Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Forge.

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman death, just weird

Post by Forge. » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:23 am

Yeah, they're far from perfect... but the point being they do at least give you some idea of potential and some cognitive abilities - I guess it's like that quote going around "if kid's can't learn the way we teach then we should teach them the way they learn" or something like that.

Having said that, I am impressed at how much my son's high school seems to be trying to address this. I just wasn't so lucky when I was at school, there were still teachers who thought the cane was a good idea and education should be beaten into kids.

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:19 am

Heh, my girlfriend tested higher than you midwits. :lol:

:x

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:54 am

you don't have a girlfriend

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:08 am

Will you be my girlfriend?

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:51 am

earthloop wrote: Many years ago I 'snorted' Heroin...brown rocks, burnt on a spoon...snorted through a Bic biro tube! Ended up so smashed I tried to walk across a main road and got stuck in the middle...I was walking in slow motion. It took 5 days to shake off the withdrawals of that one hit. I have a morbid fear of needles which is why I tried it that way......I think that is the only thing which saved me from Heroin in the seventies!
i tried it probably about 20 years ago, smoked it about twenty times or so over a few weeks. i thought it was quite nice but nothing amazing. i never had any inclination for it since.
in comparison to about 5 years ago when i had trouble with a kidney stone and ended up in a and e quite a few times getting medical grade morphine injected straight into my bloodstream. now that was freaking amazing. coupled with the nitrous oxide cylinder they gave me to breathe made it probably one of my favourite drug experiences. the ceiling was covered in penguins and every sound i heard turned into dub music. if i didnt have something that felt like a spiky cannonball blocking my ureter it would have been perfect

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:54 am

^ sounds like you just got shit smack then, because Heroin is 'diamorphine' so it should have been what you experienced there but stronger.
Last edited by Forge. on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:20 am

slatepipe wrote:
i tried it probably about 20 years ago, smoked it about twenty times or so over a few weeks. i thought it was quite nice but nothing amazing. i never had any inclination for it since.
I read T. Leary's biography recently, in which he is quoted with an anecdote, where he was invited to use Heroin in Afganistan (where he had fled to after his prison break, helped by the Black Panthers - That dude had a life story! 8O ) and he basically said: Meh..., boring.

I guess if development of consciousness and LSD is your thing, then feel good drugs, no matter how powerful, can go take a hike :mrgreen:
in comparison to about 5 years ago when i had trouble with a kidney stone and ended up in a and e quite a few times getting medical grade morphine injected straight into my bloodstream. now that was freaking amazing. coupled with the nitrous oxide cylinder they gave me to breathe made it probably one of my favourite drug experiences. the ceiling was covered in penguins and every sound i heard turned into dub music. if i didnt have something that felt like a spiky cannonball blocking my ureter it would have been perfect
I think you are describing the difference between injecting verses inhaling, more than a difference between the drugs themeselves. In principle the effect of H should be stronger than normal Opium.

I would never take either (except in a medical use obviously), because I'm with Leary on this: Too little gain for way too much risk!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:23 am

Samuel L. Jizzle wrote:Heh, my girlfriend tested higher than you midwits. :lol:

:x
Not if she puts up with you ;-)

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:08 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Too little gain for way too much risk!
yeh, my days of playing with fire in that respect are long gone. nowadays it's a few beers or some wine and sometimes some greenery

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:49 pm

Well, I just watched Capote to honour a light going out... good film. I had to find some real video of him on Youtube because the voice was so weird it was hard to believe, but it seemed pretty right.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:43 pm

@slatepipe

Before your heroin and morphine experiences did you write pop music?

Just thought I’d ask :) and possibly give you something to think about. 8O

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:32 pm

So they arrested 4 people in relationship to his drug stash. Although more directly related, it feels a bit like a shark attack when they go kill an arbitrary shark or two and tell everybody it’s safe to swim again. :?

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:58 am

beats me wrote:@slatepipe

Before your heroin and morphine experiences did you write pop music?

Just thought I’d ask :) and possibly give you something to think about. 8O
heheh, i guess i'd just started dabbling with instruments, recording, jamming and music aroundabout the same time as i tried that heroin crap but i honestly think it is entirely coincidental

the morphine experiences in hospital? well the morphine itself could probably have influenced the noises i make to some degree, but i can see that the overall hospital kidney stone morphine experiences definitely stimulated ideas and creativity in me and gave me inspiration which i then took further and developed into fully realised pieces of music, film and performance

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:15 am

I am a recovering drug addict and used heroin in particular for about 10 years. The stuff is no joke. I live in Pittsburgh, PA and heroin is the big thing around here. It has been since around 2000. That shit really fucked my life up for a long time and though I've clean and in recovery for a little over 6 years now, I still have to deal with a lot of wreckage from my past.

I can empathize w/ Hoffman. Heroin becomes your entire life. It permeates every little crevice of your existence and changes who you are. After awhile it is your one and ONLY coping mechanism. You need it in order to deal w/ ANYTHING and you need just to function on a daily basis. Shit is pure evil.

I also work in a rehab facility. Heroin is only getting worse here in Pittsburgh. The kids coming thru rehab are younger and younger and more and more people are dying. We just had a huge string of deaths from bags called "Theraflu" here in Pittsburgh. This batch was a lot more pure than what it usually is around here and a whole bunch of people died.

Addiction is a disease and I truly believe that.

Whizzercone

Post by Whizzercone » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:29 pm

It was President Snow after he discovered Philip was helping Katniss and the resistance. The heroin thing was just to cover it up.