm

TomViolenz wrote:I think people with high IQ are actually in more danger of being thrill seekers (which is basically what all this drug use thing is). We see though all the bullshit and just constantly ask ourselves: Damn, there MUST be more to this. It's like watching a play, where you know every fucking next turn already. Who wouldn't hope for a little twist in the whole story... :x


Or just move to a nice nature filled setting away from society’s distractions. Although that’s probably also an age related thing. Seems young people don’t appreciate that because they turn to drugs declaring there’s really nothing else to do. I highly doubt somebody who has never done drugs before wakes up at the age of 45 and goes “I’m fucking sick of waking up to this lake and these trees with no neighbors in earshot!! I should try this speedball thing.”

Samuel L. Jizzle
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:42 am

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:13 pm

"Drugs"—when there's nothing else we're allowed to talk about. :lol:

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:18 pm

beats me wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:I think people with high IQ are actually in more danger of being thrill seekers (which is basically what all this drug use thing is). We see though all the bullshit and just constantly ask ourselves: Damn, there MUST be more to this. It's like watching a play, where you know every fucking next turn already. Who wouldn't hope for a little twist in the whole story... :x


Or just move to a nice nature filled setting away from society’s distractions. Although that’s probably also an age related thing. Seems young people don’t appreciate that because they turn to drugs declaring there’s really nothing else to do. I highly doubt somebody who has never done drugs before wakes up at the age of 45 and goes “I’m fucking sick of waking up to this lake and these trees with no neighbors in earshot!! I should try this speedball thing.”
I've lived in a big city all my life, so maybe you're right, I wouldn't know. But what I hear from the country folks coming here, it's even worse in the small towns and villages. And from them the explanation really is: There was nothing better to do...

Forge.
Posts: 5792
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by Forge. » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:26 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
I think people with high IQ are actually in more danger of being thrill seekers (which is basically what all this drug use thing is). We see though all the bullshit and just constantly ask ourselves: Damn, there MUST be more to this. It's like watching a play, where you know every fucking next turn already. Who wouldn't hope for a little twist in the whole story... :x
Also, high IQ can result in a feeling of alienation. I actually got tested recently because I wondered if I was dyslexic due to visual problems and came out in the top 2%, and I was surprised because I went through school feeling like a failure. I just couldn't slot in with the way they ran things at school and was bored shitless most of the time. I didn't think I was stupid, but it was a genuine surprise to discover I was top 2%, and it made me realise just how much that really contributed to a feeling of not fitting in etc... so yeah, things like that I definitely think can add to the desire to get high.

It was a wake up call to realise that the education system is set up in a way that it can actually discourage intelligent people from doing well.

TomViolenz
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:46 am

Forge. wrote:
It was a wake up call to realise that the education system is set up in a way that it can actually discourage intelligent people from doing well.
The education system is set up in a way that makes people either fit in and be good little drones, or be broken and not pose a disturbance to the way things are.

That was certainly true in East Germany and no matter how much the West likes to talk about idividuality or personal freedoms, that's not less true today. It's all just an empty cover story.
Self actualization will never be the aim in educating the masses. Probably for good reason too, sad as it is...but I doubt a society of free self thinking people would actually work.

Doesn't mean one should take it laying down...

stringtapper
Posts: 6272
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by stringtapper » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:21 am

IQ tests are often wildly erratic ways to test cognitive ability. I have tested between 130 and 160 on multiple tests. I know this because both of my parents were special education diagnosticians and they used to use me as their guinea pig whenever they got updated test kits. The tests are often biased and inconsistent in their methods.
Unsound Designer

Post Reply