Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:35 pm

Usual RIP sentiments aside, I didn’t know much of the man’s personal life and just assumed he had his shit together given the caliber and frequency of his acting. Also in past celebrity deaths the person could have their skull crushed in and they’d still spend a week determining and announcing cause of death. With Philip it seems like it was just hours before the police announced it was heroin. A bit odd.

TomViolenz

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:55 pm

beats me wrote:Usual RIP sentiments aside, I didn’t know much of the man’s personal life and just assumed he had his shit together given the caliber and frequency of his acting. Also in past celebrity deaths the person could have their skull crushed in and they’d still spend a week determining and announcing cause of death. With Philip it seems like it was just hours before the police announced it was heroin. A bit odd.
Apparently he had a long known history of serious drug problems. Fucking Heroin! NOT EVEN ONCE!!!!! :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:15 pm

Yeah, now these articles are popping are up about how cheap, accessible, and appealing heroin is. Wait what? If nothing else shows my old age, it’s that heroin has never seemed appealing to me and everybody I know would agree with me. Has public opinion on it recently shifted to “no big deal”?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:34 pm

beats me wrote:Yeah, now these articles are popping are up about how cheap, accessible, and appealing heroin is. Wait what? If nothing else shows my old age, it’s that heroin has never seemed appealing to me and everybody I know would agree with me. Has public opinion on it recently shifted to “no big deal”?
I shure hope not! Did people forget all these dirty junkies in the streets in the 80s? What the hell should be appealing about that?!

I mean all vices can get out of hand, but it seems Heroin always does!

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Some are theorizing that with young people a lot of time has been wasted warning them against the dangers of pot. Young people figured out the warnings on pot were way over exaggerated so maybe they’ve been lied to about all other drugs too. :x

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Yeah, probably. The biggest problem is that parents don't have real conversations with their kids (or with each other really)
Everything is black and white: Sex and drugs and any non-standard behaviour are always bad, bad, bad. No place for nuance. So the only thing the kids learn is, that so much about what the parents warn about is blown way out of proportion, that it should be disregarded.
Add to this, that young adults are risk seekers by nature and it's bound to get dangerous. The thing they really should have taught them is how to manage risk and what to do when things seem to be slipping. But no, once they slip, they are the bad kids, who only deserve punishment or medication or brainwashing through religion. The worst thing is, that the law is set up in a way, to further that fuck up cycle. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:38 pm

I think a fear of needles also kept a lot of people disinterested. Might as well do meth instead I guess. But now people are getting wind you can snort or smoke heroin too. :x

I don’t know. I think you have to have either a super low self-esteem or IQ or both to even entertain trying a drug that doesn’t end well for most people in a very short time frame.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:20 pm

beats me wrote:I think a fear of needles also kept a lot of people disinterested. Might as well do meth instead I guess. But now people are getting wind you can snort or smoke heroin too. :x

I don’t know. I think you have to have either a super low self-esteem or IQ or both to even entertain trying a drug that doesn’t end well for most people in a very short time frame.
The problem is low self-esteem describes a lot of teens. Add group pressure and an already very drug friendly peer group (let's say the partying kind) and it can happen faster than you'd think.

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:32 am

So the message we're to take home from his death is that smoking pot's ok?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:45 am

Um..... no?

I felt myself being really sad and angry. I watched him in the Master just the other day, and I was blown away at just how brilliant he was. What a waste :cry:

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:49 am

you're not usually one for the conspiracy theories beats

8)

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:52 am

beats me wrote:I think a fear of needles also kept a lot of people disinterested. Might as well do meth instead I guess. But now people are getting wind you can snort or smoke heroin too. :x

I think the thing is initially it can be one of the most amazing feelings possible for a human to experience, so all it takes is a moment of "fuck it all" to try it and people tend to go back for more.

the problem is that from then on, each time people take it the feeling gets less and less intense, then it eventually becomes just a way of stopping the withdrawal sickness. Once you pop you can't stop. Or was that Pringles?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:02 am

Forge. wrote:
I think the thing is initially it can be one of the most amazing feelings possible for a human to experience, so all it takes is a moment of "fuck it all" to try it and people tend to go back for more...

Or was that Pringles?
Pringles don't usually affect me in that way though.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:46 pm

Forge. wrote:you're not usually one for the conspiracy theories beats

8)

Well, damnit it does sound like a conspiracy. Within hours “It’s heroin. Needle in his arm. Bags of heroin all over the place. A couple even labeled. Move along. Nothing to see here.” 8)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:00 pm

Notourious local Smack-head plumber dies, no problem, good riddance.

Notorious Smack-head who plays make-believe for a living dies, a tragic mystery, call Columbo.
Hoffman had candidly spoken in the past of his struggle against drug addiction, including a 2006 interview in which he told CBS he had at times abused "anything I could get my hands on. I liked it all".
He admitted in May 2013 he had entered rehab a year earlier, spending 10 days in treatment.